Is there anything to a name?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think that someone's name may help or hinder them in the med school application process. By name I mean particularly the last name but I guess the first could matter as well.

I know if someone's name was Goober Numbnuts or something like that some ADCOMs may uncounsciously reject him. I can't imagine hearing over the hospital intercom, "Paging Dr. Numbnuts."

I did a search on my last name and found many people with my same last name who are MDs and DOs in high places. Some contributed money to hospitals, some are faculty members at medical schools, and one is even on some USMLE committee.

I know it may seem insignificant, but to an interviewer or admissions committee, if they see a name that they recognize as a "doctor-like" name, it might influence them to accept. What do people think?

Members don't see this ad.

umm.... i don't think it's fair to discriminate someone becuase they don't have a "doctor-like" name. If their stats and everything else are fine, i doubt that they really care what your name is. And there are some doctors with crazy names out there.

if anything i would put that applicants application at the top of my admit list and give him/her a full ride. the number of possible failures as a result of possibly putting a doofus through med school would be easily outweighed by the real benefits of hearing someone page Dr. Numbnuts over the hospital intercom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by musiclink213
umm.... i don't think it's fair to discriminate someone becuase they don't have a "doctor-like" name. If their stats and everything else are fine, i doubt that they really care what your name is. And there are some doctors with crazy names out there.
Yes I also believe it is unfair to discriminate against names. ADCOMs are people too and if they see a name that looks familiar, as long as other parts of the application are good, perhaps it would help a little despite how insignificant the help may be.

Give me some Doctor like names.

with the title i just have to show my shakesphere skills

romeo romeo wherefor out thou romeo deny thy father and refuse thy name or if thou will not be but sworn my love and i no longer will be a capulet for it is thy name that is my enemy but what is in a name it is nor arm nor foot nor face nor any other part belonging to a man but if thou were not called romeo.....blah blah blah :)

A name should not matter,,,,unless its a cuss word heheh

like meet the parents hehe

i was talking to my friend who said that there was a study done that said if a person's last name means something, they are more likely to become that thing. like, if a person's last name is Sprinter or something, they're more likely to become a runner. but i don't think that's true. Otherwise, i'd have a mustache and be an alcoholic right now.

I was at my top choice school the other day visiting a prof, and when I got on the elevator, I saw a flyer stating that someone with my exact same name (which isn't a common one) would be leading grand rounds that week. Turned out this person is the director of internal medicine. Kinda eerie. I'm hoping that they think he's really cool at that school so when they see my name on the application file, they'll want to admit me. ;)

I knew a gal named Jenny Glasscock.

My dad was on faculty at the school that I'm going to end of going to. My last name is really uncommon, so I'm sure that it didn't hurt me at all. It is nice when Nobel prize winners, though, know your dad.

I met a Dr. Muerto. If he got in, I don't think there is surely not name discrimination.

My husband went to med school with a woman who's last name was Slaughter ... and she became a surgeon. Although, I believe she got married very shortly after med school and did indeed change her name. Can't blame her.

Have you guys ever noticed that psychiatrists always have really ****ed up last names? Like odd names, scary names, etc.? Maybe its just a psychosis of mine but I think there's a correlation. And yeah they are always a little weird to go along with the weird name.

they dont give a damn about ur name...all they care about is numbers (such as ur GPA and MCAT)

Originally posted by LP1CW
I knew a gal named Jenny Glasscock.

i knew a girl with her last name glasscock too, only her first name wasn't jenny.