Is there forum for APPE reviews. Is there such a site where students can look at reviews from other students on nation-wide APPE sites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaTender

Reaction score
Hello all,
Is there such a site where students can look at reviews from other students on nation-wide APPE sites? I know it may seem like a longshot, but I was just wondering how can I get the most information about a site before I attend.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just ask last year's students. P4s are too busy looking for jobs to rate their rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
What is this, Yelp?

What exactly is the accountability for the worst preceptors? Congraulations, we don't have to precept ****ty students from a ****ty pharmacy school? Oh the emotional pain/embarrassment.

What is this, Yelp?

What exactly is the accountability for the worst preceptors? Congraulations, we don't have to precept ****ty students from a ****ty pharmacy school? Oh the emotional pain/embarrassment.

I agree to some extent if the preceptor cannot choose to precept students or not due to management, but I'm thinking more of the situation where they are in a position to choose and use that power irresponsibly. My worst preceptors were all ones who chose it for the power trip.

Well nothing will happen to them barring sexual harassment/quid pro quo or actual physical violence. *shrug*

ratemyprofessor had many reviews on my APPE but when I looked recently they took off the bad preceptors that I had so something is up. lol

Oh good. Not only do people get to have a student bogging them down and wanting lots of encouragement and hand holding for no extra compensation, now they get to have students give them reviews. Preceptors are not teachers by training, lots of them are trying. If someone sucks, you need to talk to the experiential coordinator.

If I were still precepting and this happened I'd have even more reason to quit. I've put in my time molding young minds.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh good. Not only do people get to have a student bogging them down and wanting lots of encouragement and hand holding for no extra compensation, now they get to have students give them reviews. Preceptors are not teachers by training, lots of them are trying. If someone sucks, you need to talk to the experiential coordinator.

If I were still precepting and this happened I'd have even more reason to quit. I've put in my time molding young minds.
Seriously. We aren't college professors getting paid for this.

Reactions: 1 user
Having been a PharmD student once upon a time, I get it. Having a review site would have been really useful.

Having been a preceptor, I see a side I never considered as a student. As an industry rotation site, we put in a lot to give students as good an experience as we can. However, here are some things to consider that I never knew as a student:

1. First, getting a rotation approved isn't always easy. In fact, in a pharmaceutical company it often takes a would-be preceptor several presentations to get approval. You have to convince the directors within your department and gain their support. Then you usually have to do the same with your department head. If you've gone that far successfully, now it's time to convince someone way higher up (like a site head, president level individual, or chief medical officer) and sometimes Human Resources as well. At this point, they're often skeptical that precepting PharmD rotation students will be worth it....despite not having to pay them. They want to know how much time it's going to take away from full time employees to precept students. They want to know what kind of value students can potentially add - and they want quantitative information. Over and over, the message is that the companies aren't about to run a pharmacy school for the sake of it - they're expecting professionals to walk in and add some kind of value. If you successfully convince them of such, then you got your approval and can start the work of creating a curriculum.

2. That's just the beginning. Maintaining a quality rotation program is easier said than done. It's easy to do the first few, when people are excited with a new program and willing to support. After a couple back to back students, it's harder to keep the momentum and motivation going from everyone. It helps when you have stellar students, but it's not realistic to expect every student to be a high performer that is highly motivated and mature. When you get the ones that are looking to just cruise, you wonder if this is when word will get around and there'll be pressure to just drop the program altogether.

3. There are always people that are looking to shut down the rotation program at the slightest sign it's taking away value (employee time) more than adding value - and it's not easy to find ways to quantify how a student who is only there for 1-1.5 months is going to add tangible value. If there was a review site and I saw that our program was getting negative reviews, the likely response would be to inform the school that we don't have adquate resources to maintain a quality program and will be discontinuing. I believe this wouldn't benefit students at all. As it is, the schools are always telling us that there aren't enough pharma/biotech rotation sites to meet the increased demand of students trying to select them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users