Is there hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rrt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am kind of in a pickle. I recently fell in love with the idea of becomming a DPM. Not sure if I should even attempt to go down this path, so I'll see what you guys think.
Be harsh, Be truthful.

So my first 3 years of school were horrible. This was back in 2003-2005. I did BAD.
The one good thing is that I didn't take science classes at all, so my science GPA was sparred.

I worked on a spreadsheet, and found that my Non science GPA including my return to college after being in the military is still bad. This is not cum GPA, but just non science courses.

My science GPA is ok. With all pre-reqs, and upper level Kine courses, we are talking a 3.77. (still have 2 years of Kine to go)

The problem is I retook a bunch of courses and didn't do well on the retakes multiple times. The last time I did them though, I did get an A or B.

So here is what I am looking at.
Non Science GPA With retakes and Fs all factored in: 2.3
Cum GPA: 2.96
Science GPA: 3.77

I've taken the MCAT because I was aiming for DO school with their grade replacement, but something is pulling me to DPM. I will be done in 2 years (taking it slow due to new baby and change of pace at work) and will need to retake the MCAT. I got a 32 on it this year.

I am worried that some schools will factor in that non science gpa. I have exactly 8 F's (2 are some 1 hr focus course I had to take but didn't go to my first year)

All the rest were retaken for better grades, sometimes 2-3 times.

I know I have changed a ton after the Army, and I think my Sci GPA shows that.

Do I have a better show at going DO with grade replacement, or would a DPM program take me?

Thanks,
Ivan

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, so I did some more research, and I noticed I was looking at a breakdown of what is and isn't a science gpa course from a few years back. Things have changed.

So my Non science GPA changed because 2 of my F's were in Algebra and Precal.
Taking those grades out of non science and adding 2 courses I need to take for electives brings my Non Science GPA to 2.51

My science GPA takes a hit of course because of the Fs in the math courses. It went down to 3.47

My cum GPA is now an even 3 with the 2 new courses I forgot to add in.

Still wondering if that Non Science GPA is gonna kill me?

You got a 32 on the MCAT and you're retaking it?

Pod school cares about your total cumulative GPA and science GPA, your non science GPA isn't a deal breaker.

32 MCAT + 3.5 sGPA, you'll get invites and scholarships...

Members don't see this ad :)
I will have to retake it, as I won't be done for 2 years, and the test will be older than 3 years old...... Sadness.

Thanks for that info. I am really scared about making this leap into a new field. I am already a respiratory therapist, and taking all this time going to school for a goal I am not
even sure I can get accepted into is quite scary.

My first 3 years looked something like this

Comp 1 B
Comp 2 D
Comp 2 retake F!!!
Comp 2 retake again D
Comp 2 retake A
Sociology C
Sociology retake A
Psychology D
Psychology retake A
History1 D
History1 retake B
Music F
Music retake A
Focus (1 hr orientation) F
Microcomputers D
Microcomputers retake A
Algebra F
Algebra retake B
Precal F
Precal Retake A
History 2 C
History 2 retake F
History 2 retake A

As you can see, TONS of retakes. It all turned around after 2005 when I joined the Army.
Learned how to study, learned I loved medicine (I am a respiratory therapist now).

Starting 1.5 years ago, my transcript has changed.

Bio 1 A-
Bio 2 A
Chem 1 A
Chem 2 A-
Physics 1 A
Physics 2 A-
Orgo 1 A
Orgo 2 B
Precal A
A few Kine classes (all As)
A&P1 A
A&P2 A
Micro B

I have 8 more major Kine classes to go for a BS in Exercise Science. I am following a pre-PT route set by the school since it also works for premed programs.

Last edited:
How far along are you in your science courses? Exactly how many have you taken? If it's 4-5 and you have a 3.77 it says a lot less than if you've got 3 years equivalent worth of science courses. You don't need to retake the MCAT again for pod [nvm due to comments posted]. My 30 was well below my official practice tests, but its more than enough for pod school. The only issue is the fact that you have been "taking it easy" with your courses. I can vouch that working a full time job + taking classes til 8 every day of the week is easier than taking a full on semester of all science classes. If you can do that and get all A's, you probably will get scholarship offers from all the pod schools (I was in a similar bind, not quite as bad, but hey, we all screw up some time).

See my edit. All the science courses have been since 1.5 years ago. Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring. I don't think I took it easy!!! Took tons of Flex courses (8 week courses) so I could finish classes like Bio , Chem and Physics in 1 semester.

OP, seeing how you've drastically improved, I'd say you have a fantastic chance of getting scholarships at a lot of the schools. Like future NBA star AB says, you've indeed proven yourself.

I didn't look too closely at the nuances of your story, but if most of your Fs were ten years ago, you'll be fine. I also echo the sentiment that especially at your age, sitting around getting a bachelors is literally a waste of time. It's likely your undergraduate school can "strike up a deal" with the pod school to award you a degree after X number of credits have been taken. I looked somewhat extensively at this option and most pod schools will help you with this, it's really up to your undergrad school if they are okay with it as. There's a fancy word for what I'm explaining, but alas, I have forgotten it.

Good luck OP!