Is there some sort of intellectual asymptote for this test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pigglyjuff

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In terms of studying time and score output? Seriously, how do people consistently receive scores of say 34-39. I don't understand how that is possible. Then I see people who can't ever score about a 25 or score above a 30, etc.
 
The MCAT is not an intelligence test (and there are criticisms of the inherent validity of "intelligence tests"). Perhaps there is somewhat of an asymptote with regards to the VR section, but in the sciences, the MCAT is about the memorization and practiced application of a finite number of patterns, equations, and relationships. I'm inclined to say that people who can't break a 10 in BS or PS either aren't devoting enough concentrated time to studying, or the don't have good study skills.

I take the MCAT tomorrow and if my past half dozen practice tests are any indication, I'll get around a 13 in each section. I don't think this is because of any superior innate intelligence, but rather because I devoted the past two months to studying and I've become very comfortable with the equations and types of questions on the MCAT.

Anecdotal evidence as an edit: I'm going into my last year of college, and I remember how as a freshman, Intro Biology felt like the hardest class I could imagine. I studied my butt off and did OK in the end. Now I take tougher schedules, with more labs, more upper level science classes, and I do better than I did as a freshman. I recognize this is because I learned how to study, and I'm positive these study skills have helped me on the MCAT.

My sentiments are echoed well by PingPongPro below me, but I think Sahren's logic might have some worth (and s/he at the very least says it very well).
 
Last edited:
Good luck tomorrow Nigy! I would like to add another perspective. I know 9 people in real life who've scored 35+ and I would consider each one of them very smart. I'm good friends with about half of them and can attest that they don't study any more or any harder than the average premed. They just grasp concepts very quickly and are good at thinking on their feet.
 
Good luck tomorrow Nigy! I would like to add another perspective. I know 9 people in real life who've scored 35+ and I would consider each one of them very smart. I'm good friends with about half of them and can attest that they don't study any more or any harder than the average premed. They just grasp concepts very quickly and are good at thinking on their feet.
I completely agree with you...I think that most average students if they study the right way can get 28-32 in the mcat as long as they can get at least an 8 in VR. To get 35+ on that test, you must be naturally smart IMO.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you're scoring well, there's a fine balance between saying "nah I'm just naturally smarter" and saying "nah I just obviously work harder". One makes it sound like you were successful but don't necessarily deserve it, the other attributes your successes to your own hard work and puts down the hard work of others by not accounting for natural ability.

Well said.
 
I don't think the MCAT is heavily dependent on intelligence. There are a dozen other factors such as planning, time management, ability to overcome stress, etc. that are way more important. It is a little complicating though because intelligent people are more likely to be better at these other factors. So I guess intelligence and MCAT score do correlate, but the relationship is not as direct as you might think.

The thing about the MCAT is that 99% of the test material is very basic. As long as you prepare adequately, you will do well on the test regardless of your "intelligence".
 
2nu3uv9.jpg


Jeez I'm bored =c