Is there still a demand for orthodontist in rural areas?

llamaoverlord

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the market is saturated in urban areas and a lot of middle sized cities but in my town no dentist does orthodontics and they refer all cases to our orthodontist (the only one in town). Is it still possible for ortho to be like it used to be in the old days (like 15 years ago) :D?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone everywhere needs health and beauty care, so I think the demand for orthodontics in rural quite high. If you do not mind do the rural things, it is a good idea to work in rural areas.
If you are not coping up with the bad demand as a traditional dentist you can always start looking into esthetical dentistry.
//Percy, http://www.vitatanden.se/

Last edited:
Everyone everywhere needs health and beauty care, so I think the demand for orthodontics in rural quite high. If you do not mind do the rural things, it is a good idea to work in rural areas.

Not necessarily at least I don't think. In a lot of cities down south that have like 40k+ population there are about 3 orthodontist. Are there enough patients for these orthodontist to see and all do well? For every orthodontist how many people should there be in a city? This question is open to anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now, we can say there is a demand but in the next 10 or 15 years, I don't think so.

Also keep in mind the details. I said a rural area like very rural I know the market is saturated in larger cities

Dang can you use that crystal ball you have and tell me which stocks to buy and sell in the next 10-15 years too? Much appreciated

Well if this guy is a dentist or resident I'd imagine he'd know a lot about the market and the outlook.

Nope, just a lowly dental student. Orthodontics is still a gold mine in the right area, that is my experience. There is a reason why it's one of the most competitive specialties right now.

Nope, just a lowly dental student. Orthodontics is still a gold mine in the right area, that is my experience. There is a reason why it's one of the most competitive specialties right now.

See thats the thing "in the right area" I hate big cities and love the rural countryside where a lot of people know each other. This would be the type of place I practice. That was the question is ortho still a good specialty to do if you're going to be practicing in a rural area as described of above.

See thats the thing "in the right area" I hate big cities and love the rural countryside where a lot of people know each other. This would be the type of place I practice. That was the question is ortho still a good specialty to do if you're going to be practicing in a rural area as described of above.
Generally anything in dentistry is compensated very well in rural areas (GP to oral surg to ortho). The kicker is how rural are we talking, obviously you can't be so far from people that you don't have enough patients. I'd go shadow an ortho that practices in an area you're talking about and see what they say. That's really the best way to get your answer.

Generally anything in dentistry is compensated very well in rural areas (GP to oral surg to ortho). The kicker is how rural are we talking, obviously you can't be so far from people that you don't have enough patients. I'd go shadow an ortho that practices in an area you're talking about and see what they say. That's really the best way to get your answer.

Yeah but with the way things are going I'm still skeptical. Gps are taking more and more ortho cases with better technology and orthodontist are loosing business. And eventually the rural areas might become saturated. I think there should be a set of laws: gp can only practice general dentistry, orthodontist can only practice ortho, omfs can only practice infant, and so on. This would create more stability in the industry. At least I think it would. Makes since to me.

Yeah but with the way things are going I'm still skeptical. Gps are taking more and more ortho cases with better technology and orthodontist are loosing business. And eventually the rural areas might become saturated. I think there should be a set of laws: gp can only practice general dentistry, orthodontist can only practice ortho, omfs can only practice infant, and so on. This would create more stability in the industry. At least I think it would. Makes since to me.
Well it seems like you have everything figured out. Seeing your views about the future of the profession as well as your poor grasp on spelling simple words, it seems the dental profession isn't for you. Best of luck!

Well it seems like you have everything figured out. Seeing your views about the future of the profession as well as your poor grasp on spelling simple words, it seems the dental profession isn't for you. Best of luck!

I'm sorry it's autocorrect on some of it and Lol I'm just typing straight from my head not thinking about grammar and spellings and I'm not trying to be a smart I'm just trying to collaborate with you with the information I have read about. I'm actually very smart btw I'm in the top 1.5% of my class.