Is there the problem in health care really this ......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BklynRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That there are too many old people and too many are living with chronic ailments who consume medicare/social security way past than what they have ever paid into their whole working lives. After 7 years the average American has collected all the social security money they have ever paid in from their payroll taxes. That's why I find it so funny when I hear my grandma scream about welfare when her and her friends are the biggest recipients. Do we start denying care to be a balanced nation? Yes, we have great medicine/procedures but why are you entitled to live till 76?

Members don't see this ad.

Morally, I think people are generally opposed to the idea of indirectly condemning someone to death after an arbitrary point.

From a more objective perspective, yes, some kind of "rationing" will inevitably need to be instituted in order to control costs on the system. The real question is what that rationing will look like. It doesn't necessarily have to present as minimizing or eliminating care past a certain age.

Rationing care is not very difficult. Step into any ICU across the country and you will see a few people who are receiving a ton of expensive interventions for no gain and probable harm

Reactions: 1 user
Rationing care is not very difficult. Step into any ICU across the country and you will see a few people who are receiving a ton of expensive interventions for no gain and probable harm

This is one the biggest issues IMO.