Is there updated chart showing what schools require TERMINAL SURGERIES in core and/or electives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several years ago a survey was published that showed a detailed chart of vet schools and terminal surgeries. Each school was listed and boxes were marked for which courses required terminal surgeries such as core small animal, core large animal, elective small animal, elective large animal. It also listed if alternatives were offered or if terminal surgery was required. Is there an updated version of something like that anywhere?

Please, let's not get into a debate of ethics and morals (I believe that is on another thread). I just want the up-to-date facts. What schools require terminal surgeries and what schools do not. That is all. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ohio State does NOT have any terminal surgeries in the core curriculum. I'm not 100% sure about elective courses.

If there is, I'd be interested in it, too. The chart I think you are talking about was published by AVAR (Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights) years ago, but that organization doesn't exist any more - merged to form the current HSVMA. I actually emailed them about the chart a couple years back ('10) and never got a reply, so I think it's gone somewhat for good. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Illinois allows students the option to not perform terminal surgeries, as long as you can demonstrate the surgical skills anyways. Not quite sure what the alternative would be in which you would demonstrate them, though.

David does not do small animal terminal surgeries in any course.

There are no required terminal surgeries at SGU. Pretty sure none offered at all. @jmo1012 ?
NO terminal surgeries at SGU.

someone i knew who went to a school with terminal surgeries awhile ago had the ability to opt out and then those couple of students went and worked at the local shelter doing spays and neuters there instead.

Tufts' website has a very detailed explanation of their animal use policy. I think Western's website does too. I'm pretty sure that both schools do not require terminal/invasive procedures on healthy animals, but Tufts lists exceptions, such as terminal surgeries on animals who are going to be euthanized for other reasons.

WesternU not only does not require but does not allow terminal surgeries for core or elective large or small animal. We are also not allowed to use any cadavers obtained in such a way for club wet labs or extracurricular activities.

Reactions: 2 users
There is a terminal surgery on a pig as a part of the core curriculum at my school.

Just added as a contrast since at least 95% of the people on this forum can't/don't apply to my school anyway.

Last edited:
This is something I am interested in knowing before applying too, so I ended up emailing some schools. Washington State University emailed back saying no terminal surgeries on small animals or cores, but they do have one elective with goats (large animal surgery). Ohio said they do not have terminal surgeries. And I believe Virginia does not have either, right? (if anyone knows for sure, I'd love to know). A chart on this would be super helpful. I am trying to email everywhere and do research about this, and the info was not that easy to find on some schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
No terminal surgeries at Oklahoma State.

Can't speak for some of the large/food animal rotations (since I am not on that track and don't have to take them), but our junior surgeries are on humane society animals that will be adopted out.

MSU has no terminal surgeries (we use cadavers from animal control). I think there is one large animal course (elective) that does them but it is on an animal that is already going to be euthanized anyway.

we'd need a Ross person to confirm this, but I am 99% sure Ross does terminal surgeries. if i remember correctly, they have a semester where they care for a doneky throughout the term while doing minor procedures and then at the very end, they do something more invasive and euthanize at the end. i could be completely off base saying this though

Not required here, but optional on pigs.

So far, from what I have been told Midwestern does not do terminal surgeries.

Penn does not have any terminal surgeries in core classes or small animal electives. Not sure about large animal electives.

we'd need a Ross person to confirm this, but I am 99% sure Ross does terminal surgeries. if i remember correctly, they have a semester where they care for a doneky throughout the term while doing minor procedures and then at the very end, they do something more invasive and euthanize at the end. i could be completely off base saying this though

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dv...Article/detail/616666?contextCategoryId=44924

Ross stopped doing terminal surgeries in 2009

VMRCVM does not do terminal surgeries in either small or food animal classes. I have been told that during 4th year rotations, some horses that have been donated to the school and are going to euthanized for legitimate medical reasons (unrelated to the procedure proposed) do undergo what end up being terminal procedures. As far as I know, those are the only procedures where death is an intended outcome for any of our patients. I am tracking mixed animal, so I am/will be involved in both small animal and food animal surgery courses.

Reactions: 1 user