Is this a bad idea when applying to residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qqw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to 2 residency fields at the same program?

For example...Say you really want to end up in Town X, and a program there has both IM and FM residencies, and you would be happy with either.
Would it be a red flag if you applied to both?

Not sure if it would show you really have genuine interest in that region, or show you are indecisive and don't have true passion in either field.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying to 2 residency fields at the same program?

For example...Say you really want to end up in Town X, and a program there has both IM and FM residencies, and you would be happy with either.
Would it be a red flag if you applied to both?

Not sure if it would show you really have genuine interest in that region, or show you are indecisive and don't have true passion in either field.

Thanks.

It might be wise to avoid applying to two programs at the same institution, but sure, I do know people who apply to and rank more than one specialty.

There is a real risk of running into people who might recognize you from a previous visit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
on a related note, is it feasible to apply to 2 separate specialties (maybe not at the same institution) in one cycle? As in, gun for a competitive specialty and have a less competitive one as back up? What would be the potential drawbacks to this method?

OP, I personally wouldn't do that, because it could be perceived as not being serious about the field. If I were you, I would choose your preferred specialty at each individual hospital.

on a related note, is it feasible to apply to 2 separate specialties (maybe not at the same institution) in one cycle? As in, gun for a competitive specialty and have a less competitive one as back up? What would be the potential drawbacks to this method?

Yeah of course you can do that, in fact its recommended for anyone going for a competitive specialty that also likes another field. Really its just more work for you, writing 2 essays, etc. Just make sure your letter writers don't say "X will make a great internist" when you're also applying for Derm or something.

As far as i am informed, PDs are not privy to other programs or specialties you have applied to so they won't know if you have ranked FM and Ortho and GS or whatever.

As far as i am informed, PDs are not privy to other programs or specialties you have applied to so they won't know if you have ranked FM and Ortho and GS or whatever.

You're right in that there's no formal report of where else you are applying, but academic medicine is a small world. It's fine to apply in more than one specialty, but I wouldn't count on nobody finding out about it. Especially in smaller hospital systems, or even cities.

Reactions: 3 users
Many PDs/attendings/residents either know or are married to people outside their departments. People talk, and most of them have an excellent memory. PDs don't like to rank candidates who would rather be somewhere else.

Reactions: 3 users
Basically I gather that if you're going to apply to multiple specialties, be smart about it, be ready to explain your reasoning if it comes up in an interview (without throwing either program under the bus). Even then, you'll have to accept that while some PDs might not be bothered by it, some probably will.

But I'm sure PDs talk, especially within the same institution.

That's the impression I'm under as well.

Maybe, if you're truly, legitimately interested in being a PCP in that area, you could make a case for applying both FM & IM at the same location. I'm guessing that's still risky, though.