Is this a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omashu

FLYING BLUE MMMMM's
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply for 2009. The only required course that I haven't taken is Physics II.

This is what I'm thinking about .... Apply in June - Submit everything that I can possibly submit. While over the summer take the Kaplan/Princeton review classroom course and in the end of August take the MCAT. But again, I haven't taken Physics II.....

I can't take Physics II & the review at the same time because I still need to work my 40 hr job.

Should I do the above plan, apply in june, review thru summer, and then take MCAT and in the Fall take Physics II or should I just hold off applying until I take the Physics II first? If I don't apply june 08 - I will most likely hold off until the following year (but I don't really want to do that).

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my $0.02:

1) Definitely apply in June, but TAKE THE MCAT EARLIER! I'd say June would be the latest for a first time. The problem is, if you don't have a score, your app will just get held until you get a score, which won't be until sometime in Sept. if you take the MCAT in August. You'll be competing in a much bigger applicant pool by then.

2) I wouldn't recommend a classroom MCAT review class. I did classroom Kaplan, and the class part was not all that helpful. I would recommend getting the online Kaplan class -- particularly if you're self-disciplined -- because that was the stuff I found most helpful from the Kaplan materials. Also, this way you could could get started on the studying NOW and wouldn't have to wait for the class to start. (That said, if you need a class to keep you on schedule and motivated, this is probably not the best idea.)

3) You can take the MCAT without having Phys. II - it will be tougher for you, but if you get started studying early and study the material well, you can learn what you need to know for the test. The topics are all listed on the MCAt website.

4) Whatever you do, don't make my mistake of trying to "cram" for the MCAT . . . it doesn't work! I highly recommend studying for it each and every day (starting NOW!). Even if you only have time one day to go over some flashcards . . . do something every day. It will pay off.

:luck::luck:!

I didn't take a prep course, but they can be helpful, especially if you have a hard time motivating yourself.
Ideally you should take all prereqs first, but if you really have all the other material down you could probably sneak by without Phys II.
If you can get in the first Aug test date, you will be okay if you have EVERY other part of your app submitted and verified before then. They won't look at your app until they have a MCAT score, but if you are complete by around Sept 15 that's not too late. Not ideal, but not the worst.

I'd probably rather see you take the extra year, and take the MCAT and apply after you are done with all the pre-reqs. Take the extra time to really prepare well for the MCAT. It's better to do everything right the first time, than try to rush through it and possibly screw some things up. Med school is not going anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT is heavy on topics covered in Physics II. I would not take it without it.Can you take Physics II during the Summer I semester? In that case if you start studying now for the MCAT you'd be in good shape to take it in the first half of July.

Thanks for the advice everybody...

The MCAT is heavy on topics covered in Physics II. I would not take it without it.Can you take Physics II during the Summer I semester? In that case if you start studying now for the MCAT you'd be in good shape to take it in the first half of July.
Agree.

OP, it's really not a good idea to take the MCAT without taking all the pre-reqs. It's ok to be still taking physics II while you study for the MCAT, but it is not realistic to expect that Kaplan or TPR can teach you a semester's worth of physics. These courses are meant as reviews for people who have already seen the material before, not as first looks at the material.

I've said this a zillion times, but I'll say it again: these courses are called *pre*-requisites for a very good reason. There is a logical, specific order that you should follow (i.e., take the courses, then study for the MCAT). Sure, you will see posts from this or that person who didn't do things in the right order and still managed to do well, but they are the exception that proves the rule. The MCAT is a curved test. Most of the people you are taking it against have taken all four pre-reqs plus a prep course on top of that. What's your rush? Nothing you do will make you a 21-year-old applicant, so if you need another year to get your ducks in a row, so what? It's infinitely better to spend an extra year (if necessary) and do your app right the first time than to spend an extra year to do your MCAT (and app) over again, now having to dig yourself out of the hole of a low first MCAT score.

:luck: to you. :)