is this a big deal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basiligaw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted eras on sept 2 and back then i had planned on taking usmle step 2 (i'm a d.o student) but now I decided not to take it and just take comlex 2 but on my eras form it says that 'i will take usmle step 2' and i also released my score.
does that matter cz i'm not taking it; should i email the programs i applied to and tell them i'm not taking usmle step 2 or just mention it at interview
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Just tell the program, if they bring it up (you don't have to...a lot of us don't take step 2 before match day and nobody makes a fuss out of it), that you rescheduled it and will take it later when you have time.

Taking Step 2 for all of you becomes more of an issue when you apply for your medical license in whichever state you will be doing your residency in. To start residency, you must get the license. If your state says that you can substitute COMLEX2 for Step 2, then you may never have to take it. (disclaimer: I don't know diddly squat about D.O. testing issues)

Yeah, I don't know anything about DO issues either, or whether the COMLEX can substitute for the USMLE in pathology programs. I would make sure that they don't require it.

Nobody requires that you take USMLE step 2 for licensing purposes. COMLEX fulfills all legal requirements in all 50 states.

So it comes down to the individual program, how competitive it is? And if they will regard you as an equal applicant as a DO. How many hoops you want to jump through to be the best applicant.

My advice is if you took USMLE Step 1 and did reasonably well on it, there's no need to jump through the hoop and paying the extra money to take USMLE Step 2. Step 1 score is the bigger factor, like was said earlier, many applicants MD and DO don't even have their step 2 scores released before match day. However if you didn't take it, or didn't score well + you want to go to a competitive path program, that's the only scenario I could see going through the trouble for.

Extra piece of advice, in case you didn't know. As a DO, you are considered an "independent applicant" in the match process. Therefore you legally do not have to even go through the ERAS match system, and you can sign a contract with any MD program, at any time. As a DO you are only legally obligated to the DO match system if you choose to apply, though as you already know there are no DO path programs. MD program people familiar with DO's know about this loophole in the system, and quality applicants can take advantage of this. So if you sure of where you want to go, you can actually mention it to the program director during interviews and see if they bite. Great little benefit of being a DO that many don't know about and if I were an MD I would be pissed off about. Though in the next few years I'm sure that loophole will be closed.