Is this a common preference or am I just too picky?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SingleGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched for this topic (beyond the ones that just pop up when you write a new thread) and I found nothing specific to this concern.

So, I have been in the field for a while and I have realized that I do NOT like continuous clients. I don't like hearing their weekly stories. I do not like being on call for the same people.

I did my internship on an inpatient unit which I suppose is the equivalent of treating and streeting. I think I like that... I think I want that... Maybe just testing/evaluation/diagnosing is my thing...

I never once said I wanted to be a psychotherapist. I told all of my professors, "I don't want to do therapy" and they looked at me like I was a foreign creature.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

I know exactly what you mean actually. After my first year in our university's psychological services clinic (although I did enjoy it), I realized I would burn out quickly as a "psychotherapist."

People have all sorts of preferences (some won't work in the forensic settings, others only want long-term, some only want assessment, etc). I know for me that I never want to do therapy anything close to full-time, as I think I'd burn out. My preference is to have a small caseload that I can work with long-term, in addition to my other work. Short-term work is interesting in that you get to see all sorts of presentations, but I prefer the long-term work because I feel like I have an opportunity to help provide meaningful change....and not just a bandaid (this is obviously my own bias....but my preferred population is chronic, so it fits).

If you know what you want, you can mold your path based on those parameters. I know if I worked at a facility and only did therapy I'd go nuts, so I'm not going to look at those types of positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I think that's my problem, I just didn't know how to articulate what I wanted...

Now, to find a program that will best train me for never therapizing a soul... :) ha

Additionally, how do I quit my job? I can't take it anymore. I'm miserable.

I definitely feel you on that one. As I'm finishing my masters degree in counseling right now (and on to start a Ph.D in the fall) I know that being a full time therapist is NOT something I could manage. I generally prefer testing, and doing intake assessments...I'm thankful though, for learning this now. I had always thought that was my dream...once I was thrown into it I learned very quickly it wasn't for me...At least not 40 hours a week of it! Back to beloved research...

I could hear myself talking when I read your post. I have realized that I would find it draining to do therapy, counsel people and see the same people over a long period of time with the same issue. I enjoy developing relationships but not one where I have to listen to problems.. I'm not even a good listener when it comes to drama!

Like you, I am more into assessment, evaluation and consultation. That's why I decided on pursuing School Psychology...

I have said the same thing to one of my professors (undergrad) that I did not want to do therapy and they looked at me the same way so trust me, you're fine to not want to do counseling, they're just being biased..

I'm right there with you.

I think I'm a neuropsych at heart. I love assessment and neurobiology, hate the social psych stuff and I'll be quite happy when I can add "licensed" to my list of credentials and never have anything to do it again unless I choose to. Unfortunately my complete lack of interest in the typical "neuropsych" domain disorders sort of eliminates that as an option;)

Definitely going the academic route...I think even doing alot of testing would drive me crazy after awhile. Its nice to break up the routine a bit, but things like that tend to get very repetitive very fast for me, and I get bored. Even assessments if I could just have a tech do it and look at the actual reports, so much the better;)

I find it odd your professors have reacted that way about becoming therapists. Are you at practice-oriented schools? Around here you probably get stranger looks if you DO love therapy and want to make it the main component of your career.

Thank you guys, I'm so glad I'm not alone. I think I only applied to the MSW b/c it was the easiest choice I could make. Stupid reason, eh?

I mean, I'm really good at the clinical stuff but it affects me too personally. I just don't have that much energy to offer other people. I'm tired of it. I can use those skills to help me build rapport and get top notch results in my assessments/evals/testing and not have any regret for the last several years of my life...

I just need to know that I'm moving in the direction of doing something less torturous to my soul. Thanks for listening.