Is this a dumb thing to do? (I'm 25)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letitgo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Mine is a long and complicated story, so I'll just get to the heart of it. I've already been accepted to medical school for Fall 2008, but I'm thinking of deferring a year to do a one-year master's program in Humanities. I would be doing this in a city I'd like to be in for various reasons, and had hoped to be in indefinitely, but the schools there aren't giving me any love. After a year, I'd just go to whatever med school I decide on.

Is this a silly idea for someone already three years out of college? I know many people here are much older than me, but I'm still worried about delaying things even more. My reasons for doing so are very complex (you can PM me if you need to know in order to advise me), and I don't really want to get into it. I would like to do a masters program, since I love writing (was an English major), but it wouldn't contribute to my career in any way.

Thanks for reading! I really would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Members don't see this ad.

Your age is the least of your problems. The real question is, will the med school you ultimately choose permit you to defer for a year to get your MA? If they nix your deferral and tell you to show up in August or else, what will you do? I'd start contacting the schools where you're accepted and discussing their deferral policies if I were you. This isn't the kind of nasty surprise you want to get after you've made all your plans for the year off.

Hi everyone,

Mine is a long and complicated story, so I'll just get to the heart of it. I've already been accepted to medical school for Fall 2008, but I'm thinking of deferring a year to do a one-year master's program in Humanities. I would be doing this in a city I'd like to be in for various reasons, and had hoped to be in indefinitely, but the schools there aren't giving me any love. After a year, I'd just go to whatever med school I decide on.

Ummmm-you set off a bunch of alarms there. The way I read your note-you got in one school, accepted, and then wanted to ask for a deferral to look for a different school. That is a huge no-no...no med school would humor a student who clogs systems by accepting and then schemes for a better deal.

Let me try to count some big stumbling blocks.

1) You stated "1 year MA" program. The prevailing wisdom is that you should finish any program you start. Getting a MA in one year is sometimes not a promise (a little more investment is expected) and if you don't finish in one year, 2 things happen-your med school is not happy, and you have nothing to "show" for your year away. Catch 22 at that point-you may be expected to choose (and possibly quit) once again.

2) The MA will no longer help with the med school process (after the acceptance, it is at best another type of EC) and may look funny in the long run (what was the ulterior motive.?)

3) As Quimica stated-deferrals are not a guarantee, and all counters still start (repaying loans, FAFSA apps, etc.) during the year off.

It looks funny.. .Which can never be good. Best to consider your options carefully

Members don't see this ad :)

Just making sure you're clear on this: You need to choose a school now, accept admissions to that school and then, if you want, request a 1 year deferal for the Humanities major. They're probably going to give you the deferal, but in a year you need plan on going to the medical school you accepted the deferal from. Do not apply anywhere else or accept multiple admissions to try to hold multiple deferals. Is that what you meant?

As for the overall idea of defereing a year for a humanities degree, you don't need us for that. Honestly it's not a big deal either way: a little extra expense and time weighed against an experience you would like to have.

And on the off chance that the medical school says no to your deferal then going ahead with the MA is a bad idea. Bird in the hand, you know?

1) You stated "1 year MA" program. The prevailing wisdom is that you should finish any program you start. Getting a MA in one year is sometimes not a promise (a little more investment is expected) and if you don't finish in one year, 2 things happen-your med school is not happy, and you have nothing to "show" for your year away. Catch 22 at that point-you may be expected to choose (and possibly quit) once again.

It might be a non-thesis based Master's. In which case, the OP could complete it in one year without a problem.

As Perrotfish said, pick a school that you've already been accepted to and ask if they will give you a deferral. If not, then I'd say stick with med school and start in the fall.

I personally don't think it's a bad thing to pursue other interests. I'm glad that I didn't go directly from undergrad to med school. I definitely took a convoluted route to end up where I am (Master's, Peace Corps, corporate work experience). I will be 27 when I start in the fall, and I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks for your replies - it's definitely helpful for me to get some other perspectives.

I've already applied to the Master's program and will hear back in March, before I have to decide on a medical school. Of the schools I've been accepted to, I've already looked into their deferral policies and they do allow people to defer for one year. This master's program is just one year long - it's why I applied. It's basically a year for me to do what I've always wanted to do, which is write (I'd do a creative writing focus).

If I decide on a school that doesn't allow deferrals, then I won't go. But most of them seem very open to the idea (JHU, UCSF, Michigan all allow, and even encourage, it). There's no way I'd go through this application process again, believe me! I'm already broke.

I think my main concern is that I've already waited this long, and maybe I should just go to med school as soon as possible. I'll be 30 when I get out of school - I feel like if I don't have a husband/fiance by then, I'll start to panic.
Not that I even want that, but is it possible for older students (especially women) to find significant others in medical school? It seems like med students are all 22!

If you don't think age is a factor, then I'll probably go ahead and do the master's program. I'd really like to do it, just for a year. On my interviews, I just got the feeling I was always the oldest one.

Thanks for your replies - it's definitely helpful for me to get some other perspectives.

I've already applied to the Master's program and will hear back in March, before I have to decide on a medical school. Of the schools I've been accepted to, I've already looked into their deferral policies and they do allow people to defer for one year. This master's program is just one year long - it's why I applied. It's basically a year for me to do what I've always wanted to do, which is write (I'd do a creative writing focus).

If I decide on a school that doesn't allow deferrals, then I won't go. But most of them seem very open to the idea (JHU, UCSF, Michigan all allow, and even encourage, it). There's no way I'd go through this application process again, believe me! I'm already broke.

I think my main concern is that I've already waited this long, and maybe I should just go to med school as soon as possible. I'll be 30 when I get out of school - I feel like if I don't have a husband/fiance by then, I'll start to panic.
Not that I even want that, but is it possible for older students (especially women) to find significant others in medical school? It seems like med students are all 22!

If you don't think age is a factor, then I'll probably go ahead and do the master's program. I'd really like to do it, just for a year. On my interviews, I just got the feeling I was always the oldest one.

Hi Letitgo,

This is something that you are really going to need to sit down and decide for yourself. I personally think that it would behoove many applicants to take a few years and live life before making the commitment to medical school.

As for the husband, it'll happen if it is supposed to. Who knows what will happen as you go along this route (doctor route)? Each of those medical schools will bring you into different experiences...you may very well meet your mate then...or maybe not until after you finish medical school.

If you really want to do this MA, I would look at each of the schools you have been accepted into (brava, by the way) and make a commitment to one of them and then request a deferral. If a school you wanted to go to did not show love, there is no guarantee they will show it next year. Do you want to be a doctor or not? You'll need to make that decision for yourself.

Kris

You stated once about being in your dream city with school(s) that showed you no love. If you were accepted to all these top tier schools, dotting the country geographically-how did you not get into a school in the city you want?! By "not any love"-if you haven't been rejected (still early in this cycle) and you are that strong, it might be worth some of your "creative writing" time to contact the admins of the city you want to be and (tactfully) lobby to get in.

I have seen lots of "marriage propects for a non-trad" threads in the non-trad forum. It is wild speculation, and depends mostly on you. Obviously, if you want to be in SoHo meeting bohemian authors, then the pre-med auteur may be a turn off. However, finding a soul mate in med school is prolly a lock (even for older students) given the shared stresses.

Please-Dr. Midlife back me up. My perspective is that nobody younger than 30 should even comment on the biological clock ticking. I am sure that you would not even get a second blink for your age at med school. Don't sweat it.

I know, I guess it's silly for me to feel old, but for some reason I do. Maybe I feel like in med school, I won't really fit in with the just-out-of-college crowd, but I won't really jive with the older, married students crowd either. I'll be in this weird limbo state. Doesn't anyone else worry about this? Maybe it's dumb.

I'm actually really excited about this Master's program and I think it's something I'd enjoy for a year before med school. I'd be sure to consider the deferral process carefully, since there is no way I would want to reapply.

Beast11, I was instantly rejected post-secondary by one of the schools (my top choice), and it looks like I was passed over in the first round of acceptances for the other (but I guess there's still a chance...). I have written several letters to this school, but I'm not sure how much good it will do. Plus there is the issue, according to some people (a lot of people, actually), that I'd be crazy to go to a school ranked 21 over a school ranked 2 or 3. I personally don't care too much, but I work in a huge academic institution, and this is what I hear on a daily basis. I can't seem to get a straight answer about how much ranking impacts residency matches.

Of course I can't complain about my good fortune this application cycle. I just wish one of these schools had given me a chance. Maybe it's because I put in a hundred times more effort on those essays than I did for any other schools. I guess I tried too hard. :confused:

I know, I guess it's silly for me to feel old, but for some reason I do. Maybe I feel like in med school, I won't really fit in with the just-out-of-college crowd, but I won't really jive with the older, married students crowd either. I'll be in this weird limbo state. Doesn't anyone else worry about this? Maybe it's dumb.

I'm actually really excited about this Master's program and I think it's something I'd enjoy for a year before med school. I'd be sure to consider the deferral process carefully, since there is no way I would want to reapply.

Sounds like your decision is made then. Anyway I don't know if you'll feel too old in medical school (I wouldn't think so, but if I understood women I wouldn't be spending my time on the internet), however I am sure you you won't feel older in a year than you feel right now. Enjoy your Masters.

thousands upon thousands of med sch applicants are turn down each year, this include those with good stat. and I just don't understand that people like you are accepted and still not ready to attend. If you know that you were not ready for medical sch, you shouldn't have applied in the first place. Who cares where what med sch you attended; at least I don't. I think what is important is where you do your residency.

you want to take for a year? then consider going to third World countries for a humanitarian mission......maybe go to south africa, help those with AIDs. it would look very good on your CV or at least you would impress med sch admission committee..

Go for it. It's all right to be passionate about things outside medicine. Once you start med school, it will consume most of your hours. As depressing as it may sound, your year of deferral may be your only opportunity to deeply explore your other interests for the next decade or longer.

Hon, I'm going to say the same thing to you that I tell all of my trad classmates when they bemoan how they'll turn 30 around graduation: 30 is *not* old. First, you at the tender age of 25 barely even qualify as a nontrad; the average age of incoming med school freshmen is around 24-25 at many schools. You won't be anywhere close to being the oldest student in your class even at the ripe old age of 26. Second, finishing school at 30 is not going to make you over the hill, put you in a nursing home, or automatically ruin all of your prospects of ever having a husband and family. People get married in medical school, have children, live their lives. I'm not saying it's easy for them, but if their families (husbands, parents, siblings) help them and/or they can afford to pay for childcare, they manage. Right now you are presumably not close to getting married and thus not in a position to be worrying about kids. So you know what? Worry about the career issues that are in front of you right now; they're hard enough to manage without all the what-ifs of the future. You can jump off all those other bridges when you get there. If you want to meet people in medical school, you will make it happen. You can join clubs, get involved in interest groups, attend events, etc. There's also no law saying that you must only socialize with the other students in your class. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Is this a silly idea for someone already three years out of college? I know many people here are much older than me, but I'm still worried about delaying things even more. My reasons for doing so are very complex (you can PM me if you need to know in order to advise me), and I don't really want to get into it. I would like to do a masters program, since I love writing (was an English major), but it wouldn't contribute to my career in any way.

After a brief skim of your MDApps page, is it that you really want to be in Chicago? Are you planning on reapplying to those schools again?

You've already been accepted to some powerhouse med schools - congrats! Best of luck to you, no matter what you decide!

Go for it. It's all right to be passionate about things outside medicine. Once you start med school, it will consume most of your hours. As depressing as it may sound, your year of deferral may be your only opportunity to deeply explore your other interests for the next decade or longer.
This is so true. There's times I don't even remember what it was that I was passionate about before med school. So, pursue it while you can!

Q, thanks, I needed that. I just turned 25 last week and I think I had a bit of a breakdown. I'm the type of person that requires a solid reality check (aka a good kick in the butt) once in a while. I'm a pretty friendly person and I usually meet people easily, so I think I'll be okay.

Blade, yes, I'd hoped to be in Chicago, but I won't be reapplying to those schools next year. I'm thrilled with my acceptances and I'm sure I'll enjoy wherever I end up. It is true that I'd like to end up in Chicago eventually, so I can keep this in mind for residency.

Q, thanks, I needed that. I just turned 25 last week and I think I had a bit of a breakdown. I'm the type of person that requires a solid reality check (aka a good kick in the butt) once in a while. I'm a pretty friendly person and I usually meet people easily, so I think I'll be okay.

Blade, yes, I'd hoped to be in Chicago, but I won't be reapplying to those schools next year. I'm thrilled with my acceptances and I'm sure I'll enjoy wherever I end up. It is true that I'd like to end up in Chicago eventually, so I can keep this in mind for residency.

Ah, gotcha.

25 is DEFINITELY not "old" - you still have so much ahead of you, so don't worry! You're set for a solid med school, just make sure to do well, stay well-rounded, and you're going to be fine for residency.

Best of luck!

This master's program is just one year long - it's why I applied. It's basically a year for me to do what I've always wanted to do, which is write (I'd do a creative writing focus).

OK...maybe I am nit-picking, but your statement here concerns me. If creative writing is truly your consuming passion - to quote Judy Colwell, "the thing that makes your eyes dance" - then why are you even bothering to go to medical school. Please do not misinterpret this as my advising you not to go to med school, but let me tell you straight - medical education & training are far to intense & demanding to do it, without loosing your mind & personal integrity, without medicine being your driving passion. It is my personal theory, having been an allied health profession since 1983 & now a physician, that the primary source for unhappy, malcontent, miserable physicians - the ones who tell all of the pre-meds to steer of medicine - are the ones who entered the process for reasons other than "medicine is my driving passion".

If creative writing is your passion in life, the thing that makes your eyes dance, then go for it! There is no shame in choosing a profession that is not medicine.

On the other hand, if medicine is your driving passion & creative writing is an intense interest that is subordinate to medicine, I would say start med school this fall & do the MA/creative writing thing after med school & residency...or you could probably do it via one of the internet-based degree programs. I strongly suspect that successful entry into the profession of writing is not predicated upon possessing an MA; therefore, you could self-teach continuously along the way. I love to read about certain topics (Egyptology, ancient history, hard science fiction) & absolutely refused to surrender this addiction during med school. So, I set aside about 30min/day, every day, to read these sorts of works throughout med school, residency & fellowship. you could do the same thing with your writing.

I know it's tough sometimes, but do your best not to worry too much about not adhering to a strict life plan or timetable. It's like trying to hold on to a handful of water: the tighter you close your fist around it, the more it drips out between your fingers. We can't control all of the things that happen in our lives; we can only grab the opportunities that we see as they become available to us. I started medical school ten years later than my fresh out of college classmates, but I got here in the end. If I had stayed with my ex for the rest of my life like I thought I would at age 25, I'd never have gotten here at all. ;)

Hi everyone,

With respect, you're a big, cheese-eating, totally ridiculous *****. If you want to be a doctor (and are not just looking for a way to not go to medical school which is perfectly understandable) take your acceptance and get on with it.

Man, if I could do it all over I would have gone straight from college to medical school instead of wasting all of that time on a different career which is now totally useless to me.

"Humanities." "Writing." What a laugh. I'm a writer. I even get paid to write now. The best way to write is to write and why you need any more education than you already have is unclear. What you need is something to write about and obtaining s worthless masters degree is not going to help you in this respect.

Jeez.

Hmm, well. OldManDave, you make a valid point. I love that quote you used, too. But how can we ever figure out what drives us, until we do it? Or how can we know, definitively, what makes our eyes dance? The people close to me think I'm gifted in the sciences, whereas I think I was born to be a writer. Maybe I've just spent my whole life confused. I want to do something that maximizes my own potential while helping others - if I'm an intelligent, motivated, friendly person, why isn't medicine the right avenue for that? I'm good at it, so why not? I love research, and I enjoy talking to crazy people (working with schizophrenics, believe it or not, convinced me that medicine is right for me), so I believe I'll find my niche in medicine, no matter how narrow or esoteric. I think I would be good at it, and I think I could make a difference.

Panda Bear, I appreciate your opinion, but I'm not a *****. I don't know how you came to be so jaded about medicine - maybe you should just give it up, and do something else. Jeez. I'm not even in med school, but just reading your posts (and I've read many of them) has made me think twice about it. But you're just one person, and everyone is different. And I've realized that everyone has different strengths, as well as weaknesses. As for me, for example, I don't handle criticism well. I'm indecisive. I'm too emotional when it comes to some things, too stoic when it comes to others. I pass out at the sight of blood. But whatever, I am what I am. On a different, random note, I'd love to meet you. I think you'd quickly see I'm actually pretty chill (and not cheese-eating).

Q, I can see very clearly why you're a moderator on these boards. I feel like you understand my situation, even well beyond what I explained in my initial post. It's kind of strange, but cool. :)

This is not a clear-cut choice for me. As I said earlier, the situation is much more complicated than I laid out in my original post. But I do love writing, and I haven't yet decided if it's worth it to put off med school for a year, or to do it later on. I envy those of you who decided on medicine at age 12 (although I find it hard to believe that those people predominate in the non-trad forum), but that just isn't me. I'm still figuring stuff out!

I just want to say again that I appreciate the posts from all of you. No one usually responds to me, and I guess I've been frustrated in the past. This has been tremendously helpful to me (which includes both negative and positive comments). I came here for sound advice, and I certainly got that. :)

String of semi-related quotes to bring up a point...

But how can we ever figure out what drives us, until we do it? Or how can we know, definitively, what makes our eyes dance?

I enjoy talking to crazy people (working with schizophrenics, believe it or not, convinced me that medicine is right for me),... On a different, random note, I'd love to meet you. I think you'd quickly see I'm actually pretty chill (and not cheese-eating).

(Don't think we didn't notice the talk to Panda Bear-love to talk to crazy people syllogism there...)

Jeez. I'm not even in med school, but just reading your posts (and I've read many of them)

As for me, for example, I don't handle criticism well. I'm indecisive. I'm too emotional when it comes to some things, too stoic when it comes to others. I pass out at the sight of blood. But whatever, I am what I am.

As I said earlier, the situation is much more complicated than I laid out in my original post. But I do love writing,

Well-I guess that you might want to explain the complicated story. SDN gives you the blog-take advantage of it and start writing in earnest.

Advantages are...

1.) You give PandaBear a run for the blog money (He said he was getting paid-presumably from his experiences)

2.) You can explain the complicated back story!

3.) You get the writing practice. Come on-Michael Crichton started out M.D. and dabbled on the side, and we see how well it worked out for him.

4.) It's cathartic-which is needed at all stages of med school.

5.) If you do it for no other reason-then it drives you and "makes the eyes dance."

Sound reasonable?

You have indicated that you like writing, scientific research and medicine. To an academic physician, that is an ideal combination for someone interested in academic medicine! I spend more of my time writing than anything else and there's certainly an aspect of "creative writing" in getting a grant.:p

Seriously though, as a medical journal editor and someone who edits and writes a huge amount of material, the ability to state ideas well, develop themes, and express them in simple terms is hard to find. Translating complex ideas into "lay" terms is needed for many grants, articles, and other science writing.

Now, you may prefer "creative" or "fictional" writing to this type of writing, but many of the skills are the same. The surest way to lose any chance at getting a grant funded is to send it in with bad grammar. We are more forgiving on scientific papers or we wouldn't have any to publish!

My recommendation to you is that if you are accepted to start medical school then go ahead and start next year. Save the MA in writing for a later point in your career when you have the medical experiences to focus your writing. Meanwhile, you'll be surprised to find that there are folks in medical schools who will be interested in writing and you might even find some part-time editing work if you are interested in that.

Regardless, good luck in your decision!

Beast, I like that idea. I'm always up for some competition (getting paid wouldn't be a bad thing, either). Although I have to say, my life is probably pretty dull compared to PandaBear's, since I'm not even in med school and have nothing too earth-shattering to say. But my complicated back story is a bit crazy/unusual/entertaining, so...I'll consider that. Someone might enjoy it.

And, strangely, Michael Crighton came up pretty often in my interviews. I seemed to get the "what would you do if you couldn't do medicine" question all the time, and I always gave the same answer. Then I'd get stuck with the whole, "Oh, well, why don't you just forget medicine and be a writer then?," and I'd throw his name out there. It was a decent recovery.

Tildy, yes, you're absolutely right. It's invaluable to have good writing skills as a doctor and a researcher, and I've been told this by many people in the medical profession. It would just be nice to have a creative outlet, too. It's just hard for me to predict how much time I'll have to do that in med school - but I could probably make it work.

I guess I have a few months to think about this. No doubt I'll decide at the last possible second, as always.

Beast, I like that idea. I'm always up for some competition (getting paid wouldn't be a bad thing, either). Although I have to say, my life is probably pretty dull compared to PandaBear's, since I'm not even in med school and have nothing too earth-shattering to say. But my complicated back story is a bit crazy/unusual/entertaining, so...I'll consider that. Someone might enjoy it.

And, strangely, Michael Crighton came up pretty often in my interviews. I seemed to get the "what would you do if you couldn't do medicine" question all the time, and I always gave the same answer. Then I'd get stuck with the whole, "Oh, well, why don't you just forget medicine and be a writer then?," and I'd throw his name out there. It was a decent recovery.

Tildy, yes, you're absolutely right. It's invaluable to have good writing skills as a doctor and a researcher, and I've been told this by many people in the medical profession. It would just be nice to have a creative outlet, too. It's just hard for me to predict how much time I'll have to do that in med school - but I could probably make it work.

I guess I have a few months to think about this. No doubt I'll decide at the last possible second, as always.

I'm no Robert Graves, but I do have something to write about. My blog (which is just now starting to generate significant ad revenue) is not a chronicle of my emotional state or a diary of my feelings, its stuff that people want to read for its own sake. If you have nothing to write about then there is no point being a writer except that everybody likes to hear themselves talk (or write). However, if nobody read my blog I would give it up in about an hour.

Go to medical school or not but you need to observe something upon which you can either comment or that can form the background for creative writing.

Writing does not have to be earth-shattering, by the way.

Hmm, well. OldManDave, you make a valid point. I love that quote you used, too. But how can we ever figure out what drives us, until we do it? Or how can we know, definitively, what makes our eyes dance? The people close to me think I'm gifted in the sciences, whereas I think I was born to be a writer. Maybe I've just spent my whole life confused. I want to do something that maximizes my own potential while helping others - if I'm an intelligent, motivated, friendly person, why isn't medicine the right avenue for that? I'm good at it, so why not? I love research, and I enjoy talking to crazy people (working with schizophrenics, believe it or not, convinced me that medicine is right for me), so I believe I'll find my niche in medicine, no matter how narrow or esoteric. I think I would be good at it, and I think I could make a difference.

Panda Bear, I appreciate your opinion, but I'm not a *****. I don't know how you came to be so jaded about medicine - maybe you should just give it up, and do something else. Jeez. I'm not even in med school, but just reading your posts (and I've read many of them) has made me think twice about it. But you're just one person, and everyone is different. And I've realized that everyone has different strengths, as well as weaknesses. As for me, for example, I don't handle criticism well. I'm indecisive. I'm too emotional when it comes to some things, too stoic when it comes to others. I pass out at the sight of blood. But whatever, I am what I am. On a different, random note, I'd love to meet you. I think you'd quickly see I'm actually pretty chill (and not cheese-eating).

Q, I can see very clearly why you're a moderator on these boards. I feel like you understand my situation, even well beyond what I explained in my initial post. It's kind of strange, but cool. :)

This is not a clear-cut choice for me. As I said earlier, the situation is much more complicated than I laid out in my original post. But I do love writing, and I haven't yet decided if it's worth it to put off med school for a year, or to do it later on. I envy those of you who decided on medicine at age 12 (although I find it hard to believe that those people predominate in the non-trad forum), but that just isn't me. I'm still figuring stuff out!

I just want to say again that I appreciate the posts from all of you. No one usually responds to me, and I guess I've been frustrated in the past. This has been tremendously helpful to me (which includes both negative and positive comments). I came here for sound advice, and I certainly got that. :)

I only meant you were a ***** in the limited sense that you have an admission to medical school in hand and are considering throwing it away for what will likely be a highly unsuccessful writing career. To a certain extent, formal education is important to a writer (although some of the greats like Conrad and Dickens had limited formal education) but at this stage, your best training as a writer would be to a) have something to write about b) write and c) read good authors (Like Huxley, Orwell, Graves, Conrad, Dickens, et al) while eschewing the usual crap that passes for writing (The Da Vinci code for example, horrifically written and completely unreadable by anyone who respects good writing).

This is such an unusual thread. I was getting bored with the pharmacy forums, so I started clicking elsewhere.

Letitgo,
Take your medical school acceptance and run with it. Writing is probably just your hobby. I enjoy writing too, but I NEEDED a profession to devote myself to. I was pre-med until I decided that I wanted to go to pharmacy school. Thankfully, things just so happen to work out for me. I got a job in a pharmacy in 2004, applied to ONE pharmacy school in 2006, and started pharmacy school in the fall of 2006.

I don't want to stop at a PharmD, because I don't have to. I plan on having an MHA too.

H As for me, for example, I don't handle criticism well.

This is not a good attribute to have for a writer. Or a med student/intern/resident.

To the OP, go for it - as an applicant with very diverse passions (including writing, actually), I understand that you want to pursue those passions and not get bogged down later - I know some people said that you could do writing later down the line, but with residency, etc., you'll be at an age that you won't really have room to branch out, so this is the time to do it - I made a decision to do an unrelated masters before applying to med school, much against others' advice, but I feel much more fulfilled for having done it

congrats on the acceptances, btw! And as a longtime Midwesterner, I love Chicago too, so I understand why you'd want to be there long-term :)

To the OP, go for it - as an applicant with very diverse passions (including writing, actually), I understand that you want to pursue those passions and not get bogged down later - I know some people said that you could do writing later down the line, but with residency, etc., you'll be at an age that you won't really have room to branch out, so this is the time to do it - I made a decision to do an unrelated masters before applying to med school, much against others' advice, but I feel much more fulfilled for having done it

congrats on the acceptances, btw! And as a longtime Midwesterner, I love Chicago too, so I understand why you'd want to be there long-term :)
This is not really "the time to do it". She only has one year between deferral and the start of medical school. Sunset823, you got an "unrelated" masters before you applied, which makes it a non-issue. The problem lies in the fact that she will have to finish a masters in one year, which is possible but the likeliness is unknown, and then go to medical school.

Quite honestly Letitgo, you do not have to have a masters degree to be a successful writer. Being in medical school will bring enough meaning to you. Your time will be limited during school, but have you thought of what you would do during semester and summer breaks? Maybe medical school will provide you with something to write about ;).

I'm a very pragmatic person, and I'm not indecisive. If I had made up my mind to go do an MA program and defer med school a year, I'd do my d***est to make that happen. ;) So here's the deal:

You have acceptances to five or six schools. Contact each of them ASAP and find out if deferring a year for a writing MA is an option. Even for schools that will consider it, being granted a deferral is not guaranteed regardless of reason; most schools consider requests on a case by case basis. My guess is that some schools will be willing and others won't in your case. If that happens, and you are determined to do this MA, it may help you choose a school sooner rather than later.

It is also possible that you may not get accepted to the MA program; you won't know yet for a few more months about that. If that is the case, then all of this discussion is moot. But I'd still start talking to the schools and figuring out now what your potential options might be so that you can make some contingency plans.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. Q, you have a good point here - I've e-mailed the schools where I've been accepted and asked about their deferral policies. It's true that some schools aren't as open as others to deferral, based on what I'm doing for the year. I'll definitely have to take that into consideration.

I disappeared from my thread for a while because (get this) my boyfriend dumped me when he read on SDN I'd been accepted at UCSF. So, I was a bit bitter towards SDN for a few days. But regardless of how things turn out with him, I've pretty much decided to go for the masters degree next year. I think at this point in my life, that's what I want to do.

I disappeared from my thread for a while because (get this) my boyfriend dumped me when he read on SDN I'd been accepted at UCSF. So, I was a bit bitter towards SDN for a few days. But regardless of how things turn out with him, I've pretty much decided to go for the masters degree next year. I think at this point in my life, that's what I want to do.

Respond with Irony: date an SDN guy.

Was this SDN boyfriend the reason you wanted to stay in Chicago? This is a pretty good indication that you should always choose whichever school resonates the best with you (shall we say makes your mind dance?) even if this wasn't the #2 school in the country.

Don't decide too hastily about anything based on emotion right now. That is not a good characteristic to have in a doctor.

I'm sorry your holidays have been rocky, but good luck with what I am sure will be a great career.