Is this a good idea or is it silly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I've learned the following things, and please tell me if/where I'm mistaken:

1) The benefit of fluoride is that its presence in the mouth enables some of the fluorides to replace calciums in tooth enamel, and thus the enamel is helped to rebuild itself. This process even has the potential to "heal" some small carious lesions.

2) Fluoride absorption and incorporation into the tooth enamel is facilitated by an acidic environment.

3) An acidic environment is what eats away at tooth enamel to begin with; it's the acid excreted by the oral bacteria which produce (or constitute?) caries in the first place.

4) Oral bacteria thrive in acidic environments and are less able to flourish in neutral or basic environments. The mouth, when left to its own devices and absent huge washes of saliva, tends toward acidity. This is part of the problem for our teeth.

5) Brushing and flossing really well will pretty much get rid of bacteria in the mouth.

6) Brushing and flossing really well will ALSO neutralize any acidic environment in the mouth. Good news on the bacteria front, but not-so-great news on the fluoride front.

7) If you use a fluoride rinse after brushing and flossing really well, the fluoride doesn't really have the optimal environment to work in because your mouth is no longer acidic.

So here's the thing:

What if you:
i) brush and floss really well
ii) rinse with water thoroughly
iii) drink a diet coke
iv) then use fluoride rinse

Would this increase the absorption rate of fluoride to the teeth? If so, could this be a significantly beneficial practice for people to employ? Or am I being silly?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Aha! Misconception #1. Any more?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are other caries-inhibiting mechanisms of fluoride that don't require an acidic environment(inhibition of acid-producing enzymes, and suppression of bacterial attachment to enamel). Also, it'd be a stretch to say that assiduous brushing and flossing will totally eliminate bacteria in the mouth, and while brushing may increase the pH in the mouth, its effects are transient. So all in all, while your idea is interesting, I don't think it'd significantly increase the effectiveness of fluoride rinses. Theoretically, your idea might increase the absorption rate of fluoride into the teeth, but in terms of the net effect, I doubt it'd make any tangible difference.

Why are you drinking diet coke? Isn't the C02 in colas dissolved as carbonic acid? How would that make your mouth more alkaline?

The better question. Is government flouridation of drinking water an acceptable practice?

Are there any proven side-effects to flouride besides dental flourosis
dental10.jpg

at a concentration of .7ppm (hotter areas - drink more) to 1.2ppm?\

http://www.fluoridedebate.com/question15.html

mdhan said:
There are other caries-inhibiting mechanisms of fluoride that don't require an acidic environment(inhibition of acid-producing enzymes, and suppression of bacterial attachment to enamel). Also, it'd be a stretch to say that assiduous brushing and flossing will totally eliminate bacteria in the mouth, and while brushing may increase the pH in the mouth, its effects are transient. So all in all, while your idea is interesting, I don't think it'd significantly increase the effectiveness of fluoride rinses. Theoretically, your idea might increase the absorption rate of fluoride into the teeth, but in terms of the net effect, I doubt it'd make any tangible difference.
It's a lot more than just "a stretch" to say hygiene will sterilize the oral cavity; I'm thinking along the lines of "beyond the remotest shadow of a possibility."

DrTacoElf said:
The better question. Is government flouridation of drinking water an acceptable practice?

Are there any proven side-effects to flouride besides dental flourosis
dental10.jpg

at a concentration of .7ppm (hotter areas - drink more) to 1.2ppm?\

http://www.fluoridedebate.com/question15.html
There's a huge body of research supporting water fluoridation as an effective, inexpensive method for inhibiting tooth decay. In light of that, a substantial burden of proof falls on the shoulders of fluoride's opponents, and until they rise to the challenge of meeting the requirements of good science, I'll continue to dismiss them as gnats in the face of dentistry--occasionally irritating, but completely inconsequential.

The majority of fluoride that gets to the teeth is the result of ingestion and secretion in the sulcular fluids. Topical application in an acidic environment is not a novel concept. Its why the application time of AFP is 97%+ uptake in only one minute as apposed the the longer time needed for neutral flouride.

Don't you think the public has a right to know what medicine or chemicals they are ingesting. Also don't you think they have the right to not take them?

According to the Nuremberg code they do. Thats whats so interesting about flouridation. Whether or not it is in fact beneficial -- each individual should still have the right to choose. The results of tooth decay do not harm others except through increased speding on medicaid programs, etc. But even then it should be a choice IMO.

DrTacoElf said:
Don't you think the public has a right to know what medicine or chemicals they are ingesting. Also don't you think they have the right to not take them?

According to the Nuremberg code they do. Thats whats so interesting about flouridation. Whether or not it is in fact beneficial -- each individual should still have the right to choose. The results of tooth decay do not harm others except through increased speding on medicaid programs, etc. But even then it should be a choice IMO.

Dude, you're clueless. There are a multitude of fruit juices and bottled water that have up to 12 ppm Fluoride did you know that? Why don't you try going to dental school and become educated in the subject before you make these types of statements. Do you have any idea how much fluoridation has impacted the caries rate. Water fluoridation has been cited as one of the great public health accomplishments.

north2southOMFS said:
Dude, you're clueless. There are a multitude of fruit juices and bottled water that have up to 12 ppm Fluoride did you know that? Why don't you try going to dental school and become educated in the subject before you make these types of statements. Do you have any idea how much fluoridation has impacted the caries rate. Water fluoridation has been cited as one of the great public health accomplishments.

Dude thats why i'm here to learn. I would much rather make a statment here and be called out for it than in an interview! Thats what this site is about learning -- I literally learn something new everyday, thats why i'm here. I did not know that about the juices.

DrTacoElf said:
Dude thats why i'm here to learn. I would much rather make a statment here and be called out for it than in an interview! Thats what this site is about learning -- I literally learn something new everyday, thats why i'm here. I did not know that about the juices.

Sorry I was so hard on you. I get fired up about those anti fluoridation fanatics. You know they claim contributes to tardiness in school!

Status
Not open for further replies.