Is this a good idea??? Please help Applicant for 2005 make decision???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MunnaBhai MBBS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am long time reader and first time poster and need yours input in making my decision. I am sorry in advance for long post.
I am currently junior in engineering but not liking half of my classes and not doing too well on my classes. I had 3.8 in my fisrt two years with 69 credits. This fall I had 2.6 GPA and this semester i will have the same no matter what I do. Everyday I work my ass off but can't really pull a good grade. Now if this continues my over all grade at the end of my senior fall may go below 3.0 and might have hard time getting admission. Now here is what I was thinking.
If I go ahead and change my major to Chemistry I will have to take 39 credits my senior year to graduate but i will like the classes becasue I love chemistry and can do really well on it. On the other hand after this semester I will only need 24 credits to graduate but I will be hating every single of those classes and will get bad grades. Now if I change my major while applying dental school next year how will they respond to this change. Do they care I stay in engineering or they don't. How hard of a time will I have getting an admission if I change my majors given that I have taken all my pre-requisites and have 3.9 on that and in my math and physics (engineering) I have all A and A+ as a grade but my junior year I have many C's and couple of B's and may not get any A's. This is a sliding GPA case where below 3.0 will really hurt rather that upward trend below 3.0.
So do you guys think should I change my major do well on those classes and get good grades and be happy that way or stay in engineering and not do well and hate (circuits and mechanics) those classes and apply to engineering with downword trend GPA becasue In the world right now I am in I can max pull 2.8-3.0 from now to graduation. Also has anybody here changed their major in Junior year and got in to dental school??? What you guys really think about changing my major and effet of it on my admission to dental school?? Please post your thoughts, experiences and suggestions to help me make my decision. Thanks all in advance!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Whats with all of these engineers going into dental school?? I thought you could get a job easily once you get an engineering degree?

Hi Ecks,
You could get a job and was the reason I went to Engineering in case I decide not to go to dental school and start working but Now I don't think compnies would hire me with 2.6 GPA in engineering classes and is freaking hard as hell but I still like engineering but I can't do well on classes. I know is stupid but please help me make decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
what engineering are you in? is it EE or ME? any kind of engineering is hard as h*ll. if you decide to go to dental school, i think it's a good idea to switch to something that u do well (e.g. chemistry) to bring ur GPA up. i dont think the adcom really cares when you change your major.

I got a job as an engineer fairly easily when I graduated a few years back. Being an engineer has it's ups and downs like any job. I think there is a category of engineers that just HAS to work with their hands and that's how they figure things out! A lot of times, working in a company (especially a big one) doesn't lend so much to doing this. What does??? Dentistry!! I think there is a bigger connection than most people think. I know I didn't realize it until I did some homework.

As for the changing majors question.... I think you'd be ok to switch. It's not like your going from Engineering to communications (or something that would show you couldn't hack a work load so you lightned up). I mean, they may ask why you switch, but if you have that 2.8 or lower, you may not get an interview for them to even have a chance to ask the question at all. It's much more important, I think, to get above a 3.0. Especially since Chem is an admirable curriculum. Must ask you one thing.....where you sneaking in the Dental prereqs? I'm sure they aren't part of your engineering curriculum.(except basic chem and physics)

Hi Zimmad
I was a pre-dent/engineering major to start with so Took all those math, chemistry, biology and physics during my first one and half years. Also I am Bio Medical Engineering with concentration in Bio-Mechanics (Which is just pure Mechanical Engineering with very little biology aspect). I was hoping to work on a industry with Bones and tissues but I still need to get this degree to get that kind of job and will be hard to get one if I don't get my GPA above 3.2 in Engineering Classes. As far as Switching to Chemistry I can use all my Math, Engineering physics, All chemistry . Also my pre-requisites for Bio-Medical Engineering Such as Biochemistry, Thermodynamics, and biology in to curriculu so I will officially ahve 81 credits toward Chemistry If I change my Major today but Will ahve to take 39 more to Get all the requirements for the Chemistry.

Also my another question is If I change my major and let say I will still have one class left over due to scheduleing problem by the end of senior year and won't have my BS done so do Dental School care that I must have BS or not???

Hey MunnaBhai,

I am surprise that with your interest in chemistry you didn't enroll in Chemical Engineering.:confused: Or it is my mistake that this program could only be found 'North of the Border'?

Hey Muskeeter,
I know what you saying but Engineering is still Engineering and Chemical Engineeering becomes more like industrial designs, production, reaction engineering and more technical as you go and is nowhere near the chemistry we take for our pre-requisites in dental school. Trust me on this. I took Thermodynamics I and got B+ on that the highest grade last semester and I worked almost 18 hours a week for 4 credit class and it requires Engineering work as hell. All engineering and Applied Physics are problem based learning and requires technical work a lot and almost all of them just use more math and other designing and intrumentation stuff rather than what their name sound like. And that is the reason why mechanical Engineer still goes to mechanic for his car repairs and diagnostics because they know theory and not practical. And I hate theory in Engineering. I like practical but i only need to take just two engineering labs to graduate which sucks. I would love engineering if it was hands on but is not. But Muskeeter I still agree with your suggestion of going into chemical engineering if I like Chemistry.

Hi,

I too am an engineer (electrical). Given your situation I think either of your options are good ones. Staying with engineering has its benefits and that is what I did, despite hating some aspects of the major/career. I would try to petition to allow classes that are closely related to engineering but not necessarily in your major to count towards requirements (if some interest you). Or just look for the easy classes. I don't care what anyone says, there are easy classes in engineering, you just have to find them. At Cornell they publish the median grade reports so you know what the median grade is. Alternatively, ask some buddies what they think is easiest/most fun.

Your second option of taking 39 credits in your senior year is probably harder. Taking that many required courses in chemistry will be difficult. Typically people have one or two electives fluffing up their schedules so in that case 39 credits wouldn't be that bad over two semesters.

So in conclusion I would say stick with engineering. Most good engineering programs have something for everyone if you look for it. Plus you could use that extra room in your schedule to pad in an easy elective. See if you can substitute a chemistry class or student research or independent study for some of your required engineering credits.

Cheers,
Marshall

Marshall, I will try to to see if I can find those ones. Thanks for your advise on that.
Also Come on people more than 250 vies but only 8 replies. Please post your experience, opinion, advise here to help me make my decision. Thanks all

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I'm in my 3rd of 5 years studying Mechanical Engineering and I'm pretty sure I want to apply to Dental School in 2006.

My dislike of my classes has been steadily growing this year and even worse I know I don't like the work environment. (I've worked with Pratt & Whitney, GE, and Caterpillar) My GPA has also steadily been declining and every semester is worse than the last. Here's a few of the reasons I want to stay as an ME:

1. Our major will be unique when applying and Dental schools like diversity.
2. You should apply the summer before you intend to enter, so the grades you make senior year won't matter.
3. If I switched to a science major I'd have to take a lot of upper level classes that don't directly relate to dentistry and I think I would dislike those just as much as the engineering classes.
4. If the worst should happen and you/I don't get in to a dental school I think the job prospects are much better with an engineering degree.

So I'm planning on finishing up the pre-dental requirements next year, really focusing on and aceing the DAT, and applying on the first day, June 1st.

I'm curious where you go to school? What turned you onto dentistry? I don't know many people that are contemplating dental school (especially after an engineering background) and would love to know more about why your making this career change.

Thanks,
Bryan

Originally posted by bryan45876
Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I'm in my 3rd of 5 years studying Mechanical Engineering and I'm pretty sure I want to apply to Dental School in 2006.

My dislike of my classes has been steadily growing this year and even worse I know I don't like the work environment. (I've worked with Pratt & Whitney, GE, and Caterpillar) My GPA has also steadily been declining and every semester is worse than the last. Here's a few of the reasons I want to stay as an ME:

1. Our major will be unique when applying and Dental schools like diversity.
2. You should apply the summer before you intend to enter, so the grades you make senior year won't matter.
3. If I switched to a science major I'd have to take a lot of upper level classes that don't directly relate to dentistry and I think I would dislike those just as much as the engineering classes.
4. If the worst should happen and you/I don't get in to a dental school I think the job prospects are much better with an engineering degree.

So I'm planning on finishing up the pre-dental requirements next year, really focusing on and aceing the DAT, and applying on the first day, June 1st.

I'm curious where you go to school? What turned you onto dentistry? I don't know many people that are contemplating dental school (especially after an engineering background) and would love to know more about why your making this career change.

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan, are you involved with the Pre-Dent club up at Purdue? I helped organize this year's Dental Day, and got the chance to meet several folks from the group. Are you applying to IUSD?

Hi Bill,

I stumbled upon this site last week and have spent around 5-10 hours reading and reading different threads. One thing I've noticed is that there are some people that are really involved, and I noticed you're one of them.

I have not yet been to any pre dental club meetings here. I found out there was a pre dental club about a month or so ago and haven't had a chance to go. I am not an Indiana resident so I don't know what my chances are at IUSD, but I here graduating from Purdue is a plus. (I'm actually not sure about where I'm going to claim residency, but that's another issue)

I plan on coming down to IUSD sometime in mid May to tour the school.

-Bryan

Hey Bryan,
I wanted to dentistry when I was in High School. I went to high school in India and in India people directly go to dental schools after high school and get BDS and start working as a dentist and I was influenced by one of them and he became my role model. This dentist was living near by my house in India and his son and I are very good friends. I was born and raised in poverty and he was from upper class family but his dad helped me lot with my decisions in High School about choosing classes and anything I needed help with (My parents never went to school so I really didn't have much help on deciding on my studying. But They were the best helpers in my high school years to keep me on to doing well in school becasue they knew education is important). Also he did a lot of work on my tooth when I was a kid and most for free becasue My family couldn't afford it and I was really touched by what he did for me as a dentist and decided to be one when I was in 9th Grade. After Highschool in 2000 my family moved to US and I found out that I have to do a college before going to dental school in US so started college and engineering seemed interesting and did really well in Math and physics. Also was attracted by a job prospect of engineering.
The reason I am changing my career plan is that I think that If this trend continues I might have few D's in my senior year and If my GPA falls below some GPA school is looking for in senior year I might be in trouble. If I change my major to chemistry now(I like it and I think I can do well in physical chemistry) and Keep my GPA atleast around 3.3-3.5 and ace the DAT I will have a good chance in 2006 cycle if I don't get into 2005 cycle. But on the other hand If I don't get in the 2005 cycle I will be really really screwd for the admission and will have to pull a miracle.
I am going to make my decision by March 15 because it is the day registration starts for summer and I can take 8 credits in summer. I talked to advisor at chemistry dept. and for me to graduate now I will only need 33 credits in senior year and few of them are really easy class(some chemistry students told me). On the other hand I still need kick ass 24 engineering credits and If I get a C- or below I will ahve to repeat the class and seems chances are very higher. By the way I go to U of Michigan

Hi,

From the way your message reads, it seems like you really want to switch and are just a little hesitant to change and need a push. So I say go for it! It seems like you've done your homework and that switching looks like the better option for you.

Good luck!

-Bryan

Hi MunnaBhai MBBS,
I think I might answer your question. As usual, in my opinion, high GPA is the key to get admission. However, you will almost graduate in two semesters. I don't think it is wise to change your major and put yourself in hard time.
I was a Computer Scinece in under and graduate, and I wored for software companies for four years. We have similar backgrounds (You might want to ask ShawnOne, too). I think you might stick on your engineering major since there are always some easy courses, like software engineering, multimedia XXX, and user interface design XXX. I believe these courses or math courses could raise your GPA if you want to save time.
Also, I don't think it is a good idea that you make any BIG change after you submit your application. The admission committee emphasizes:
1. You complete your degree.
2. You fulfill all the pre-requsite.
AND, THEY REQUIRE everyone to report any change during the study. So, how would you answer the question "why do you change your major in senior year?" during the interview? In this way, just find some easy courses to raise your GPA and have a thoughful reason to explain why you did not do well in junior year.

Oh...yes, be sure to apply early and have all your recommendation letters ASAP. Remember, Case will interview students as early as end of July and interview for alternate after October (Correct me if I get wrong information).

Hey grettlin and others,
You guys haave helped me make my decision. I am going to be an engineer. My second midterms came out and I am doing about B+ or better in every single of my class this semester after 50% of the grading so will be a great semester. I think I worked my ass of this semester to achieve what I got so far. Haven't been to party and watched like couple hours TV each week. I talked with my advisor and some of my close friends on this issue and came up with staying in engineering. Almost all said that work hard and you will atleast get 3.0 and which will be enough for your senior year.
After looking at how hard will it be next year I think I can do better by working hard and change the downward trend to upward. Anyway thanks all again for your views, opinions, and advise.