Is this a good path to Medical School?

7mcghee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting college soon in either Dental Hygiene or Paramedics (Haven't decided which one). Both, are two year courses where you earn an Associates Degree.

I live in Canada, and there are articulation agreements between the college and other universities to further your education.

If successful upon graduation, I would be eligible for direct third year entry into the Bachelor of Health Sciences at certain universities.

Once there, I could earn the pre-reqs I need for Medical school.

If I took this route, I would have some clinical experience, But I do not know which is better DH or Paramedics (For Med School).

I also plan on volunteering with the Red Cross and getting some experience in hospitals over the course of my studies.

Also.. While on summer break I could also work as a DH or a Paramedic seeing as how I would have earned my degree.

Any opinions/advide would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Any reason you can't just start with your bachelors rather than starting with an associates?

2) Do you have to do dental hygiene or paramedics? Neither is going to be particularly helpful for anything other than being a dental hygienist or paramedic. I'm not sure what the vibe is in Canada, but in the U.S. admissions committees are much more interested in well-rounded individuals than in those who slavishly pick any clinical-sounding major/activity/hobby/job, no matter how remote from medicine it might be. Major in something that interests you and that you'll do well in and you'll be a much more interesting candidate.

-Make sure you do well in school 3.7+ GPA to stay competitive.
-Rock the MCAT 30+ (35+ for competitive schools.)
-Clinical exposure such as volunteering in hospital/clinic (patient contact)
-Get involved with something non-related to medicine
-Community service
-Research during your undergrad years are also beneficial (pubs/posters etc)
-Shadowing is very important, don't forget that. (2-3 docs include primary care, 60-80+ hrs total)
-Great letters of recommendation (2 from physicians, 1 from science faculty)
-Great personal statement
Any other EC's that show leadership roles and more

These are the basic EC's most people get involved in as an undergrad. It's good to finish all this before junior year because obviously you will be applying to med schools after junior year.