Is this a good plan for med school?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so, there is a county college that costs 5k a year about 25 minutes away. They have this guaranteed admissions agreement with Rutgers (my state school). If you get a certain GPA you get in. This is with Rutgers:NB, the main campus. I plan on visiting the NB campus soon, so we will see how it goes.

The thing is, I've been talking with my parents. They seem to believe that I have what it takes as well.

However, it isn't that I'm worried about getting into med school, because that is not the problem. I'll become a doctor and live comfortably, some how, some way. This is what I want to do.

What worries me is debt. I seriously do not want to go into more debt than I have to.

The only reason I say this is because my mom has a co worker whose son is in his early 30's and works in Sports Medicine. He went two years to a local no name CC, transferred to Rutgers and went to, I think it was University of Missouri for med school and got into some program for Sports Med. He literally just bought a million dollar house around here.

I know I have heard you guys say it a million times, but I will just ask it again.

Does undergrad really not matter at all? I mean, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the fact that he got into med school after spending two years at a CC and just going to Rutgers. He actually got into like five or six med schools.

I think what got him in was his GPA though. He had a 3.9 and a 30 something MCAT so his numbers were very good.
---
What I'm trying to say is, is this an option for me? I know there are no guarantees in med school admissions, but if I do what he did, and obtain similar stats, do I REALLY have just as good a shot at UMDNJ and all these other medical schools as everyone else really?

I just crunched the numbers, by the way. I parents would end up spending 30k dollars on my undergraduate education. LESS THAN $50,000 on college.

:D:D:D

UMDNJ tuition is 23k +3k req fee=26k so figure 100-150k my parents need to spend for med school (if they can).

My parents never told me how much money they said they have but my dad said he would be able to easily put me through Ohio state which would add up to 100k for UNDERGRAD ALONE.

And, hey. If I can actually get into UMDNJ, and have my parents cover it, that would save me so many headaches its not even funny. I could actually get my own place and live decently on the 40-50k a year I'd be making as a resident and not have to worry about student loans :cool:.

Should I stick with this plan? Will I get in to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: Yeah

Long answer: Yes, you will. Get a high GPA and MCAT. ECs and do some research at Rutgers. You will get in.

I'm just hoping:

1-I'll get into med school
2-I'll get into UMDNJ so I can take advantage of IS tuition. 26k a year isn't bad at all compared to 40-50-60-70 a year some people have to pay..

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm in your same situation, and I think I'm going to have to go with the money on this one too. The school I want to attend will set me back about, oh, $177,000 dollars BEFORE even thinking about medical school. When I compare that to some other schools which would be under $50,000 dollars total, it's pretty appealing.

My guidance counselor even told me flat out that there is no way she'd recommend that I go into debt like that, no matter how good the school is. It kinda sucks, but I guess it'll be worth it in the end.

Will you get into med school? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not.

I think you need to talk to your parents about if they'll pay for medical school. That's not a very common thing. And while tuition and fees at your state school may only be $23k now...that doesn't seem to factor in living expenses and what costs might be in 4 to 5 years from now (whether higher or lower...). Most medical students live on loans.

I also think you need to be less debt averse. Simply put, most everyone graduates with high levels of debt. It's not the end of the world and med school student debt really is "good debt".

What it comes down to is this: what's more important to you - being a physician or being debt-free? And if the answer involves minimal debt in anyway...there are rural practice and military medical programs that will pay off your loans for you (not to mention that a lot of private practice contracts for recently graduated residents tend to have some bonuses or loan repayment perquisites as part of their terms).

In short, don't let debt prevent you from doing what you want to do or going where you want to go.

Unless mom and dad are paying, transfer from the community college to Rutgers (which is highly regarded) and save money. Do not complete your prerequisites there if possible. Otherwise, if you want to go to a private school, you could be like me. Currently, as of today, my private loan debt is $55,000 with another $13000 in Stafford loans. You don't want that, do you?

100,000 at Ohio State? Anyway, nobody can tell you whether you will get into medical school or not at this point. To be honest with your past performance, most people would probably say no. If you step your game up and stop slacking, maybe. There is no point in asking theoreticals, if you think you can make it into medical school, then go for it. Yes, someone can get into medical school from community college, but will it be you? Nobody knows, so just do your best and follow your heart. If you don't make it, it isn't the end of the world. Just find something you love and do it.

In short, only you can assure the success of getting into medical school. Just because you planned out where to attend college, doesn't mean you will get into medical school all of a sudden. Stop putting the carriage in front of the horse. Just do your best. Hopefully it is enough.

I am aware that no one can tell you if you are going to get into medical school or not. In med school admissions, I'm pretty sure you have no control over where you are going to get in, and that is the thing.

I mean, Rutgers seems to be a great school but I do not think I would like it nearly as much as OSU. If I stick with my original plan, I will only have to do a year at a CC and I know I'll get in somewhere. I'll have 30 credits. Ohio state accepts 84% of transfers who apply a year.

I do not know if OSU will be 100k but it will be a lot. But the thing is, I may not even get into UMDNJ, I could get into some random med school out west, if I do in fact get in. And their tuition could be 35k a year. So, that basically kills my Rutgers-state med school plan. My parents are paying for UG either way.

Sounds to me like I should just go to OSU and reach for med school...

Go where I want, since there is no guarantee, and if I don't get in, I'll apply next cycle.

Also, why would I do something else if I want to be a physician?

Unless mom and dad are paying, transfer from the community college to Rutgers (which is highly regarded) and save money. Do not complete your prerequisites there if possible. Otherwise, if you want to go to a private school, you could be like me. Currently, as of today, my private loan debt is $55,000 with another $13000 in Stafford loans. You don't want that, do you?

But is Rutgers good enough? I know there are no guarantees but if I got a 4.0 (or somewhere close to perfect) would I have a shot @ UMDNJ. A good shot?

I just feel like if I do this cc-->4yr thing I will be in undergrad for more years and miss out on research and never get in to MS.

Ideally you'll want to minimize your debt as much as possible, remember that your parents aren't made of money and would probably appreciate it.

Rutgers is a great school, don't be too anal about it.

A 4.0 anywhere would give you a good shot at anywhere. But don't think for a second that 4.0s are a dime a dozen in college like they are in high school.

Last edited:
If you like OSU more that Rutgers, then I say stick with your original plan and transfer there after a year at CC. If you haven't visited Rutgers yet though you may want to do it just to get a feel for the school to see whether or not you like it :)

But is Rutgers good enough? I know there are no guarantees but if I got a 4.0 (or somewhere close to perfect) would I have a shot @ UMDNJ. A good shot?

I just feel like if I do this cc-->4yr thing I will be in undergrad for more years and miss out on research and never get in to MS.

Rutgers is definetly good enough, they have a great reputation even out here in the midwest.

It's hard to say how good a shot anyone has just of off GPA. Other factors, especially MCAT scores play a big role.

Also if you end up going to OSU look at their instate residency regulations. I know for med school you can get instate tution after a year, i'm not sure about undergrad.

This has been said so many times: "COLLEGE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!"

As far as OSU instate, I know someone who switched to a resident and it seemed easy enough. Maybe going here for 1-2 years?

As said, a 4.0 will get you in. But you don't just get a 4.0 from a 2.5 in highschool overnight, so don't count on it. I'll put it like this, I got a 4.3 in highschool and took 5 APs in a year without studying more than 2 hours a night and I find college multitudes harder. Again, don't put the horse before the carriage, see how you do in your coming year.

Doing CC won't screw you over. Most people don't start research until atleast Sophomore year on average, if that.

As far as "why would you not be a physician?" I will be brutally honest; Freshman year, I lived in a bio sci scholars dorm. Everyone and their mother wanted to be a doctor, I can't even begin to estimate how many aren't even Bio majors anymore.