is this a good thing or a BAD thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leeney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took AAMC #3 as a diagnostic test.
It was my first time to even see how the structure of the exam is.
Obviously, it was extremely long :eek:
Some people might say why wasting AAMC test for the diagnostic test but
I just wanted to get the taste of it.

I got 8PS 8VR 8BS = 24 TOTAL.

I am not super disappointed as I took it cold. Hopefully I can push myself towards the 30 zone by the time of the real deal.

So my question is this.
Is this a bad thing that I got all 8s cause this might means that I have no section that i am good at

or

is this a good thing since scores are evenly distributed?

After taking the test, it feels much real that I am studying for this monster but i'm keeping my fingers crossed :luck:

Any kind of feedback would be great. Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine said that if you score higher than 6 it means you know the content, but need to practice. If you score less than 6 it means you're having content issues.

If I were you, I would see what problems that were missed and review the hell out of them.

I took AAMC #3 before I opened an MCAT prep book. I scored a 29. VS 11 PS 10 BS 8

I took 2 other practice MCATs while studying before the MCAT, both scores 30+, and I ended up with a 26 on the actual test, VS10, PS 8, BS 8.

So while it likely shows about where you're at, it's nothing definite.

Also, on the content issue. It could be that you know the content, or are good at test taking (critical thinking skills). MCAT is about half and half.

i think you can totally raise your PS and BS score by a couple points with content review and practice.

i took 3 as a diagnostic and i got 10P, 11V, 9B. Bio was definitely the most high yield to study (the basics concepts) and something that gets better as you get used to the format and the way they ask the questions. i thought PS would be too, but it turned out to be the most inconsistent for me, but i still managed to improve on it. i don't think my verbal really budged, but i didn't spend enough time on it either.

there's no reason you can't hit a 30 :luck: content review and practice are both needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took AAMC #3 before I opened an MCAT prep book. I scored a 29. VS 11 PS 10 BS 8

I took 2 other practice MCATs while studying before the MCAT, both scores 30+, and I ended up with a 26 on the actual test, VS10, PS 8, BS 8.

So while it likely shows about where you're at, it's nothing definite.

Also, on the content issue. It could be that you know the content, or are good at test taking (critical thinking skills). MCAT is about half and half.

Wow no offence, but i dont see how thats possible unles your reeeally bad under pressure

...and for OP ,24 is great for the first time, your basically at the median, and thats with people that DO study, your in an excellent postiion...i have two freinds who got 24 first time and then bumped up to 35 and 36 for the test

Wow no offence, but i dont see how thats possible unles your reeeally bad under pressure

I scored a 1580 on the SAT and a 34 on my ACT. Pressure is not an issue. I'm usually a very good test taker, and honestly I believe that's what saved me from a lower score. Half the PS passages were on quantum mechanics (which I HATE) and the BS was 90% molecular biology with most of the passage based questions being pseudo-discrete.

It was a bad roll of the dice.

thanks for everyone's input!
i remember myself being extremely confused when i first entered this website haha
I couldn't even tell what BR, TPR, etc were.
I guess I am taking baby steps and this forum is so helpful!!

I scored a 1580 on the SAT and a 34 on my ACT. Pressure is not an issue. I'm usually a very good test taker, and honestly I believe that's what saved me from a lower score. Half the PS passages were on quantum mechanics (which I HATE) and the BS was 90% molecular biology with most of the passage based questions being pseudo-discrete.

It was a bad roll of the dice.

ahhh sorry to hear that....according to statistics though you should get really sweet dice roll next time...