Is this a match violation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wal88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I had a quick question regarding match violations. I’m currently in my final year of medical school as a US-IMG. I am applying this year for the match. My university will issue my medical degree in June of 2021. As you all know training starts in July of 2021. I need my medical degree before training starts so I can get my ECFMG certification. Without it, I can’t start training. In my MSPE the university will write that my degree will be issued in June of 2021. If for any reason, my university does not issue my degree on time and I am unable to start residency training, will this be a match violation and will I be flagged?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you and your school will both be flagged as committing a match violation as the school has to certify that you are eligible for the match. Do you have reason to believe you won't be able to graduate in June?

I believe you and your school will both be flagged as committing a match violation as the school has to certify that you are eligible for the match. Do you have reason to believe you won't be able to graduate in June?

The university has promised to give my degree in June. However, my university can be unpredictable at times. If a match violation was to occur because the university didn’t issue the degree on time, would I be able to get a waiver since it wouldn’t be my fault?

It would not be a match violation. As mentioned, worst case scenario is that you would not be able to start on Jul 1, and you would get a match waiver. For the most part, if you can't start Jul 1 but will be able to start in late July, the NRMP will refuse the waiver and force the program to take you slightly late (which is a good deal for you).

The main issue you'll have is that you're almost guaranteed a late start. You won't be able to get ECFMG certification until you have your degree. Without that, you can't get a license or (likely) onboard with a program. That process usually takes a few weeks. If you get your diploma on Jun 1, then there's some chance that will all be done by Jul 1. Plus, many programs have orientation that starts in June, and usually requires that you've completed the onboarding process.

But most prgrams won't care all that much, since you'd know you'll start late and they would plan for that. It's just a pain from your end. Anything you can do to convince your program to move graduation to mid May will make your life simpler.

It would not be a match violation. As mentioned, worst case scenario is that you would not be able to start on Jul 1, and you would get a match waiver. For the most part, if you can't start Jul 1 but will be able to start in late July, the NRMP will refuse the waiver and force the program to take you slightly late (which is a good deal for you).

The main issue you'll have is that you're almost guaranteed a late start. You won't be able to get ECFMG certification until you have your degree. Without that, you can't get a license or (likely) onboard with a program. That process usually takes a few weeks. If you get your diploma on Jun 1, then there's some chance that will all be done by Jul 1. Plus, many programs have orientation that starts in June, and usually requires that you've completed the onboarding process.

But most prgrams won't care all that much, since you'd know you'll start late and they would plan for that. It's just a pain from your end. Anything you can do to convince your program to move graduation to mid May will make your life simpler.
Thank you so much! That makes me feel much better!