Is this a particularly competitive application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centrigeugle

less qq, more pew pew
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a number of acquaintances who are, or know, medical students and physicians. Several of them have (terrifying) stories about the way certain years can be particularly cutthroat or difficult. One was an extremely competitive (3.8+, circa 40 MCAT) who didn't get in his first try - and I know that it's simply one anecdote...but...

ARE there super-tough cycles? More saliently, are we in one right now? It seems that many medical schools are completely inundated with applications, even moreso than last year. My state university has had it's processing time nearly doubled over last year's. From perusing SDN, it seems like there's quite a bit of silence from many schools, as well as very statistically robust people who seem to be getting little or no love.

So, is 2012 one of those classes filled with hyper-competitive applicants, at the detriment to the rest of us? Is everybody 4.0/40 this year? Is it too early to tell? Or am I just being all :scared: and losing my marbles over the anxiety of the post-secondary purgatory?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a number of acquaintances who are, or know, medical students and physicians. Several of them have (terrifying) stories about the way certain years can be particularly cutthroat or difficult. One was an extremely competitive (3.8+, circa 40 MCAT) who didn't get in his first try - and I know that it's simply one anecdote...but...

ARE there super-tough cycles? More saliently, are we in one right now? It seems that many medical schools are completely inundated with applications, even moreso than last year. My state university has had it's processing time nearly doubled over last year's. From perusing SDN, it seems like there's quite a bit of silence from many schools, as well as very statistically robust people who seem to be getting little or no love.

So, is 2012 one of those classes filled with hyper-competitive applicants, at the detriment to the rest of us? Is everybody 4.0/40 this year? Is it too early to tell? Or am I just being all :scared: and losing my marbles over the anxiety of the post-secondary purgatory?

No.

Schools receive many applications every year.

More apps per school either means either more individuals applying or each individual sending out more apps 'cuz they're all freaked out that everyone has a 4.0/40.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too early to tell. I don't think it's exorbitantly competitive though

I think this application cycle is competitive, more so than in the past few years...

University of Michigan blatantly stated it in their twitter. "Stats are high, but applicants are best ever??"

The MCAT was something you took once or twice... MAX.

But now people are taking the test 3-4 times and increasing their scores. It's become a stats game... when that's not what should be happening. The whole purpose of a standardized test is to assure readiness to move on. The USMLE is pass fail.... but the 3 digit scores have become something insanely revered.

The higher the Step I score... the more competitive/prestigious your residency... It's a necessity because of the volume of applicants. They need an objective way to rank applicants.

It's the sad state that is the United States of America Medical System.

Silly you. Everyone knows even-numbered years are more competitive than odd.

Silly you. Everyone knows even-numbered years are more competitive than odd.

I didn't know about that. Is this year 2011 or 2012?

Any reason why even number year is harder?

I didn't know about that. Is this year 2011 or 2012?

Any reason why even number year is harder?

You're applying to be the incoming class of 2012, and the graduating class of 2016. Both= Even.

I think this application cycle is competitive, more so than in the past few years...

University of Michigan blatantly stated it in their twitter. "Stats are high, but applicants are best ever??"

The MCAT was something you took once or twice... MAX.

But now people are taking the test 3-4 times and increasing their scores. It's become a stats game... when that's not what should be happening. The whole purpose of a standardized test is to assure readiness to move on. The USMLE is pass fail.... but the 3 digit scores have become something insanely revered.

The higher the Step I score... the more competitive/prestigious your residency... It's a necessity because of the volume of applicants. They need an objective way to rank applicants.

It's the sad state that is the United States of America Medical System.
Competition at top schools may be "highest ever" but each year has new schools opening and older med schools increasing their enrollment. The trend in number of matriculants from 1999 to 2010:
1999: 16,221

2000: 16,301

2001: 16,365

2002: 16,488

2003: 16,541

2004: 16,648

2005: 17,003

2006: 17,361

2007: 17,759

2008: 18,036

2009: 18,390

2010: 18,665

So UMich might be having their most competitive year ever, but it remains to be seen if the admissions process as a whole is the most competitive ever. As long as applicants still apply to a wide range of schools (including more competitive, less competitive, state schools, and new schools) I would guess that they will be accepted somewhere with about the same level of "competitiveness" as before. As stated before, the top schools may be getting more competitive though, so students with top-heavy school lists beware

I wonder if we are seeing the intrusion of more post-bacc students and more reapplicants because there aren't any jobs. Folks who lived through a year of recession and then started a post bacc program would be applying about now.

The availability of information sources such as SDN, the ease to apply to 20+ schools through AMCAS, and the amount of people retaking the MCAT makes each cycle relatively more competitive.

More and more people know the "tricks" to get into med school- they know what looks good on the apps and as a result, everyone who has hospital volunteering, non-clinical work, and a dabble in research blend together into a new "average". This forces new applicants to either perform better in school, their MCATs, or pursue radical ECs in an attempt to differentiate themselves

Everything inflates over time. Gotta be able to keep up.

The availability of information sources such as SDN, the ease to apply to 20+ schools through AMCAS, and the amount of people retaking the MCAT makes each cycle relatively more competitive.

More and more people know the "tricks" to get into med school- they know what looks good on the apps and as a result, everyone who has hospital volunteering, non-clinical work, and a dabble in research blend together into a new "average". This forces new applicants to either perform better in school, their MCATs, or pursue radical ECs in an attempt to differentiate themselves

If only SDN were the principle cause of the admissions process getting more competitive...

If only SDN were the principle cause of the admissions process getting more competitive...

I don't mean to say SDN IS the principle cause, i just used it as an example of an informational resource