Is this a realisitic plan?

Started by Deepa100
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Deepa100

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I plan to just do the MCAT prep full time this Spring semester. I have an online English lit class that I need to complete by April but other than that, I am free in the evenings. I will be taking TPR starting 01/28 for 10 weeks. I already completed the prereqs and got good grades in them. I am currently registered for 04/19. Is this doable? I have not really started prepping seriously. Just doing some occasional review. I expect that it will speed up once the review class starts.
Thanks!
 
Hi,
I plan to just do the MCAT prep full time this Spring semester. I have an online English lit class that I need to complete by April but other than that, I am free in the evenings. I will be taking TPR starting 01/28 for 10 weeks. I already completed the prereqs and got good grades in them. I am currently registered for 04/19. Is this doable? I have not really started prepping seriously. Just doing some occasional review. I expect that it will speed up once the review class starts.
Thanks!

Traditionally, the April MCAT test is the last you want to take so that you can submit your primary to AMCAS by early June. You want to submit the 1st moment possible so that you are competitive. But don't blow off studying for the MCAT-it is recommended that you do your best in 1 shot.

As a slight aside for your other question. Rec. letters aren't due until secondaries come due. If you submit your primary to AMCAS at June opening, then you might get secondary requests by July/Aug, and you should have those complete (with the letter) before September to be in the most competitive position,
 
Hi,
I plan to just do the MCAT prep full time this Spring semester. I have an online English lit class that I need to complete by April but other than that, I am free in the evenings. I will be taking TPR starting 01/28 for 10 weeks. I already completed the prereqs and got good grades in them. I am currently registered for 04/19. Is this doable? I have not really started prepping seriously. Just doing some occasional review. I expect that it will speed up once the review class starts.
Thanks!

The plan is good. Just study hard for the MCAT and make sure to get in your applications early.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you say you have good grades in the pre-reqs, what do you mean?

A 3.x GPA in all the pre-reqs (o-chem, physics, etc.)?

Then you'd be in good shape.
 
Figure out how many hours of total prep time you need and then build your schedule from there. I spent around 400 total hours studying, taking practice exams etc. I did this over 10 weeks, for 40 hours a week with basically nothing else going on.

It's great to take it in April if you are ready, but don't take the test then if you are not. I think the best time to take the test is when you are fully prepared. I'd rather see you get a 30+ in August, then a 27 in April. With score reporting in a month now, as long as you take it by July and have everything else done in advance you will be fine with the application timelines.
 
When you say you have good grades in the pre-reqs, what do you mean?

A 3.x GPA in all the pre-reqs (o-chem, physics, etc.)?

Then you'd be in good shape.

All A's except one A-. That A- would have been an A if the class were curved.😳
 
Figure out how many hours of total prep time you need and then build your schedule from there. I spent around 400 total hours studying, taking practice exams etc. I did this over 10 weeks, for 40 hours a week with basically nothing else going on.

It's great to take it in April if you are ready, but don't take the test then if you are not. I think the best time to take the test is when you are fully prepared. I'd rather see you get a 30+ in August, then a 27 in April. With score reporting in a month now, as long as you take it by July and have everything else done in advance you will be fine with the application timelines.

Sounds good!
 
Thanks,every one! I will target April 19th and see how it goes w/ practise tests. If I am not scoring well consistently by then, I will hold off till May.
 
Figure out how many hours of total prep time you need and then build your schedule from there. I spent around 400 total hours studying, taking practice exams etc. I did this over 10 weeks, for 40 hours a week with basically nothing else going on.

It's great to take it in April if you are ready, but don't take the test then if you are not. I think the best time to take the test is when you are fully prepared. I'd rather see you get a 30+ in August, then a 27 in April. With score reporting in a month now, as long as you take it by July and have everything else done in advance you will be fine with the application timelines.


Gman is usually spot on-so I am not trying to contradict him. However, the holdup may not be on the MCAT grading (since it is computerized, it is conceivable that it would be done fast) but on AMCAS processing everything. Even if you hit submit the minute acceptable, and AMCAS ostensibly was waiting on the scores, remember they will have 10,000 others doing about the same at the same time. AMCAS can take over a month to process the data once everything is complete. It would be best to make sure you are finished when you hit submit so you are legitimately ready This is even more important since you want to do EDP.

But no matter what-do not sacrifice the MCAT in hopes of a EDP easing your fears. This is a one shot deal, in all honesty
 
Your MCAT grade will show up on your AMCAS application the day it is available. It could be the next day, but no later then that.

As for the rest of your app, I was trying to say have it all done and verified by the time you take the MCAT if you are taking it later in the cycle. The holdup will be with your transcripts getting verified or maybe with missing LORs. Everything else is mainly in your control. I'd allow about 8 weeks from submitting your transcripts and app until it gets verified. It may be faster, but err on the safe side. You can even request your transcripts before you submit the app. This could save you a week or two in case your school is slow on these requests.

I took the MCAT in July still applied EDP. The main thing with EDP is talk to the school and make sure you understand what they require.
 
Your MCAT grade will show up on your AMCAS application the day it is available. It could be the next day, but no later then that.

I've never tried this-I hit submit when I saw everything was kosher-i.e. got the little Email from AMCAS stating they received the transcript, MCAT, etc.then I hit submit. I agree that the transcript is the biggest stumbling block-can one submit a transcript the last day of exams (May) and see AMCAS vetting the grades before the June submission date? In other words, once AMCAS receives the transcript-do they start the job of verifying (even before I give them my credit card #?)

As for the rest of your app, I was trying to say have it all done and verified by the time you take the MCAT if you are taking it later in the cycle. The holdup will be with your transcripts getting verified or maybe with missing LORs. Everything else is mainly in your control.

LOR's are due with the secondary. My use of interfolio was invaluable here. They moved fast at a few key-strokes to get as many or as few as you want sent off. Get an interfolio account and have the LORs ready about the time you submit your AMCAS and transcripts.
 
I don't think they will verify until you submit, but you could request your transcripts a week or two in advance. You may want to look into how long it takes your school to process the request.

Feel free to PM me if I confused you.
 
I've never tried this-I hit submit when I saw everything was kosher-i.e. got the little Email from AMCAS stating they received the transcript, MCAT, etc.then I hit submit. I agree that the transcript is the biggest stumbling block-can one submit a transcript the last day of exams (May) and see AMCAS vetting the grades before the June submission date? In other words, once AMCAS receives the transcript-do they start the job of verifying (even before I give them my credit card #?)



LOR's are due with the secondary. My use of interfolio was invaluable here. They moved fast at a few key-strokes to get as many or as few sent off. Get an interfolio account and have the LORs ready about the time you submit your AMCAS and transcripts.

I already have an interfolio account and 4 LORs sitting there. I plan to add a couple more before I submit.
 
I already have an interfolio account and 4 LORs sitting there. I plan to add a couple more before I submit.

Look at this attachment and make sure that you don't go crazy with letters (don't send 10-med schools won't read all of them). Even better, if you can get a committee letter from school-it works a little better.
 

Attachments

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad