Is this a smart idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparky7189

Reaction score
I am already on my gap year currently (graduated May 2023). I originally planned on applying this upcoming cycle and took my MCAT on 1/26. Unfortunately, I did worse than my FL avg: 514 but I got 510 (128/122/129/131). My CARS absolutely tanked for some reason.

I currently scheduled a retake for 4/27 b/c I don't want to get screened out due to my CARS score. On top of studying for my retake, I need to still write my personal statement, build school list, and finish my application. I know it is best to submit right when apps open.

I was just wondering would it be a good idea to take the retake again in less than two months while wrapping up my application to apply this cycle or should I push off to next cycle (though I really don't want to). If I build my school list, I should build it around my current mcat score right?

Here are my stats, etc for reference:
CA, ORM :(

School/GPA: UC Berkeley, 3.89

MCAT: 510 (128/122/129/131) -> really got fcked by CARS (I had a 514 FL avg so surprised I dropped this much)

Clinical Experience (volunteering at two different hospitals): ~420 hours total (Aug 2023 - present)

Emergency Department/PCU volunteer at one hospital - (around maybe 270 hours by June)

Volunteer at nursing station at another hospital - (around maybe 150 hours by June)

Hospice volunteer - (prob will be <50 hours by then, I started pretty late for this due to logistical issues so I don't know if I should even include this activity)

Non-Clinical Volunteer: 300 hours (4 years total (3 years in undergrad and 1 year postgrad))

Served as director for a music tutoring club that provides free music lessons to low-income students near my university (really enjoy this one since I love music)

Research: ~600 hours at a micro bio lab (a year and a half)

co-authored a manuscript that is under review currently, presented at a small symposium held by my university

~100 hours at a optometry lab (I don't know if should I include this since it didn't last long)

Bio Lab Undergraduate Student Instructor: ~300 hours (2 semesters)

Shadowing: Shadowing a physician in pediatric department and will have around 30 hours by June (March - June)

(Starting this week since it took really long to get this set up)

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT is a high stakes, career deciding exam. Do not retake it until you are 100% ready for it, even if it means skipping an app cycle. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

OR, save yourself the trouble and a year of attending's salary, and apply to DO schools.

Reactions: 3 users
510 isn't too far an expected drop from 514, so if you think you can nail 520 in 2 months, take the risk.

But you need the hours to work on a strong application. What have your done in this gap year?

Avoid getting screened out:
* 50 hours shadowing including some primary care
* 150 hours of clinical experience (paid or volunteer) that is patient facing
* 150 hours of service orientation activities (food distribution, shelter volunteer, job and tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation) in-person. Tutoring and fundraising do not count.
* Any single activity under 50 hours other than shadowing is generally discounted. Future hours are disregarded.

The more you have, the better you can demonstrate your mission fit and passion for healthcare and medical careers.

Reactions: 4 users
Moved to WAMC. Agree with the above. If you have reason to believe you can increase your score substantially, then you can keep studying for the MCAT. But you will need more non-clinical volunteering to those less fortunate. Let us know your new score if you retake. For DO, try:

Touro CA
Touro NV
AZCOM (high tuition fyi)
Western
PCOM
KCU
DMU
NYIT
Marian
KCOM (Kirksville)

For MD, without substantial additional volunteering, I suggest:

UCD