Is this broad enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabeel76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the list of the schools that I will be sending my primary application to. I am a VA applicant so if you guys see some schools that are not too out of state friendly let me know and I will take them off the list. I know that my list is a little top heavy but I've got money and I'm not worried about maximizing my chances at these schools. I just want to make sure that I still manage to apply broadly however.

Boston University
Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
UCLA (Geffen)
Drexel
Duke
EVMS
GW
Georgetown
Harvard
Jefferson
Hopkins
USC
Loyola
MCW
New York Medical College
NYU
Northwestern
Rosalind Franklin
Saint Louis
Stanford
Temple
Ohio State
University of Toledo
Tulane
U of Chicago
U of Cincinnati
U of Maryland
UPenn
U of Rochester
UVA
Vanderbilt
VCU
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Brown
Cornell
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

Here is the list of the schools that I will be sending my primary application to. I am a VA applicant so if you guys see some schools that are not too out of state friendly let me know and I will take them off the list. I know that my list is a little top heavy but I've got money and I'm not worried about maximizing my chances at these schools. I just want to make sure that I still manage to apply broadly however.

Boston University
Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
UCLA (Geffen)
Drexel
Duke
EVMS
GW
Georgetown
Harvard
Jefferson
Hopkins
USC
Loyola
MCW
New York Medical College
NYU
Northwestern
Rosalind Franklin
Saint Louis
Stanford
Temple
Ohio State
University of Toledo
Tulane
U of Chicago
U of Cincinnati
U of Maryland
UPenn
U of Rochester
UVA
Vanderbilt
VCU
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Brown
Cornell
Yale
I think we may need a little more information than "VA resident" to help you out. If you are an above average applicant then you should be able to gain admission to one of those schools. If you are an average applicant or lower you may need some more forgiving schools than you have listed. Good Luck.

That's A LOT of schools. If you have strong stats, I'd cut it down just for sanity. You'll have to fill out a ridiculous amount of secondaries (and the ones for schools you REALLY want to go to may suffer because of stress).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that we need more info on your stats and ECs to tell you if this list is good.

I'm moving this to "What are my Chances."

Thanks for those that replied. Here are some of my stats - someone mentioned "more forgiving schools," which schools are these exactly? I want to make sure I add those to the list.

Stats: I am a non-traditional student, 32 years old -- I always wanted to be a doctor but had to support my parents due to financial hardships throughout and after high school making college and med school impractical for me when I was younger...

Degree: Biology, BA and Chemistry, BS

GPA Caveat: I have 5 F's from 1995 on my college transcript due to the fact that I enrolled in 2 different schools at the same time. I hope that when adcoms see that the enrollment dates were the same that they understand that I could not be in 2 different places at the same time. This is all explained in my PS and primary app etc. I had to enroll in the tech school (company paid) due to financial hardships at home. I am applying as a disadvantaged applicant since I had to work to support my parents throughout high school.

GPA with F's factored in:

Cumulative GPA with F's 3.59 w/o F's 3.76
Science GPA with F's 3.67 w/o F's 3.67
AO GPA with F's 3.45 w/o F's 3.83

I haven't taken the MCAT yet but am scoring between 32-37 on the practice tests, I am going to keep at it for a little longer to try and get my score as high as possible.

EC's: I have a very unique story as I was raised in a war-zone in Afghanistan for the first years of my life.

I also have had a 10 year career as a internet backbone engineer. I was a manager and had engineers with masters degree's etc. reporting to me. I did a lot of research and development in addition to teaching during these years as well. I have 14 industry certifications and a diploma from a tech school as well.

I have approx 500 hours community volunteering, 200 hours clinical volunteering and 3 years of research in broadband engineering and 1 semester of research in physical chemistry.

I know that my grades aren't as high as they can be but I can guarantee that my story is as unique as it gets, we were even held as a prisoners when trying to escape into Pakistan by the Mujahideen at age 6 in Eastern Afghanistan. If the school likes diversity in its class well then I am it... I guess it all depends on the MCAT for me... but I want to submit my primary prior to that so any help from what I've listed here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited: