is this burned-out or need a therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hermeone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't where to post this but I though it should be here

I don't know if I am already burned out. Silly? maybe...

I was working more than 40 hours last summer and then took 27 credit hours for autumn quarter and 2 research jobs and now that it is during the break, I feel so out of place, empty...

I go to bed at 3:30 in the morning and get up at 2-3 pm during the day. I have no motivation to do anything or even to go to work. I know I should be studying or reading books. But I just don't feel like doing it. My mind is lazy.

Sometimes, I feel depressed for no reason and sometimes I get up during the night weeping for nothing. I am really puzzled with myself. I feel irritated all the time and I always cut people off when talkign to them. ALso, I don't focus/concentrate well ont he things I do anymore. This is only 3 days after the final. I am not worry about grades. I did well. I just don't know what is going with me. I am freaking out. Though I have friends, I don't feel like going out with anyone not even a date!

Should I get a therapy? I don't think I am crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe you have seasonal affect disorder and just aren't seeing the sun enough. Go out and purchase some artificial sunlight and use that as your lighting while you are working at night.

From the symptoms you mentioned:

Originally posted by Hermeone
I have no motivation to do anything or even to go to work...

Sometimes, I feel depressed for no reason and sometimes I get up during the night weeping for nothing...

I feel irritated all the time and I always cut people off when talkign to them...

I don't focus/concentrate well ont he things I do anymore. This is only 3 days after the final...

Though I have friends, I don't feel like going out with anyone...

It sounds like classic "clinical depression" I think an evaluation by a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist would be a very good idea. An evaluation by a licensed professional would be able to tell you whether it's depression or something else as well as what would be the most effective course of treatment (psychotherapy or medication) if any is warranted. It seems that a sufficient amount of time has elapsed in order to determine if this is a transient condition, and from what you said, it doesn't sound like this is the case. I wish you all the best in the future as well as with whatever decision you make regarding your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you should go see your primary care physician or a psychiatrist. you would likely benefit from anti-depressants and/or psychotherapy. although i'm no expert in these matters, we are currently in a depression module, and you have several symptoms of depression.

If this is a new thing (like last three days) then its probably all the stress catching up to you. Relax for a few days, you'll feel better. If this is a pattern you've been noticing for a while I would see your PMD about it. Force yourself to go out and have fun and see if it makes a difference. Sometimes we get so caught up in our work/school world that we begin to "like the prison". Sort of the "House of God" syndrome.

I have this symptoms every school break (whenever I am not working/taking classes/ studying- basically when I don't have a schedule in my life)

I'm not sure how long you have been feeling this way, nor do I really have a solid sense of how you are feeling.

If this feeling lasts for more than a week or two, I agree with going to see your primary care physician or a psychiatrist/psychologist. Your description of how you are feeling sounds like a depressive episode to me, but if it only lasts for a couple of days it may just be a little recuparitive funk. I'd also like to encourage you to exercise, for it has been shown in many studies to be just as effective in improving mental well-being as some antidepressants. However, I know that might seem like a big hurdle considering how apathetic you seem to be feeling toward getting out and about. There is also a lot of stigma surrounding mental illness that makes many people very uncomfortable when they think about potentially seeking help. Often times, it is difficult for people to seek help with mental illness b/c they don't want to be seen as weak or 'crazy'. It is tough, and it is something that most of us will experience at some point in our lives. I'm not sure where you go to school, but many schools have some sort of well-being center for their students who are in need of advice.

So, I would: a. make an appointment with someone who can provide you with good information and options - i.e. primary care doc, counselor, psych.. There are many options which you may benefit from including learning good sleep hygiene, exercise, cognitive behavioral therapy, and possibly medications, b. force yourself to exercise!! and c. remove any stigma that you have toward depression.

Also, if you feel comfortable..talk about how you are feeling with friends, family, loved-ones, etc. For some reason our culture promotes a demeanor where we are taught to 'look like we have it all together', but sometimes that sort of internal isolation can be additive as far as stress is concerned.

Good luck.

Do you have a type A personality? Sounds to me you are a workaholic and may even enjoy the frantic pace your work and school provides you. I would just try to learn to relax and enjoy the down time. If not just keep yourself busy during breaks, exercise, volunteer, go out with friends, etc...

I am type A. A perfectionist. I try to be easy with myself but it failed

yes, I really like tight schedule. Fast pace life with tons of things on my schedule. I don't get overwhelmed by them. I really enjoy them but now I am feeling low and depressed.

Originally posted by Hermeone
I am type A. A perfectionist. I try to be easy with myself but it failed

maybe you spend more time working on that.

from your description i didn't realize that this wasn't an ongoing thing. i dunno, i still think you should talk to someone about it. it is natural to sort of let down after a high-stress low-sleep period, but waking up to cry in the night isn't anything i've experienced after high-stress low-sleep periods. (that doesn't mean it is not normal. i have no idea if that's normal/healthy or not, but it might not be.) when you said you don't want to go out with friends i thought you meant all the time. is it only when you are recovering that you don't want to see your friends?
it sounds like you may need to give yourself a break! i, too, used to run myself down but have now learned to lead a more balanced life, which makes me much happier overall.

it is not an ongoing thing. it is periodic. particularly when I don't have a schedule to follow. True, I do wake up crying for no reason.
I should start exercising 2-3 hours a day maybe that should work. I use to exercise only 1 hour aday

2-3 hours a day is excessive! believe me, i used to do it. 1 hour a day should be plenty.
if it's periodic and doesn't last for a while, then it's not clinical depression. however, this kind of thing will take a toll on you if you live your life this way. it's one thing to live like this while in college, but it's quite another to put this kind of stress on yourself after you graduate.
it's kind of sad you feel empty without your activities :(. i have a friend like that. she is always saying she is bored and depressed when she has like a week off or something. you should learn to enjoy your time off! that doesn't mean being totally inactive, but maybe taking it easy with a good book and a nice dinner or something. if you try not to wear yourself down so much you will find enjoyment in your time off. it's easier said than done, particularly while you are a student, but when you get into the working world and/or med school (ha!) you should make an effort to put less stress on yourself. going to a med school without grades has really helped me find a good balance.

erm i hate to say this but i do tell my friends i am bored and depressed.

ALright, scratch that 2-3 hours exercise. 1 hour every day. I will continue with electone playing and reading

Thank you for your advice/ suggestion.

so the question is do you enjoy working hard and feel down when you lack the structure in your daily life or do you work hard to mask/avoid dealing with other issues in your life. In other words is there an underlying depression that you are able to ignore when you are busy and is the reason you try to stay so busy? I don't know the answer, but I suspect if you think about it you'll figure it out. Best of luck.

oh no.... come to think of it, I think I might have worked hard with all those heavy schedules to mask my depression.

No, I don't like feeling down after all the hectic times. I like hectic life, fast pace and exciting one but down time? No.

I begin to realise that I do have a problem now.

Thanks for all the help and those who offer to help. :)

hey girl, hang in there and try to enjoy this break, and do what you need to do (set schedules, exercise, whatever) to get the most out of it. . .and then if you feel like you still want to, it can't hurt to go talk to someone(counselor) back at school about it. hope things get better, and congrats for being done w/the semester! :)

try getting more sunlight. It sounds like you're averaging 2-3 hours a day if you're getting up that late, and that is a very low amount.

Also consider cyclothymia (I think thats a word) or hypomania/ depression. I'm not saying you have it which is difficult to tell over a website, but its in the differential. If you're really concerned perhaps a counselor would be a good idea.