Is this clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a15z

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did 4 years of research, meeting with patients in teams of physician consults, and studying disease models based on patient data. Can I record this as medical/clinical volunteering instead of non-clinical? Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@LizzyM it does include actually setting up treatment sessions for patients who are receiving care and assisting care teams

@LizzyM it does include actually setting up treatment sessions for patients who are receiving care and assisting care teams

Is the "treatment" part of of the research protocol? I actually did this as part of my job decades ago and I would not have thought it clinical... I was a research support person even when I was carrying blood samples and study drug from one place to another and talking with research subjects by phone and in clinic. And they weren't "patients"; they were research subjects. (They had a serious, medical condition and many died while on study but I still never considered them our "patients". We had patients we saw in the same clinical area but not on the same days as study subjects. Study participation was separate from clinical care. There was no FDA approved treatment for their condition so it wasn't a case of prescribing usual care plus study drug.)

But I always think that it is better to be conservative in calling things "clinical". Let the adcom give you credit for clinical that you didn't claim; far better than being criticized for calling something "clinical" and then getting slapped down for doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is the "treatment" part of of the research protocol? I actually did this as part of my job decades ago and I would not have thought it clinical... I was a research support person even when I was carrying blood samples and study drug from one place to another and talking with research subjects by phone and in clinic. And they weren't "patients"; they were research subjects.

But I always think that it is better to be conservative in calling things "clinical". Let the adcom give you credit for clinical that you didn't claim; far better than being criticized for calling something "clinical" and then getting slapped down for doing so.
Thanks!

If I get the word "clinical" in my job title, does that count towards clinical research? I interact with/interview patients daily as part of the research.