Is this common?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gundam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, I'm not greedy or anything, but just sorta perplexed by the numbers.

I met this Oral Sugeon guy. He's in his late 40s and he claimed to have gotten into a good practice and since his partner passed away, he's able to take home all the profits he made. He said he made about 1 million a year.

On the other hand, I was told by two other oral surgeons that the average for OS is somewhere near 250,000 a year, which is quite a bit lower than the ADA average of 390,000. As I believe there's always extreme cases, who should I believe?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a personal opinion, which is probably a little too extreme and biased, since I'm still in shock from my recent experience with an unethical doctor...

Having said that, generally, someone who takes time to talk to patients, provide all treatment options, and provide the best care instead of the most-money-making 'care' should not make too much money. Unless of course if they focus on cosmetic aspects or their patients are really good at paying cash. To make that kind of money, the doctor has to either charge more than average (which is completely fine, if the patients are willing to pay), or sacrifice quality for quantity (which I would consider unethical). I think somewhere between $200,000 to 600,000 sounds about right, but I'm not basing this on anything, so take it or leave it.