Is this community service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

send_help

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tutor underserved grade school students (virtually) a few times a week. It's mostly stuff like reading, writing, and basic math. I am also making videos for students that go over some high school subjects (chemistry, etc.). This is done through a tutoring organization and is unpaid. Are adcoms going to view this as tutoring or community service?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes indeed it counts
Thanks so much for the reply! So if I have like 350 hours of this, per se, I wouldn’t need to have stuff like soup kitchen, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is your choice. Frankly, I'd go with volunteer non-clinical and absolve yourself of doing even more volunteering. Tutoring/teaching usually means tutoring HS or college subjects or teaching at any level as a full-time educator. It can be paid or unpaid (f/t is usually paid, of course, while part-time tutoring can be paid or unpaid.)

Reactions: 1 user
To the contrary, I will say it's tutoring with an asterisk that you worked with underserved kids, but I would still expect you to do something that really gets you out if your comfort zone. Unless you have done City Year/TFA/Americorps in a full-time position, this doesn't convince me of your service orientation. There are dozens of such tutoring programs that are set up for college students through club partnerships or even a service learning office. Now you may be doing a bit more but the videos tick off my "teaching skills" development box, not community service. If there are more details that are important, I can consider a change in position.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user