Is this considered research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

working123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have worked in the research & development lab at a manufacturing company specializing in hair care, body products, etc full time for two summers. I basically handle chemicals, work with their test products, collect "data" and whatnot. I also had to wear a lab coat if that counts.

But yea, just wondering if that constitutes as anything. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Need a bit more detail about what you actually did to determine if you did research, as opposed to handling chemicals without any specific goal.

Would need to know more about what "data collection" involved. Usually research means working on a project as part of a lab, where you design the experiments, carry them out, and analyze the data.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have worked in the research & development lab at a manufacturing company specializing in hair care, body products, etc full time for two summers. I basically handle chemicals, work with their test products, collect "data" and whatnot. I also had to wear a lab coat if that counts.

I am a cheme. Based on what I have heard of these kinds of jobs it would definitely count as research. Even if what you did wasn't 100% research like I think it is, I am sure you could spin it to be that way.

The pulldownmenu item reads Research/Lab, so even if you aren't doing hypothesis-based, original, potentially publishable research, you certainly are doing lab work, so you can use that designation if you prefer not to use an Employment tag.

More detail would be greatly appreciated. Also, I audibly laughed at the "I wear a lab coat if that counts " bit.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm getting divided answers.

My days basically entailed of creating a database of the company's chemicals, doing inventory and going through test products to decide if they were still useful to any current business deals, filework, and the occasional making of a test product.
The lab overall works on making products for clients that if successful, become deals. So for example, if Walmart likes the generic hair conditioner we make, they'll order 250,000 units of the stuff and I basically helped in a really really small way for that.

So yea, still research/lab or nah?

Hmm getting divided answers.

My days basically entailed of creating a database of the company's chemicals, doing inventory and going through test products to decide if they were still useful to any current business deals, filework, and the occasional making of a test product.
The lab overall works on making products for clients that if successful, become deals. So for example, if Walmart likes the generic hair conditioner we make, they'll order 250,000 units of the stuff and I basically helped in a really really small way for that.

So yea, still research/lab or nah?
I think using the Employment tag is more appropriate.

Hmm ok I was just wondering in case I won't be able to secure a research position at school within the next year. Thanks everyone!

Hmm ok I was just wondering in case I won't be able to secure a research position at school within the next year. Thanks everyone!

At the end of the day you know this experience better than any of us. If you can intelligently write about and talk about (in an interview) how this experience helped you learn about the scientific process, I would say go ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
If a lab position was paid are you supposed to list it as Employment instead of Research/Lab? Or is it at applicant discretion?