Is this course load too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhino1000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I know many of you will be tempted to "look inside myself and I should know if I can handle this workload," but I am curious if YOU would change one of the classes.

Last semester, I took the following classes:
(5) Organic chemistry I
(4) Human Anatomy and Physiology I
(4) Biology II
(3) American Cinema

I was able to get A's in all of them except Biology II (B), it was actually at an 88%, so I was really close to an A.
+3 hours a week volunteering.

This took a lot of studying and I wasn't able to hang out with my friends over weekends as much as I would have liked.

This semester, I am planning on taking:
(5) Organic Chemistry II
(4) Human Anatomy and Physiology II
(4) Microbiology**
(3) Psychology
**I believe that the microbiology (2100) is not an "upper level class," because I am a sophomore at a community college.

I have a cGPA of 3.6 and a sGPA of 3.84.
Given my relatively low extracurriculars:
-70 hours folding towels at a hospital, which I am not longer doing
-90 hours for another nonclinical volunteer position, which I am still doing 2.5 hours/week

Do you think that I should switch microbiology with macro economics? I would think that macro would be an easier class...
Also, any comments on how it appears that I am doing, and what I can do to "up my game" in extracurriculars? I applied to one place as a medical scribe, and probably will apply to a few more in the next few weeks here?

*Note: I still need to take Physics I and II.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope it looks fine. It will be challenging of course but if you put in the dedication and time necessary you will do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I know many of you will be tempted to "look inside myself and I should know if I can handle this workload," but I am curious if YOU would change one of the classes.

Last semester, I took the following classes:
(5) Organic chemistry I
(4) Human Anatomy and Physiology I
(4) Biology II
(3) American Cinema

I was able to get A's in all of them except Biology II (B), it was actually at an 88%, so I was really close to an A.
+3 hours a week volunteering.

This took a lot of studying and I wasn't able to hang out with my friends over weekends as much as I would have liked.

This semester, I am planning on taking:
(5) Organic Chemistry II
(4) Human Anatomy and Physiology II
(4) Microbiology**
(3) Psychology
**I believe that the microbiology (2100) is not an "upper level class," because I am a sophomore at a community college.

I have a cGPA of 3.6 and a sGPA of 3.84.
Given my relatively low extracurriculars:
-70 hours folding towels at a hospital, which I am not longer doing
-90 hours for another nonclinical volunteer position, which I am still doing 2.5 hours/week

Do you think that I should switch microbiology with macro economics? I would think that macro would be an easier class...
Also, any comments on how it appears that I am doing, and what I can do to "up my game" in extracurriculars? I applied to one place as a medical scribe, and probably will apply to a few more in the next few weeks here?

I'd be fine with that workload. I would not work more than part time though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Hmm, it doesn't seem unbearable, but if it makes you unhappy (as it sounds it does) then you should probably take less.

OK guys, I'm sticking with this schedule.

What do you guys think I ought to do as far as extracurriculars?

Ok, I can work hard academically. Any comments about my extracurriculars?

Don't commit to any ECs until you feel out the workload.

Don't commit to any ECs until you feel out the workload.

I appreciate the advice. So let's say I feel that I can fit in 10 hours of extracurriculars, if you were in my shoes what extracurriculars would you try to get involved in?

I'd honestly say ditch the volunteering: personally shadow some physicians for clinical experience and then spend some time in a non-medical volunteering project with a group like Habitat For Humanity or Big Brothers, Big Sisters.

nah. iirc i had physics, ochem, an analytical chem and one other upper class biology course one semester, but i only did a little shadowing that semester. id say it was borderline too much (and if i can hack it believe you can) but i would agree that yours is very doable

I appreciate the advice. So let's say I feel that I can fit in 10 hours of extracurriculars, if you were in my shoes what extracurriculars would you try to get involved in?

Either a meaningful clinical volunteering position that you feel you actually get something out of, or shadowing, or continuing the non-clinical volunteering you have going.

Hospital volunteering and pick a club you are interested in dedicating a lot of time in the future to

:thumbup:

There has got to be a better way of wording that you folded towels for 70 hours in a hospital.

Also, why in god's name did you fold towels in a hospital...let alone 70 hours?

There has got to be a better way of wording that you folded towels for 70 hours in a hospital.

Also, why in god's name did you fold towels in a hospital...let alone 70 hours?

Need dem hours brah.

I basically folded towels over bowls/trays filled with surgical tools. Hey, someone has to do it.