Is this courseload overwhelming or doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxhungry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Calculus 1
Genetic/w Lab
Bio2/w Lab
OChem/w Lab

Any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Time management is key. If you have a job, research, or other activities, I would utilize a planner/schedule to keep track. I think it is very doable with proper planning.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on what year you are. If you're a first year, then yeah thats a lot. But if you're a second or third year, then you should be good as long as you have time management skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's tough, but as already mentioned time management is key. Dental school course load is wayyyyyyy heavier than that, so it might be a good idea to have a large course load now to condition yourself for dental school.
As long as you stay focused and dont fall behind in any class, you should be ok

Reactions: 1 users

Calculus 1
Genetic/w Lab
Bio2/w Lab
OChem/w Lab

Literally looks like my schedule a few years back. Overwhelming at times. I took a&p w/ lab, ochem w/lab, microbio w/ lab, stats, government, & speech. When i say, no one saw me that semester! Lol. Just manage your time, look at ochem everyday, & find a hobby to stay sane outside of class. Youll do fine!
Also if youre good in Math, calculus is a class you can hold off till a few days before the exam. I always studied it last.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently taking:

Biochem / lab
Genetics / lab
Neuroscience
Parasitology / lab
And Cal 1 (8 weeks course)

And i work part time during the weekend.

You got plenty of time.

You people cray cray, I did like 12 credits a semester and got into plenty of dental schools.

Reactions: 5 users
I would definitely advise against it if want solid A's in all those courses. I would take no more than two labs a semester. Information from genetics and biology will overlap, which is nice. But organic chemistry is going to require the most amount of time, at least it did for me. Substitute one of the science classes for an easy course (I'm sure you have plenty of gen eds left).

I would definitely advise against it if want solid A's in all those courses. I would take no more than two labs a semester. Information from genetics and biology will overlap, which is nice. But organic chemistry is going to require the most amount of time, at least it did for me. Substitute one of the science classes for an easy course (I'm sure you have plenty of gen eds left).
I guess it depends on the person's background. Organic was my least studied and best subject.

Calculus 1
Genetic/w Lab
Bio2/w Lab
OChem/w Lab

I am currently taking ochem 1 w lab, A&P with lab, Neuroscience, and am doing a research project in biology on whether Obesity is genetic or not, it has to be a 18-24 page paper. so I think you're good. also, the course load just gets harder and harder each year, so better prepare yourself now by taking these classes.
1 semester I took, chem 1, physics 1, calculus, microbio, and a computer core class. that semester I got A- in each class except calculus I got a b+, however, that semester REALLY taught me how to study for exams and manage time. now I feel that I can do any course load.
YOU GOT THIS!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I took Genchem 2 + lab, Biochem (5 credit hours), Organic 1 lab, and Calc based physics 2 + lab a year ago. Also was volunteering and participating in dental club. That was a tough semester but I got 2 A+'s and 2 A's. I learned how to truly study that semester, and you can do it as well!

Practice your study habits to fully prepare for the impending courseload, Dental school allows no room to fall behind (generally).