Is this EC worth putting on an application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yeesh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I normally tutor students privately. There is one student, however, that I have managed to strike up a bond with. So, for the past five years, I have not only tutored this student, but I have also acted as a mentor and guidance counselor. Our goal is for this student to get a PhD. In addition, I am even conducting outside scientific research projects with this student, with me being the lead investigator. We are even close to publishing a paper together. This is obviously an EC since this is not at all tied to the university. But, how would I go about describing this and is it something that can be put in an application? The student's parents are more than willingly to affirm that I was officially hired by the them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

No really, I'm serious. I admit it's kind of out there, but that's why I'm asking for opinions on this board. Would it help to mention that this student is younger than me? Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to tutor him. It sounds like something that only a trained professional could do, but in fact, it's not that complicated. We all take the same courses for the most part, so I am just relaying the same information I got from my undergrad. expereince.

Members don't see this ad :)
No really, I'm serious. I admit it's kind of out there, but that's why I'm asking for opinions on this board.

No, I'm serious. I don't believe you. Let's take a look...

"Our goal is for this student to get a PhD."

wtf are you talking about?

"In addition, I am even conducting outside scientific research projects with this student, with me being the lead investigator. We are even close to publishing a paper together."

Lies.

"The student's parents are more than willingly to affirm that I was officially hired by the them."

Oh really? They'll say you were "officially" hired? As opposed to, unofficially hired? Get real.

I'd write about it in the personal statement. It sounds like you would talk about tutoring as an important experience, and elaborating with this example would make at the very least a really strong paragraph, maybe more, depending on how important tutoring was to helping you to decide "why medicine".

I wouldn't attempt to put down anythng like "guidance counselor" or "mentor" (let alone "PI"). When in doubt about giving yourself a title, lean toward under-stating, and then let the content of your experience and your reflections speak for themselves.

"In addition, I am even conducting outside scientific research projects with this student, with me being the lead investigator. We are even close to publishing a paper together."

Lies.

"The student's parents are more than willingly to affirm that I was officially hired by the them."

Oh really? They'll say you were "officially" hired? As opposed to, unofficially hired? Get real.

In the OP's defense, I met a ton of amazing people on the interview trail, to the extent that I'm surprised I got offers where I did. He also mentioned in a previous post that he was a lab manager, so it's entirely possible that he is conducting experiments and mentoring. I would stay away from giving himself titles like 'PI', but beyond that, I don't know the OP, so I'm not going to call BS on him so confidently (*cough*).

Lies.

Okay, the guy wants a PhD in Physiology (my major), so I am willing to stick with him all the way through (clarifies the first quote). It is well known that most students in an ecology lab (see my post) often write what are called review/literature papers, in which very little money is needed and NO experimentation is done. In fact, you don't even need a mentor/professor to help you write and submit one (clarifies the second quote)! I needed to add the fact that the parents are willing to affirm that I was officially hired because this is a private tutoring service offered by me and only me. I am not affiliated with any service, so an official confirmation that I was hired by them (and compensated) is needed to make this an EC and not just a hobby. I was rightfully hired and paid (and I filed taxes), so I don't see a problem. The fact that their son and I became friends in the process is irrelevant. Try spending 5 years with someone and not get somewhat attached to them.

Any more questions.....? Just because you can't believe that something is possible doesn't make it impossible for someone else. By the way, what do you have to gain for trying to disprove someone of something? It doesn't make sense.

In the OP's defense, I met a ton of amazing people on the interview trail, to the extent that I'm surprised I got offers where I did. He also mentioned in a previous post that he was a lab manager, so it's entirely possible that he is conducting experiments and mentoring. I would stay away from giving himself titles like 'PI', but beyond that, I don't know the OP, so I'm not going to call BS on him so confidently (*cough*).

Thanks for taking this with less salt:D. If it makes you feel better, I'll call myself the "main author" as opposed to "PI." Poor choice of words on my part I guess. :)

Thanks for your answer too.

I'd write about it in the personal statement. It sounds like you would talk about tutoring as an important experience, and elaborating with this example would make at the very least a really strong paragraph, maybe more, depending on how important tutoring was to helping you to decide "why medicine".

I wouldn't attempt to put down anythng like "guidance counselor" or "mentor" (let alone "PI"). When in doubt about giving yourself a title, lean toward under-stating, and then let the content of your experience and your reflections speak for themselves.

thanks for the answer! I wasn't really going to put those exact terms down in my application. I used those terms so that it sums up what I do. Imagine having to read a verbal description of everything I do instead of having to just read a single term and getting it immediately. I didn't want to write an essay here!! I actually want people to read this!!! Thanks again:D. Your opinion reaffirmed what I was probably going to do.