Is this for REAL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjkalmat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Somebody Posted this Note on another thread. I would like to know from DO students if this Manipulation can have such an ausome response.

"I have always gone to DOs since I was a kid. I even have a DO who is an otolaryngologist. Ok, this is why I stay with them (or why I now go to them). This past year I ended up clenching my teeth and having a sore right jaw, the tense muscles pulled the jaw out of alignment...major ouch. I also had back pain from my backpack (love those orgo books). Then I went on a hike and awoke the next morning to a swollen leg that was extremely painful to walk on (I was afraid I had a bloodclot). In one (count them one, uno, eins) 20 minute session, my DO fixed my jaw, my back and my leg (I had popped my ankle out of place on the hike). I ran down the stairs of his office immediately following the adjustment without pain and without any perscription drugs. That is why I go to a DO. MDs are not trained in skeletal manipulation. And once in a while, that is all it takes."

Members don't see this ad.

From what I gather, this COULD have happened. Every DO I have met says the same thing: "I never believed it, but manipulation works." I've even heard of a DO @ DMU who is working on using manipulation to help close sutures on an infants head. Don't underestimate the power of the healing touch.

Allopathic students are getting options to do slight manipulation in their coursework. I believe the class is titled differently (biomechanics, or something). Of course, I could be wrong there.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Even among DOs, there are questions as to whether or not cranial/sacral osteopathy really works. Closing sutures in a newborn's head? Are you kidding?

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited 10-30-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a dumb question...what is DMU?

DMU = Des Moines University

And as for the cranial sutures, I only heard that.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Come on...gimme a break! Closing an infants sutures w/ cranial manipulation??? First, think about it...WHY would you want to do that? They are not fused for a reason...TO LET THE CHILD'S BRAIN GROW AS HE/SHE DOES!! So, why would you want to prematurly close them???

And that above comment is from a second-year DO-student!

------------------
David W. Kelley, MS-2
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Whoops - that whole infant thing is getting out of hand. The way I HEARD it was as such: there was a doctor who was using manipulation to help close infants sutures that weren't closing properly. I just assumed everybody would know that there had to be something wrong in order for it to require manipulation. Just let me reiterate: it's something I HEARD.

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

...which simply illustrates why anecdotal evidence is usually second-rate at best.

Just some mental gymnastics: at what age do a child's cranial sutures close? Have fun with your Harrison's!

Hey, ever heard of Prozac? Let's see...
Prozac inhibits re-uptake of seratonin (something we can measure) and that is supposed to relieve depression, etc. However, there is no known mechanism for seratonin action on depression. Hmmm. So if it was shown to relieve depression (anecdotal evidence from patients!) and we prescribe it.... you can add it up. Apparently anecdotal evidence is a good enough substitute. All observations are myth until someone can explain them rationally. The question is, do they exist before they are explained? No, don't go chasing bigfoot. But don't dismiss everything just because someone hasn't figured out why it works. Hope this opens some doors out there.

Getting back to the original question... yeah for many, OMM can have drastic affects. That is if most of the dysfunction (problems) are of an acute nature. Chronic problems require, well, frequent treatments. But I would believe the story. As we all know that when you are really in pain, and something relieves it quickly you feel like you are floating on air... Even tho most procedures (even counterstrain) will bring about a lot of soreness in the treated area. In the story the person had temporal mandibular dysfunction, probably a few ribs "out" and some fascial and joint concerns with the leg (mostly acute)... OMT does work.

Although that response your friend claims seems "miraculous", to a D.O., patient of OMM or an osteopathic medical student it is commonplace. It is as normal as stating that a vicious pneumonia got better with a week's worth of Zithromax. THe thing is that unless you are familiar with OMM (which most people aren't) or a trained in it (which M.D.s aren't) it seems impossible to believe. But there is no great mystery to its method. You relax muscles, move joints, re-establish circulation and thereby affect biomechanics.It is just one tool in the ammarmentum of hte osteopathic physcian. It becomes less glamorous or mysterious when you actually learn it and when you learn other cool stuff in medicine like neonatology and ICU medicine. THe thing is, if you never learned it in medical school in the first place (as in MDs) then it is absolutely alien to you. And, since 90% of physcians in the US are MDs, then it is not widely known.