Is this good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skydancing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go:

3.6 Overall GPA, 3.4 Sci GPA
Attended top 10 college
31Q MCAT (11 P 11 B 9 V)
Honors in Major
Sigma Xi Research Honor Society

RI resident

Clinical Exp:
-2 summers working as a patient aide in nursing home
-1 year ER volunteer
-Family Physician shadowing

Research:
-1 year independent clinical research project
-2 years working in an ion channel lab
-1 semester cognitive science lab assistant

ECs:
-photographer, 3 years as photo club member
-2 years students for organ donation club member
-intramural sports

Other:
-3 years as an Alumni Weekend student staff leader
-1 year chem lab stockroom assistant

Plans for gap year:
-Research Assistant at Children's Hospital Boston

School List:
Albert Einstein
Brown
Dartmouth
Drexel
EVMS
Emory
Geo Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Loyola
NYMC
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Temple
Vermont
Connecticut
Wake Forest

Any feedback is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you're good to go! Good stats and good range of schools. Unless you attend Brown for undergrad, I'd be wary of applying there since most of their students come through their 8-year undergrad/med program.

Best of luck!

Looking very good!

Make sure you have a stellar PS. Get that edited like crazy before hitting the submit button.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you're good to go! Good stats and good range of schools. Unless you attend Brown for undergrad, I'd be wary of applying there since most of their students come through their 8-year undergrad/med program.

Best of luck!

I would disagree. Since most of the class is from the 8-year program, they are looking to diversify. I don't think that being from Brown but not being in the 8-year program is a huge advantage. I think the main thing to note is that bc of the 8-year program, there are just few spots period.

I am a Rhode Island resident, and I heard from their admissions office that they like to see in-state people apply to their program. So maybe that will work out in my favor.

Also, about 60 students in each class are PLME, while 35 are regular admits. I know the chances are bad because of this, but I figured it would be worth applying anyway.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out (more). I am feeling iffy about applying to GW or Georgetown, since they get so many applications anyway. Should I replace them with something else? I was thinking maybe Rochester and Albany? What about VCU or SUNY Downstate?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out (more). I am feeling iffy about applying to GW or Georgetown, since they get so many applications anyway. Should I replace them with something else? I was thinking maybe Rochester and Albany? What about VCU or SUNY Downstate?

Thanks!
you have a better shot there than brown or emory..those other 4 could be good places.

the problem with some of the schools on your list is that they get A LOT of applicants. you may be fine at most of them, but realize you'll be competing with like 10,000 others at schools like George Washington and Georgetown

the problem with some of the schools on your list is that they get A LOT of applicants. you may be fine at most of them, but realize you'll be competing with like 10,000 others at schools like George Washington and Georgetown

That's what I'm thinking. Can you suggest some schools to replace GW or Geo Wash?

I think you have a great chance at Connecticut due to your location, I'm not sure if you necessarily should take any schools off. I think you've got a good shot, just maybe not at those schools.

have you considered the Mass schools like Tufts and Boston?

I think you have a great chance at Connecticut due to your location, I'm not sure if you necessarily should take any schools off. I think you've got a good shot, just maybe not at those schools.

have you considered the Mass schools like Tufts and Boston?

Oh, jeez. I completely forgot to list those schools on my original post. But yes, I am applying to both of those :)

Hey guys - how does this updated list of schools look?

Albert Einstein
BU
Brown
Dartmouth
Drexel
EVMS
Emory (a girl can dream, right?)
Jefferson
Loyola
NYMC
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin