Is this insane, or should I actually consider doing this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schooltill30

Doctor Acula
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the past few weeks, as Calc-based physics threatens to completely and utterly destroy any vestiges of hope and optimism I had about my scientific ability, the same thought kept going through my head, over and over again, like a broken record player.

If I just stayed with a career in IT, I could be done in a year from now, with a degree, and a decent paying full-time job.

Instead, I'm sitting in Physics, utterly terrified of the next 8-10 years of my life, living with constant stress, and next to nothing income. I mean, just look at the stakes of this physics course. If for some reason I screw it up, I'll be a full year behind (I would need a fall and spring to finish the sequence).

So I started thinking hard. I know I want to be in medicine. I fought that epic war in my head a year ago. I won't go through the reasons now, but they're good ones. Dropping the whole career is definitely not what I want to do. A I mulled over this for a while, a different idea came up. What if I took the next year off from premed, and completely focused on my IT degree. I could conceivably finish by May (maybe a course or two that summer). Then I could be working while I finish my premed prereq's.

Now, before you all go off on how hard it is to juggle work and school, let me qualify my statement. What I'm doing now is juggling 18-21 credits each semester trying to finish a BBA and finish premed on time. Instead I'll be juggling a job with a few hours a week of science, and finishing just a little bit later. I accomplish two things this way. First, I'd be making money. This is important to me. I plan on starting a family, and I don't want that to be when I'm 30. Money is important, and if for some reason, medical school has to be pushed off, I'll have a job already. I also become independent, which is also important to me, as my parents have my five younger siblings to support. Depending on them isn't very comfortable for me.

Another reason to do this is that I'm looking to leave Memphis (where I live). All of my friends left already, and as far as a social life goes, this town is a ghost town for me. If I end up post-baccing (yes, I made that a verb), I don't have to worry about the effects of transferring while in the middle of a degree program (never a good idea. tried it once, and it was ugly). I can go anywhere, as long as it's reputable, to finish premed.

Yet another reason, not the best reason though, is that I think it makes me look like a more interesting person to the ADCOMs. I'd be working in a different field for a while, and that means variety in their eyes. That could be totally of the mark, I'm just guessing.

The downsides aren't so much from what I can see. It might be a little difficult to juggle work and school, but you have to realize (and maybe the poeple who actually do this can back me up here) that work stays at work. If you have 6 hours of work, you don't get homework (at least not in a good job). So 6 hours of class could mean a lot more in reality than 6 hours a day of work.

It's very possible that once I get into the IT world and I start making money and "settling down," that my medicine dreams will evaporate. I can definitely see how that could happen. Life gets in the way of many dreams, unfortunately.

Well, that's my general flow of thought on the idea. PLEASE give me some advice here. If there's anything I'm missing here, please let me know. I don't want to make this kind of decisions without knowing as much as I can.

PS Any comments about how you take 4 sciences and aced them all, and that if I can't do that I may as well drop all preconceived notions of success in life, will not help me.

Members don't see this ad.

One thought totally aside form the overall question in your post -- why are you taking calc-based physics? You know you don't have to do that for med school, right? If it's really hard at your school or causing you a lot of stress/difficulty, I'd vote for dropping it and switching to algebra-based physics.

My second thought is that maybe you should get the IT degree and work and then see how you feel. You seem to be questioning whether or not you want the med school thing at the expense of time, lost youth, lost friends, etc, so I'd vote for doing what you can to step back and give yourself some thinking space.

The moving thing is a little more complicated because one of the best advantages any medical school applicant has is a friendly state school. If you move, you want to move somewhere long enough to establish residency wherever you move before applying. Otherwise you could wind up with no state school, which really sucks. Also, don't move to Massachusetts because they make you live and work there for 5 years before getting residency!!

One thought totally aside form the overall question in your post -- why are you taking calc-based physics? You know you don't have to do that for med school, right? If it's really hard at your school or causing you a lot of stress/difficulty, I'd vote for dropping it and switching to algebra-based physics.

I was told that if I am good at and enjoy calculus (I do), then calc-physics would actually be easier. While that may be true, I have yet to encounter any important calculus halfway through the course. so now it's just trig-based, but a lot harder. Its too late to drop, and to switch.

But, and I think you realize this, that's just the catalyst to my idea, it's not the actual reason for doing it. Thanks for your input, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that if I am good at and enjoy calculus (I do), then calc-physics would actually be easier. While that may be true, I have yet to encounter any important calculus halfway through the course. so now it's just trig-based, but a lot harder. Its too late to drop, and to switch.

But, and I think you realize this, that's just the catalyst to my idea, it's not the actual reason for doing it. Thanks for your input, though.

I took cal based physics b/c I thought the med schools would be more impressed by it. Well, I am a *******. They aren't. I struggled with it too, but put all my effort into it that I could and did well. I would say that taking cal based physics helped me with the the physics portion of the MCAT.

Don't give up if medicine is your dream. I know it sucks, but the things we come to appreciate the most are those that we worked the hardest for. :luck:

Don't give up if medicine is your dream. I know it sucks, but the things we come to appreciate the most are those that we worked the hardest for. :luck:

I'm not giving up. I have wayyy too much invested (monetarily, physically, emotionally, and psychologically) in medicine to just let it go. I'm just wondering if graduating, and not finishing prereqs as part of a degree program is a good or bad idea. That, and is working while taking sciences harder than I'm imagining it to be.

What exactly would you do in "IT?" Are you a comp sci major? I would have thought they would require calc-based physics, at least a semester's worth. In that case, regardless of med school, you'd need to take it anyway. I'm assuming your school doesn't require it from the tone of your post, though.

As for the use of calculus in "calc-based physics," yeah it's pretty much BS. A little differentiation, a little integration, but for the most part it's plug and chug with some little algebraic manipulations.

What exactly would you do in "IT?" Are you a comp sci major? I would have thought they would require calc-based physics, at least a semester's worth. In that case, regardless of med school, you'd need to take it anyway. I'm assuming your school doesn't require it from the tone of your post, though.

As for the use of calculus in "calc-based physics," yeah it's pretty much BS. A little differentiation, a little integration, but for the most part it's plug and chug with some little algebraic manipulations.

No, I'm actually an MIS major. It's a business major, so they don't require more than a sequence of basic science. Which is why I could finish in a year. Most of the coursework is pretty much brainless compared to the sciences.

My suggestion is don't switch back to IT. Extend your college experience another year and get a health care related job. That way you can enjoy yourself, get good grades, make money, and get health care experience.

My suggestion is don't switch back to IT. Extend your college experience another year and get a health care related job. That way you can enjoy yourself, get good grades, make money, and get health care experience.

I think you misunderstand where I stand now. I'm already doing an MIS degree alongside premed (MIS was first). My choice is rush that degree and get a job, doing sciences as I work, or keep up the pace with the sciences and finish both MIS and premed at the same time.

Your decision sounds almost identical to the one I faced years ago when I was in college. The only difference is that I was a bio major and wasn't moving anywhere.

But in the end I did graduate with my biology degree. I went straight into IT where I have been since then. I am now in the middle of getting an MBA in MIS (a long 4 year journey so far) while prepping for the MCAT.

I don't know what to tell you, other than it's doable if you want to. IT can make you decent money, depending on what you do and who you do it for. But it's by no means the panacea of wealth, at least not for most of us. I enjoy IT. Problem is, there's only one thing I want more and that's to be a doc. So off to med school I go.

Just be aware that most IT people that I know, including myself, have to be on-call. That can range anywhere from a lot of calls everynight to only a handful of calls during your rotation. But it does mean extra hours (which blows if you're salaried like I am) and inconvenience. But I suppose that's just prepping us for medicine, huh?

Your plan was my plan, but it turns out it all took longer than I thought. I've got a family too, a house to look after, and all that. That's why my 2 year program has taken me over 4 yrs to complete -- taking classes in the evenings while working full-time can suck hardcare, especially with a spouse and children at home. But it may be a little easier for you since, well, you're male. Since I'm female I had to take off a few semesters surround the birth of my daughter, and such, so it hasn't been easy.

I'm not really sure what else to address. But if you have any other specific questions about IT and pre-med, PM me and i'll be more than happy to offer any advice I may have.

I don't want to be a 'downer' in this thread, but juggling pre-med and anything else is simply spreading yourself too thin. I tried to major in Economics and complete all my pre-med reqs, and it resulted in so much work that I couldn't fully dedicate myself to either subject, and I went back to Bio to fully focus on science courses.
Here is the problem with your plan: First, I think that 'in theory' what you want to do sounds great. Finish college, start working, and in your spare time complete your pre-reqs. You could focus all your academic skills on your pre-med classes and will have much more time than trying to do it while still in college.
However, in my opinion (disclaimer ...), you will probably start working, get wrapped up in your career, and end up being busy and never actually get around to completeing your courses and applying. So, if you think working while finishing your pre-reqs is something you can do, then ignore my disclaimer (what do I know anyway right? I really don't know you :D) and work while finishing you classes. I can tell you first hand that trying to do both while in college is just a lot, and if you can do this; it is the better route.

However, in my opinion (disclaimer ...), you will probably start working, get wrapped up in your career, and end up being busy and never actually get around to completeing your courses and applying. So, if you think working while finishing your pre-reqs is something you can do, then ignore my disclaimer (what do I know anyway right? I really don't know you :D) and work while finishing you classes. I can tell you first hand that trying to do both while in college is just a lot, and if you can do this; it is the better route.

That's my biggest worry right there in bold. The only thing I can say is that IT, raising a family, and being busy in general is something I want to be doing. Just not as much as medicine. It's not that I'm "settling" for IT. I love IT. I'm not going to go into the ins and outs of why I wan medicine more, but the truth is, if IT become something that can replace my goals for medicine, at least temporarily, that's not the end of the world. Also, family comes before anything. If I can't figure out a way to work medicine around a family (plenty do, I'm just talking worst-case here), then out goes medicine.

I took cal based physics b/c I thought the med schools would be more impressed by it. Well, I am a *******. They aren't. I struggled with it too, but put all my effort into it that I could and did well. I would say that taking cal based physics helped me with the the physics portion of the MCAT.

Thank you, while this advice was not intended for me, I'm snatching it anyway. :)

OP: You've got some serious decisions to make, I wish you the best, just follow your heart. GL:luck:

Do you really feel the way you feel?

...sorry.

I would recommend that you concentrate on your physics class first, as you will need to get good grades for medical school. See your professor or TA during their office hours if you need help with the material. Do not be too proud or simply afraid to ask for help.

Make a list of your priorities in your free time. You may have to make some sacrifices, sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day for you to perform at your best level in everything you wish you could. Some questions you might want to ask yourself:
"Is medicine what I really want to do?"- You say that starting a family by the time you are 30 is important to you, yet medicine is a career that will require a lot of your time. This also raises the question of if starting a family by the time you are 30 is absolutely necessary. Why the focus on 30? There are people who start families in their early 20's, and there are people who start families in their mid-30's. Is having your own family by the time you're 30 an absolute necessity?
"Is leaving Memphis really that important?"- You said that you wanted to leave Memphis because it was a damper on your social life. If going into medicine is really your dream, then wouldn't you say that two years of a dampened social life is worth fulfilling your dream?
etc.

Every person will doubt themselves at some point in their life. Don't doubt yourself, you've made this far haven't you? Focus on your accomplishments, on what lies ahead, and what you hope to accomplish. What are your goals, and how can you accomplish them? There are always hurdles in life, but by analyzing the situation, setting out a plan, and relying on your friends and family for their love and support, any hurdle can be overcome. Best of luck in your future pursuits, :luck:.