Is this institutional infraction going to ruin my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kvrtikapa

Reaction score
Hello, I am a freshman on the premed track. Our school requires us to test at least twice a week, but living in the dorms, I had to test every other day. I missed two tests (4 days in total) because I was sick and had two exams on the other day. I didn’t leave my dorm and wasn’t contagious during this time because I had COVID antibodies. My school gave me a conduct probation (basically a suspension) until my junior year for this. Obviously, I seriously regret not testing and understand it was completely irresponsible for me to miss those tests. I’m really worried this mistake will cause me to not be accepted into medical school. Any advice for what I can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I am a freshman at the University of Illinois on the premed track. Our school requires us to test at least twice a week, but living in the dorms, I had to test every other day. I missed two tests (4 days in total) because I was sick and had two exams on the other day. I didn’t leave my dorm and wasn’t contagious during this time because I had COVID antibodies. My school gave me a conduct probation (basically a suspension) until my junior year for this. Obviously, I seriously regret not testing and understand it was completely irresponsible for me to miss those tests. I’m really worried this mistake will cause me to not be accepted into medical school. Any advice for what I can do?
A 2 year conduct probation for 4 days of testing non-compliance? This pandemic is no joke, and you absolutely should have gotten tested, but that's quite extreme.

Reactions: 6 users
Yes, this will look bad and may need several years to “recover” from this. Appeal (which will likely won’t work). If you think their actions were not justifiable and have the money, sue them.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like overkill, but something stands out:

I missed two tests (4 days in total) because I was sick and had two exams on the other day.

Being sick is understandable, but using exams as an excuse will NOT fly. You own this.

In the end, you should be fine.

Yes, this will look bad and may need several years to “recover” from this. Appeal (which will likely won’t work). If you think their actions were not justifiable and have the money, sue them.
No. They’ll be fine as long as they own it, learn from it, and don’t mess up again.

This is not the first I’ve heard of punishments for testing compliance. I imagine quite a few applicants will have them. What will distinguish the ones who succeed from the ones who fail will be owning it vs making excuses for it, respectively.

by test, i assume you mean covid?
and you missed one because you were sick?
exactly the situation in which you SHOULD get tested?

Reactions: 3 users
A 2 year conduct probation for 4 days of testing non-compliance? This pandemic is no joke, and you absolutely should have gotten tested, but that's quite extreme.
I agree!! I love that my university has testing in place, but it seems to be sort of inconsistent with its
by test, i assume you mean covid?
and you missed one because you were sick?
exactly the situation in which you SHOULD get tested?
It was one month after I had already tested postive. I did not have COVID again.

Hello, I am a freshman on the premed track. Our school requires us to test at least twice a week, but living in the dorms, I had to test every other day. I missed two tests (4 days in total) because I was sick and had two exams on the other day. I didn’t leave my dorm and wasn’t contagious during this time because I had COVID antibodies. My school gave me a conduct probation (basically a suspension) until my junior year for this. Obviously, I seriously regret not testing and understand it was completely irresponsible for me to miss those tests. I’m really worried this mistake will cause me to not be accepted into medical school. Any advice for what I can do?
Not really how having COVID antibodies works--don't even bring this argument up in an appeal and definitely not on a medical school application. It makes it sound like you think you know better than the admin and don't have to follow the rules.

Why did you not tell someone you were sick and couldn't get tested? Same with the exam. You will have to answer that question during an appeal and on AMCAS/secondaries.

Finally, are you suspended or on probation until junior year? Because "suspension" means you cannot be on campus at most schools, and definitely not taking classes.

I'm curious as to what some of the Adcoms think. @LizzyM @Moko
This by itself will not prevent an otherwise competitive applicant from being accepted at my school. However, if there were multiple conduct violations, that would be a different story. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users