Is this normal 4th year OMM curriculum??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hungryhungryhippos

Reaction score
Hey Y'all! Hoping to learn what other DO programs expect for their students for 4th year. I attend a newer DO program and they just announced what the 4th year expectations are for OMM. It feels unusually invovled and distracts from audition rotations and Sub-Is, but maybe my classmates and I are just being babies lol. Here's an outline of what is expected of us. Leaving out some details to keep anonymity.

1. Mandatory OMM labs (in person or virtual) for two hours each month. If we are virtual we need to have another person present to practice OMM on. Attendance will be taken randomly and if you don't have camera on and actively participating you won't get credit. They will allow you to miss one lab for the entire year.
2. Monthly patient log for OMM practice. Admittedly, this isn't that big of deal. 3 logs a month. Can be nurses/residents/students, doesn't have to be patients, but we should be seeking out patient opportunities
3. Monthly assignment writing up treatment plans for presentations you might see on your rotations.
4. Monthly reading assignment and respond with a short answer of what you learned.

Anyways, we have no idea what is "normal" for 4th year curriculum. A lot of my classmates have concerns about asking our residents/attendings to leave early for a lab and afraid of looking unprofessional or not passionate for that rotation (maybe sub-Is and auditions dont think its that big of a deal, so maybe its not that big of a problem). Also, on these away rotations, most of us are going to be airbnbing alone. Who are we supposed to find for these labs? Of course we can ask the other people are working with, but then we would be inconveniencing them and interrupting their work. The rest of the assignments seem like a bunch of busy work, which is whatever. I would rather we have a monthly omm quizz or module that we can view on our time off.

Maybe I need to adjust my expectations for 4th year. I was hoping I could fully throw myself into these auditions and sub-is without worrying about some busy work from my home school. I would love to hear what other DO programs require from their students during 4th year!

Also I should add, they posted these assignments a month before the first due date, so some people wont be able to make the first mandatory lab because of other scheduling conflicts...

Members don't see this ad.

They will make an A.T. Still believer out of you yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
From what I can tell we basically just have to submit one presentation or do a write up after attending some course or conference each semester. This is down from what we had to do last year, and I'm wondering if your school is increasing requirements in fourth year compared to third year despite the logistics being significantly different given aways and interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s a little bit more than we had to do but not by much

One last effort to make sure you never donate to the school after graduation lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The practicing on a person virtually is the dumb part during auditions. On auditions, you let the attending know first day of the month that you have a meeting with your school on X day at X time. This happens and we are fine with it. 2 hours in a month isn’t a big deal. Just inform them at the beginning of the rotation not day of.

As for practice partner… buy a bum a bottle of vodka to participate? Tongue in cheek because that is a stupid requirement. What I would recommend is reaching out to your classmates that might be auditioning in the same city at the same time (even if a different specialty) and do the zoom call together.

Reactions: 1 users
Your school's requirements are not ideal. We had one month of an OMM rotation 4th year and would supervise the OMM labs for the 1st and 2nd years one day per week during this rotation.

All I had to do was submit a form signed by a DO preceptor saying I had evaluated & treated a “patient” (could be a classmate) using OMM.