Is this OT work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trinigal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked a question cause the other person knows I am doing the prereqs for OT.

A man, early 40s, has been diagnosed with loss of periferal vision, and has a very visually intensive job.

So his wife asked me if an OT would be able to assess and provide possible retraining options...

Doesn't sound like ADL... maybe its a speciality.

Can anyone advise ?

Members don't see this ad.

OTs work with people who have low vision issues, as well as other visual deficits. Also with people who have occiptital lobe damage. I know in our neuro sceince course we go over the occiptal nerve and visual fields in depth as well as deficits. We have not gotten into treatments for visual problems yet, I think that will come next semester. But it is definitely something that OTs work with. It would be under client factors, body structures in the OT practice framework. If you are serious about OT school you can find the OTPF online for free. Most OT school go pretty in depth with it, well at least in texas...

By the time I qualify it would be too late, I was sort of asking to decide if I should tell his wife to ask the doctor for a referal... but that would alert his employer which I understand he doesn't want to do as yet.

I'll suppose I will try and find out, except I observed at a geriatric and pediatric practices... will have to find out who he can go to in the area, but it is unlikely that they will take him without a referal