Is this Program Closing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RonnieFP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I have been getting strange answers from residents in the program, and from people in other programs, I am throwing this question out here: Is there a way to find out if a program is closing because of ACGME actions or for that matter, ANY reasons?

A program I have applied for is apparently having problems, big ones. Residents at the program are obviously unhappy, and a lot of negative things (most of which I do not know full details on) have happened in the past year. I had a conversation with a faculty member from another program in Phoenix who implied that this program is rumored to be closing, and that's what sparked this query.

How do I go about finding out the truth without seeming like a trouble-maker? This program has a great curriculum and it's one of the only unopposed FP programs in Phoenix (definitely the strongest), and frankly at this point it's near the top of my list. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

First, if the residents are notably unhappy it probably shouldnt be at the top of your list. Second, you can find out if programs are on probation, and some places publicize hospital financial issues, but it would be tough to ascertain whether there is any internal discussion of closings beyond rumor and speculation. Third, if they are recruiting, they don't know for sure they are closing -- it's a big cost and time drain to go through if you are already sure the program is going defunct.

Not sure why you would even consider a program where you know/believe the residents to be unhappy. After all, this is FM not Surgery.

Besides, the only good thing about that program is that the speed limit was recently raised in front of the hospital so you can get the hell out of that neighborhood ASAP.

Do not rank this program highly if the residents are visibly unhappy.
They WILL make you miserable.
If there is 1 unhappy resident it might be a problem of that 1 person.
But multiple ppl visibly unhappy is a big fat red flag.
Have you no other options?