• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Is this project realistic

Mindyaown

Dec 29, 2019
  1. Medical Student
Hey everyone,

I had the idea of conducting research on a specific group of medical students. I was hoping to send out a survey to potentially all DO schools (& maybe MD) but I dont know if that is a realistic goal. I have never conducted research myself and just want to obtain data on how many medical students identify as X / family income range. Do you guys think it would actually be possible to contact most if not all DO schools? Do you think DO schools would be willing to send the survey out to their students? I don't have a mentor within medicine so I am looking for some guidance. Thanks guys. & Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Shade1111

2+ Year Member
May 30, 2018
Hi there. I'm an incoming first year medical student so my opinion may not hold as much weight as some of the other wonderful mentors on here, but I just wanted to let you know that this is actually a great question. I completed my MPH during a gap year and have had some research experience, as I designed, implemented, and completed an independent research project. You have a great goal of collecting important information pertaining to medical students, which I'm sure you will be using to answer some research questions you have come up with.

I think the first step in this would be to start on a smaller scale to get your feet wet. Find a mentor at your school or a close-by school that does survey-based or community-based research. Maybe try to run this experiment with just your medical school and a couple others in the region to make sure you really understand your research process. After you have this preliminary data and have possibly gotten a paper published on this study, it may be easier to recruit more schools or organizations on a wider scale. Your job as a researcher is to take this data and show how it affects the health or current understanding of your population of interest, which is medical students in this case.

Research definitely is not easy and takes a great deal of time/effort. However, it is a skill that can be improved on with practice and repetition. Your idea is absolutely realistic if you are able to show how this data will contribute to the health and/or understanding of a population. After you are able to frame the utility of your research appropriately and find a mentor in the field, just grind until you make it. I hope this helps somewhat and would be happy to answer any research related questions that you may have (ex. how to prepare an IRB proposal, study design, importance of ethics, methods of statistical analysis). Best of luck with this great endeavor!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.