is this really true ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulM.D.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I talked to a Admissions Office secretary from the SUNY UB school of Medicine concerning which dean I can address my loi to, but she simply told me that it wouldn't help my case since the adcom only reviews candidates' files twice (once after the interview,and once after a week had passed). She told me that sending new grades also wouldn't help my status as well. Has anyone faced this weird situation before? This is the only school I believe where updates don't matter after the interview...... :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

hopefulM.D. said:
I talked to a Admissions Office secretary from the SUNY UB school of Medicine concerning which dean I can address my loi to, but she simply told me that it wouldn't help my case since the adcom only reviews candidates' files twice (once after the interview,and once after a week had passed). She told me that sending new grades also wouldn't help my status as well. Has anyone faced this weird situation before? This is the only school I believe where updates don't matter after the interview...... :eek:

I don't know but I don't think the secretary in the admissions office is going to lie to you.

hopefulM.D. said:
While I don't know anything about SUNY UB, I am waitlisted at a school that after reviewing you and putting you on the waitlist, only you score from the review will be used in determining waitlist movement. So updates, letters, etc. are worthless there as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, sending an LOI to schools that have a ranked waitlist is marginally useful at best and completely useless at worst. UB from what I understand is like the school YzIa mentioned - you're given a score after your interview and are ranked based on that score and that score alone, which I don't think is affected by LOI's and updates but who knows? I say send it anyway, you've got nothing to lose but time and 37 cents. You never know.

when i spoke with mr rosso a while ago [circa early march?] he said that they dont discourage people from writing lois, but that it holds no weight with your position on the waitlist. i know some schools find it important but ub gives you a score and thats pretty much it until you number comes up. that said, i did write a letter of interest just to have it on my file, ya know? leave no stone unturned....

and i wrote mine to dr severin

Kazema said:
I say send it anyway, you've got nothing to lose but time and 37 cents. You never know.
Thats exactly what I did even though admissions said it won't affect anything. If just for piece of mind I figured an update/letter or interest and a stamp was worth it.

YzIa said:
Thats exactly what I did even though admissions said it won't affect anything. If just for piece of mind I figured an update/letter or interest and a stamp was worth it.

Thanks for the advice

I've spoken to three schools that have said that very same thing . . . I send letters to all three. Just send it and you won't think what if . .

hopefulM.D. said:

I know nothing about the school you referenced, but have heard candidly from some other schools' adcom people that they get so inundated with paperwork during the admissions period that they are lucky just to get things into the correct files, let alone take the time to actually look at it (other than during the regular designated review process/meetings). Then again, unless the school actually requests that you don't send additional material in, you have nothing but a stamp to lose -- so I guess the LOI is worth a shot.

paceac said:
I don't know but I don't think the secretary in the admissions office is going to lie to you.

Yeah, bit you will never know unless you try!!! It wont hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!