is this sane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antidote

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if it's a sane thing to do or even possible to go and talk to an admissions dean about chances of acceptance to UCLA, for example.

I'm really doubting my chances at this point. I'm a physics major with a GPA of 3.1 ~3.2 and going down :( the school I go to is one of the toughest in the country (caltech tier) with no grade inflation, but I doubt dental schools care. And I havn't taken the DAT yet.

Members don't see this ad.

antidote said:
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if it's a sane thing to do or even possible to go and talk to an admissions dean about chances of acceptance to UCLA, for example.

I'm really doubting my chances at this point. I'm a physics major with a GPA of 3.1 ~3.2 and going down :( the school I go to is one of the toughest in the country (caltech tier) with no grade inflation, but I doubt dental schools care. And I havn't taken the DAT yet.

I couldn't tell you if it is sane or not, I need more of the story. What are your grades like in the science classes? A DAT score is very important, with no score and a lower (not horrible) GPA the admissions office couldn't tell you much.

Is UCLA the only school you are interested in?

Regardless how prestigous your school is, I think you need to work really hard on your DAT. 3.1 is kind of low for UCLA. Below are some numbers from class of 2007 for your reference:

. Overall GPA is 3.57
· Science GPA is 3.6
· Average DAT score of 22 Academic Average, 19 PAT, 22 Total Science
· 78 of 88 have a bachelor degree
· 3 have a master degree

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA's the school I'm most interested in, but certainly not the only place I'll apply to.

Are all science classes counted in the 'science GPA' (for example including quantum mechanics) or only those science classes that are requirements for admission?

thanks for the help!

all science classes go into the science gpa, while the prereqs go into a different breakdown called BCP (bio/chem/physics) gpa.

antidote said:
Hi everyone,

I think its perfectly sane to go and talk to someone in the admission's office. There's nothing wrong with inquiring about your chances/application. I bugged UofL for like a year before I applied...they were probably sick of me by the time the admissions cycle rolled around! :laugh:

But actually, it worked out, because the sweetest thing happened...about a month before I applied, I set up an appointment with a member of the admissions committee to discuss my grades, etc, and he ended up doing a mock interview with me. (By the way, this was also before I took my DAT). I had an interview there by August, and the same guy ended up being my real interviewer on the actual interview day! It was so chill, the whole interview was like a joke! :D

So, long story short, it never hurts to have people on the admissions commitee know your name and face before your actual file comes across their desk. It shows your level of commitment and dedication..and they respect that a lot. Best of luck! :luck:

Not too many people apply to dental schools with a physics degree, so you have a niche right there. Make sure to do well on the DAT and write an impressive personal statement. That will compensate for your GPA.

I don't think you should worry about your GPA. Just do your best now on the rest of the stuff that you have control over. And it is a good idea to talk to the schools that you are interested in. That will show that you are really enthusiastic about going there.

Good Luck.

I say call him/her up and ask away. Every appicant is unique, and who knows, maybe UCLA will recognize your program and school as being difficult and will be willing to be accomodating - you never know. For example, some programs that I thought I would be a shoe-in for I was either waitlisted or rejected by them while others that I swore I didn't even have a long shot at I was accepted to. Best of luck!