Is this small dip in GPA going to matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phyozo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm coming to the end of my 3rd year and I sent in my transcripts last week early because I didn't want to wait for spring grades. Currently, I am pulling a 3.87 overall and a 3.84 science. However, when I calculated my grades for the individual years, I realized that I only have 2 quarters worth of senior grades which amounts to a 3.6 overall and a 3.30 science. The last 2 quarters were kind of bad for me and in retrospect, I wonder if it would have been better to wait for spring grades. Regardless now, do you think the drop in senior grades when they do yearly breakdowns is going to amount to much if my overall is still fairly high?

Also, what is the process of sending updated transcripts. Should I even bother if it's going to be these grades that determine whether or not I'm even going to get an interview?

Sorry for the analness; I'm a cali resident trying to stay in cali. If it matters, my mcat is a 33Q.

Thanks for all your help! I'm slowly getting addicted to this forum...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that your cumulative now is 3.6 and 3.3 science and that once you're done, it will shoot up to 3.87 and 3.84? If so, definitely wait.

If you are saying you're getting 3.87 and 3.84 in this quarter ONLY, then I presume your GPAs won't go up that high. However, 3.3 in science is still low. I've got a 3.27 now and I'm waiting to get my A in Orgo I to make it go up to 3.37 before I submit my app. If your current quarter GPA will make any noticeable difference for your cumulative (0.05+), I'd wait.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that your cumulative now is 3.6 and 3.3 science and that once you're done, it will shoot up to 3.87 and 3.84? If so, definitely wait.

If you are saying you're getting 3.87 and 3.84 in this quarter ONLY, then I presume your GPAs won't go up that high. However, 3.3 in science is still low. I've got a 3.27 now and I'm waiting to get my A in Orgo I to make it go up to 3.37 before I submit my app. If your current quarter GPA will make any noticeable difference for your cumulative (0.05+), I'd wait.

I meant my overall GPA is 3.87 and science is 3.84. But when I do the breakdowns by year (frosh, soph, junior, senior), the senior GPA is 3.6 overall and 3.3 science; I'm concerned about the downward trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're being paranoid over nothing.