Is this the saddest WAMC? Any advice is greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johntera555

Reaction score
Hello guys, this might be the saddest WAMC and any advice is greatly appreciated

Date of submission: Plan on 6/15/23
Overall GPA: 3.2
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
NOT TAKEN YET, scheduled 6/30/23
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: UCR
Major: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200 hr between two dental offices
Volunteering Experience: 25 hr hours city litter pick up, 200 hr volunteer free clinic for dental
Employment: 4500+ hrs Dental assistant/Front desk, 400 hr research technician, 300 hr online tutor
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Peer mentor for pre-dental club.
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: 1 strong LOR from Dentist. Still waiting on 2 LOR from professors

So here it is. I am very ashamed because applications open very soon and I have a very empty application. What would you do if you were me? I love dentistry, I love assisting my dentist and talking to patients. I take x-rays all day. I am the suction god. But I've procrastinated this application for so long and I want to finally start.

My application is very very empty and I don't know how to fill it up. I feel like I didn't do much during my undergrad with also a low GPA. After graduating, I worked as an online tutor and then became a dental assistant for two years (2021-present). I am still waiting on my LOR's, haven't taken DAT yet but I have begun my studying. Low GPA, no research, no awards/honors. What should I do? Should I still commit and apply this cycle? Should I try a master's program? Please help this anxious man that wants to be a dentist.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys, this might be the saddest WAMC and any advice is greatly appreciated

Date of submission: Plan on 6/15/23
Overall GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 3.1
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.1
DAT score (include AA and all sections): NOT TAKEN YET, scheduled 6/30/23
State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: UCR
Major: Biology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200 hr between two dental offices
Volunteering Experience: 25 hr hours city litter pick up, 200 hr volunteer free clinic for dental
Employment: 4500+ hrs Dental assistant/Front desk, 400 hr research technician, 300 hr online tutor
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Peer mentor for pre-dental club.
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: 1 strong LOR from Dentist. Still waiting on 2 LOR from professors

So here it is. I am very ashamed because applications open very soon and I have a very empty application. What would you do if you were me? I love dentistry, I love assisting my dentist and talking to patients. I take x-rays all day. I am the suction god. But I've procrastinated this application for so long and I want to finally start.
it's not the saddest ever
take the DAT and then we can make suggestions

if you do well on the DAT, you have a chance...

What is making me really anxious is my DAT and LORs.

My DAT is scheduled mid July, and I am working full time as a dental assistant. I get about 5 hours of studying a day but I feel like it's not enough.
LORs might be weak. I haven't spoke to these professors in years, but I wrote them a nice email with my resume, transcript, and what I've been doing which contained some qualities about myself, a bit of my P.S. and why I love dentistry

I am wondering with this information, I plan on applying maybe late June, Julyish. The alternate plan is to look for post-bacc/masters programs and maybe apply for the next cycle.

Thank you for your advice it helps me greatly.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is making me really anxious is my DAT and LORs.

My DAT is scheduled mid July, and I am working full time as a dental assistant. I get about 5 hours of studying a day but I feel like it's not enough.
LORs might be weak. I haven't spoke to these professors in years, but I wrote them a nice email with my resume, transcript, and what I've been doing which contained some qualities about myself, a bit of my P.S. and why I love dentistry

I am wondering with this information, I plan on applying maybe late June, Julyish. The alternate plan is to look for post-bacc/masters programs and maybe apply for the next cycle.

Thank you for your advice it helps me greatly.
i would not recommend applying until after your dat
you need to spend all of your time on studying for the dat
if you do not get a good score, then you can go to plan b
reapplicants get held to a higher standard too
so best to hold off...

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have an upward trend or no? I go to uni's that throw out A's like candy. Not sure about yours, but GPA is becoming less relevant every year as more and more applicants get 4.0's because of grade inflation. Heck, one hard science class I go to pretty much 95% of the class has an A.

Fast forward 20 years, and the average dental matriculant GPA is probably going to be a 3.9.

My point is, if you can score well on the DAT, that probably means more than GPA these days. At least it should.

Reactions: 1 user