Is this the way of the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOsaintsfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am familiar with this health system and I'm not surprised by this move. That place (and the other hospitals they run) is a total s***show. Not sure it's going to be a trend nationally but will be interesting to watch.

It will be interesting to see how things progress with this group over time. As far as I can tell this is the first group of doctors that have formally unionized. I can only imagine what would happen if they ever decide to strike. Contract negotiations will be interesting as well. Any idea if Oregon is a right to work state?

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be interesting to see how things progress with this group over time. As far as I can tell this is the first group of doctors that have formally unionized. I can only imagine what would happen if they ever decide to strike. Contract negotiations will be interesting as well. Any idea if Oregon is a right to work state?
Are you high? Have you ever been out here?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you high? Have you ever been out here?

Ha! Never been there. The reason I asked is because it is my understanding that any future doc wishing to join that group will have to join the union.

With more docs across all specialities becoming hospital employees, it would seem that we should pay attention to what happens there.

I don't know about "unions" per se, but you need to bargain as a group or hospitals are going to bend you over and push it in one on one if you're an employee. If you're the only employed CV or Neurosurgeon you have a lot more leverage yourself but a single hospitalist?? Nah. Make sure you come at them as a group and make sure you're actually ready to walk if they think they are calling a bluff.

First three years out make sure you save up the F-U money.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know about "unions" per se, but you need to bargain as a group or hospitals are going to bend you over and push it in one on one if you're an employee. If you're the only employed CV or Neurosurgeon you have a lot more leverage yourself but a single hospitalist?? )

Agree with above. In this circumstance there is really no difference between a hospitalist "union" and a typical hospitalist group or partnership which collectively negotiates with a hospital (very common