gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I am familiar with this health system and I'm not surprised by this move. That place (and the other hospitals they run) is a total s***show. Not sure it's going to be a trend nationally but will be interesting to watch.

OP
NOsaintsfan

NOsaintsfan

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
Mississippi
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
It will be interesting to see how things progress with this group over time. As far as I can tell this is the first group of doctors that have formally unionized. I can only imagine what would happen if they ever decide to strike. Contract negotiations will be interesting as well. Any idea if Oregon is a right to work state?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
It will be interesting to see how things progress with this group over time. As far as I can tell this is the first group of doctors that have formally unionized. I can only imagine what would happen if they ever decide to strike. Contract negotiations will be interesting as well. Any idea if Oregon is a right to work state?
Are you high? Have you ever been out here?

Reactions: DermViser
OP
NOsaintsfan

NOsaintsfan

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
Mississippi
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Are you high? Have you ever been out here?
Ha! Never been there. The reason I asked is because it is my understanding that any future doc wishing to join that group will have to join the union.

With more docs across all specialities becoming hospital employees, it would seem that we should pay attention to what happens there.

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Last House on the Block, USA
Status
Attending Physician
I don't know about "unions" per se, but you need to bargain as a group or hospitals are going to bend you over and push it in one on one if you're an employee. If you're the only employed CV or Neurosurgeon you have a lot more leverage yourself but a single hospitalist?? Nah. Make sure you come at them as a group and make sure you're actually ready to walk if they think they are calling a bluff.

First three years out make sure you save up the F-U money.

DoctwoB

7+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know about "unions" per se, but you need to bargain as a group or hospitals are going to bend you over and push it in one on one if you're an employee. If you're the only employed CV or Neurosurgeon you have a lot more leverage yourself but a single hospitalist?? )
Agree with above. In this circumstance there is really no difference between a hospitalist "union" and a typical hospitalist group or partnership which collectively negotiates with a hospital (very common