Is this true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that going to a medical school in State X will give you a better chance to get residency in State X? If so, does this go for certain specialties? If not, why not?

:)

Members don't see this ad.

discus said:
Is it true that going to a medical school in State X will give you a better chance to get residency in State X? If so, does this go for certain specialties? If not, why not?

You are going to need to rephrase your question. Are you asking if going to medical school will help you get a position as a hospital resident locally, or are you talking about state residency (as in domicile)? Assuming the former, you are probably on the wrong board, but I suspect some schools take more of their homegrown talent, if only because the locals have an easier time ingratiating themselves with the decision makers.

discus said:

Technically residency directors are not supposed to reserve spots for people from their medical school or just in general, because that messes up the match system if there are fewer available spots than you report.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about being unclear. I mean if you go to a NY med school, do you have a better chance of attaining residency spots (i.e. orthopedics) in NY as opposed to a spot in Iowa, or is there really no in-state preference when it comes to obtaining residencies after med school?

discus said:
Sorry about being unclear. I mean if you go to a NY med school, do you have a better chance of attaining residency spots (i.e. orthopedics) in NY as opposed to a spot in Iowa, or is there really no in-state preference when it comes to obtaining residencies after med school?

There is regional preference in the same way that (private) medical schools might exhibit regional preference.
I don't believe there are any laws governing in state vs oos. However they are more likely to accept people from programs they are more familiar with.

Yes. You will be rotating through your home institution. You can also do an "away" at other places around to improve chances.

Just look at the match lists and you will see that many people match at their home institution.

BrettBatchelor said:
Just look at the match lists and you will see that many people match at their home institution.
But it's hard to distinguish between those who matched locally because the resident directors there gave them preference (directors decide) vs. those who matched locally because they already lived there, had established a family, were used to the area, aka wanted to stay there anyways (students decide).

dajimmers said:
But it's hard to distinguish between those who matched locally because the resident directors there gave them preference (directors decide) vs. those who matched locally because they already lived there, had established a family, were used to the area, aka wanted to stay there anyways (students decide).
Regardless of intent, the results speak for themselves.

The PD has seen your work on your rotation there which is a luxury other programs don't have.

I still stand by my statement in that your best chances to match in state is to go to a school in the region. Regional credibility is key.

Lots of people stay at home.

BrettBatchelor said:
Regardless of intent, the results speak for themselves.

The PD has seen your work on your rotation there which is a luxury other programs don't have.

I still stand by my statement in that your best chances to match in state is to go to a school in the region. Regional credibility is key.

Brett brings about a good point. Not everyone matches in their school/home state/regional area...but you haev a much better chance of matching there than those who don't have those qualities. Some choose other residencies for other reasons, buti would agree that if you go to School X, you have a better chance of doing residency at School X, than someone else who graduated from School Y (assuming you are both relatively equal)