Is this true?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inmyposhposh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The pre-med adviser from the undergrad I went to just sent out this e-mail.

"Biochemistry is now required for the MCAT. Anyone who plans to take the MCAT prior to July 2013 needs Biochemistry spring term. If you are no longer enrolled at ***** and need a Biochemistry course here is an online option that you can take online. For students going into other healthcare fields Biochemistry is the top course many schools are looking for."

Is this something to be looked into?

Members don't see this ad.

"Biochemistry is now required for the MCAT. Anyone who plans to take the MCAT prior to July 2013 needs Biochemistry spring term. If you are no longer enrolled at ***** and need a Biochemistry course here is an online option that you can take online. For students going into other healthcare fields Biochemistry is the top course many schools are looking for."

Is this something to be looked into?

No, but in 2015 and beyond you will need biochem + a lot of other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile.

Some schools have it as a prereq, but as for your advisor...Impressively incorrect.

Perhaps he was confused by the new trial section?

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem is going to be a big part of the new mcat. It would be wise to take it if you're planning to take the mcat in 2015. And on top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if more schools started requiring biochem. It would suck if it was your senior year and you just found out that a few of your schools you want to apply to require biochem, but now you don't have any room to fit it in and would have to pay up a few thousand just to take it later on. So if you plan on applying in the next few years and you have the option to take biochem, as long as you are able to handle it, I'd take it.

Some schools have it as a prereq, but as for your advisor...Impressively incorrect.

Perhaps he was confused by the new trial section?

I've always taken her words with a grain of salt. She told a couple of people I knew freshman year that they had no chance of getting into medical school after they got a C in gen chem first semester...they ended up switching their career plans after that.

The 2015 mcat will include a biochem section as well as some politics

You will not need it for 2013 lol maybe she intended it to go to freshmen who would all be taking it in 2015?

Nothing is required for the MCAT except $250 (or whatever it costs). However, though biochem will help you for the MCAT, it isn't directly tested (yet).

This may just be my personal experience, but I've found that most pre-health advisers have NO CLUE what they are talking about the majority of the time.

No, biochem is not required. But if you take the MCAT after Jan, 2015, it is highly recommended.

This may just be my personal experience, but I've found that most pre-health advisers have NO CLUE what they are talking about the majority of the time.

I'm beginning to wonder if pre-med advisers make contracts or at least have agreed upon some incentives to tell their kids that they have to be doing all these different kinds of things. The majority of the workshops she recommends seem like utter bull****, but if I was getting 5% off the top of every kid that enrolled in them I'd think about recommending them as well.