Is this unrealistic? courses/commute/work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Succubus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take Bio with Lab, Chem with Lab, English Comp 1, Math class, and a french class. I am considering to not take the french class, but the french class I do want to take as a "fun" class, and maybe get a minor in French. Anymore classes than this seems impossible to me....

All the classes would be freshman classes too. I go to college 4 times a week, 5 hrs (to and back) which is a big commute. I don't have a car, and there are no busses, so I have to go by bike for 2.5 hrs to get there

I might get a job for 20 hrs a week, no more than 25 hrs though.

I want a 3.8-4.0 GPA this semester.

--------

is this totally impossible to achieve you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to take Bio with Lab, Chem with Lab, English Comp 1, Math class, and a french class. I am considering to not take the french class, but the french class I do want to take as a "fun" class, and maybe get a minor in French.

All the classes would be freshman classes too. I go to college 4 times a week, 5 hrs (to and back) which is a big commute.

--------

Why the 5 hour commute? If you say because it's cheaper I'm going to reply with a gif.

I want to take Bio with Lab, Chem with Lab, English Comp 1, Math class, and a french class. I am considering to not take the french class, but the french class I do want to take as a "fun" class, and maybe get a minor in French.

All the classes would be freshman classes too. I go to college 4 times a week, 5 hrs (to and back) which is a big commute.

--------

You know yourself better than any of us, but to me that doesn't sound very enjoyable (commute + work + labs) and I think you might have trouble maintaining that 4.0 goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
2.5 hours JUST to get to college? Unless you have a family of your own settled in a nice area I don't know why you would ever do that.

I don't think you should work 25 hours a week either. That would leave just about zero time for ECs

2.5 hours JUST to get to college? Unless you have a family of your own settled in a nice area I don't know why you would ever do that.

I don't think you should work 25 hours a week either. That would leave just about zero time for ECs

I don't have a vehicle, and no busses. So I have to bike it. And I'm not going to spend the money I saved up, and get a car, either because I need that money for college tuition. It would be 2 hrs worth of commute in a car a day.

But it's practically too late to change colleges now (to move to a different area, where it's cheap/free), there's no way I can find a cheap place close to college in this area, and I don't want to wait a semester for next yr. That would put me back too far.

My rent is free, which is a reason why I decided to stay where I am at.

Hmm... thanks for the responses everyone.

I don't have a vehicle, and no busses. So I have to bike it. And I'm not going to spend the money I saved up, and get a car, either because I need that money for college tuition. It would be 2 hrs worth of commute in a car a day.

But it's practically too late to change colleges now (to move to a different area, where it's cheap/free), there's no way I can find a cheap place close to college in this area, and I don't want to wait a semester for next yr. That would put me back too far.

See you in med school. :thumbup:

Hope everything works out for you.

Time is the most valuable resource a person can have. You sure do like wasting yours.

To put it into perspective you're essentially wasting 1000+ hours a year just by biking that 5 hrs a day. Time is money.

I take 4-5 courses per semester, do several EC's, work 25 hours per week, and commute 1 hour to school from home and one hour to work from school almost every day by car, and I have a 3.7-3.8 overall GPA, which I'm not happy with (and you also seem to be aiming for higher). If I were bicycling 2.5 hours each way instead of driving...:eek: life/school/work/etc would be terrible...

You won't have to work out if you bike to school, 2 birds 1stone!

Btw, don't do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't mean to be that guy but if its 2.5 hours by bike how is it still 2 hours by car... unless its some traffic nightmare like l.a...

anyways i agree with above poster OP, this sounds insane. but you know you better than us, the decision is ultimately yours.

It's your decision either way, but I know if it were me and had no way of getting around and had to travel that far to get to school, I would look into getting a place on campus. For me, that 5 hours of commuting would be better spent studying or finding more time for working.

Last edited:
don't mean to be that guy but if its 2.5 hours by bike how is it still 2 hours by car... unless its some traffic nightmare like l.a...

anyways i agree with above poster OP, this sounds insane. but you know you better than us, the decision is ultimately yours.

Maybe he/she means that it's 1 hour each way by car.

Members don't see this ad :)
I drive 1 hour each way, 5 days a week; work 25 hours a week; and take 12-15 credits a semester and I think it sucks. I can't imagine commuting 2.5 hours each way.

I don't think it's possible to commute 2.5 hours one way.. even when my bus was a 20 minute ride including the wait i found it extremely annoying. What if you forget something at home and you need it right away? Or what if you're doing a group project and they all of a sudden need to meet to finish up something? Or what if it's pouring rain. Bottom line is that 2.5 hours of biking one way is just ridiculous. There's gotta be something you can do..

Wow OP, that sounds really rough. Is it unrealistic? Yes, to all but the most dedicated and intelligent student. I would recommend doing everything you can to reduce your work load, or find somewhere close to campus to live, even if you have to pay for it.

Wow. 17 credit hours + 20-25 hours week work + 20 hours per week commute? Good luck....

Also, as another poster noted, how will you fit ECs in?

Get a motorcycle...they're often pretty cheap (cuz a lot of people buy them and never use them), they cost less in gas, and you can find free parking ANYwhere!

Get a motorcycle...they're often pretty cheap (cuz a lot of people buy them and never use them), they cost less in gas, and you can find free parking ANYwhere!

Pretty good tip actually, That would probably cut the driving down to less than 1 hr both ways since 2.5 hours on a bike is ~30 miles

I agree with the motorcycle idea, sounds like it'd be very practical. I'm not sure I could bike two hours through the park let alone through traffic etc to school, but let me share my two cents. I'm a rising senior and since freshman year I've been commuting an hour each way to school, usually at school all 5 days a week with early morning classes as well as late night classes the majority of the week. This past year I worked around 20 hours/week while taking 18 credits in the fall and 15 credits in the spring and prepping for my April MCAT. Leaving the house at 6 AM and getting back at 10 PM most nights is def not fun lol but it is doable if you have the determination. I did fairly on my MCAT and got 4.0s both semesters this past year. This is how I see it: if you view commuting as a hindrance (which seems to be the part of your story most posters here see as most difficult), then it will become one. However, if you set your mind on accomplishing your target grades and scores etc, you'll be able to do that, as cliche as this sounds. There are people who have much more difficult problems than any of us can imagine and still make amazing grades and scores. You can do it if they can.

Find a nice old couple somewhere close to campus and see if you can rent their son's old bedroom for 300 bucks a month. A lot of retirees would jump at the chance to get some income.

I agree with the motorcycle idea, sounds like it'd be very practical. I'm not sure I could bike two hours through the park let alone through traffic etc to school, but let me share my two cents. I'm a rising senior and since freshman year I've been commuting an hour each way to school, usually at school all 5 days a week with early morning classes as well as late night classes the majority of the week. This past year I worked around 20 hours/week while taking 18 credits in the fall and 15 credits in the spring and prepping for my April MCAT. Leaving the house at 6 AM and getting back at 10 PM most nights is def not fun lol but it is doable if you have the determination. I did fairly on my MCAT and got 4.0s both semesters this past year. This is how I see it: if you view commuting as a hindrance (which seems to be the part of your story most posters here see as most difficult), then it will become one. However, if you set your mind on accomplishing your target grades and scores etc, you'll be able to do that, as cliche as this sounds. There are people who have much more difficult problems than any of us can imagine and still make amazing grades and scores. You can do it if they can.

Not to minimize your hardships but the OP is talking about a 5 hour commute a day compared to a 2 hour and the biggest thing of all at least in my opinion is that the OP is going to be dead tired bicycling 5 hours a day all week. Completely exhausted. At least in the car you can listen to lectures and relax.

Not to minimize your hardships but the OP is talking about a 5 hour commute a day compared to a 2 hour and the biggest thing of all at least in my opinion is that the OP is going to be dead tired bicycling 5 hours a day all week. Completely exhausted. At least in the car you can listen to lectures and relax.

My commute is not a hardship, as I expressed in my reply and as for the rest of your post, That's absolutely true. I said in the beginning that I couldn't bike half that long lol. However, the last part of what I said applies to everyone including OP. If he/she sees it as a hindrance, it will be. If they do not see it as a hindrance, it won't be. Also, we don't know OP's fitness level. For all we know, that much biking could be mad easy for him/her lol. Harder obstacles have been overcome successfully by normal people. If they could do it, OP could definitely do this. OP most colleges don't start for a couple more weeks. Why don't you take a week and try commuting there and back a couple of times? Maybe do some studying or reading in between to see how tired it makes you or if it does?

Personally I'd look into getting a job instead of spending 20hrs/wk commuting, even at $8/hr that's $640/month (say $550 after taxes) that would pay for a room in many places and you'd be getting work experience (clinical experience even) on top.

Personally I'd look into getting a job instead of spending 20hrs/wk commuting, even at $8/hr that's $640/month (say $550 after taxes) that would pay for a room in many places and you'd be getting work experience (clinical experience even) on top.

^most reasonable plan yet.

You could always ride hard those 5 hours and compete as a cyclist, using that as an EC. It does show a lot of conviction in your goals- if you're able to complete that task. When life gives lemons..

You could always ride hard those 5 hours and compete as a cyclist, using that as an EC. It does show a lot of conviction in your goals- if you're able to complete that task. When life gives lemons..

Someone who thinks like me. I love it!

Someone who thinks like me. I love it!

I do tend to think this way, but I'm also practical as well. I'm not so certain that lemons are the only fruit available. I doubt that this is the only way he could go to school/only school he can go to. More information is needed to give sound advice. If OP has enough conviction for him to do well in school no matter what- why take the most difficult route? Keep in mind OP is a freshman.

Only you can know if you can handle this. Last semester I commuted about 1.5 hrs round trip to college, worked around 15-25 hours per week, and was taking 19 credits. It was brutal, sometimes staying up till 3 or 4 to finish that lab report than waking up at 6 for said lab. Granted the job was not school related and the hours essentially took a huge chunk of my weekend, but there were hidden costs such as not being able to go to the Gym.

I'm not working at that job anymore, but still am commuting, which is a similar set up to fall semester last year. It's not totally bad, although living on campus has its perks

A little siad note but Gen Y seems to have some aversion to cars. There was an article in the local paper about this. Who needs a car to car to the movies or to the bowling ally when you could just chat on Facebook or Xbox Live? The article detailed how the car was the gateway to freedom, to your youth.

I'm guilty of this too: back in high school my mother pushed for me to get a license and I wasnt as enthusiastic as you would think. Before my freshman year I was lucky to get a car and you really do appreciate the freedom it gives you.

Like I said only you know what's possible. Don't let anyone limit you. But remember you only get one youth. Ask yourself this: 20 years from now will you like your decision?

I want to take Bio with Lab, Chem with Lab, English Comp 1, Math class, and a french class. I am considering to not take the french class, but the french class I do want to take as a "fun" class, and maybe get a minor in French. Anymore classes than this seems impossible to me....

All the classes would be freshman classes too. I go to college 4 times a week, 5 hrs (to and back) which is a big commute. I don't have a car, and there are no busses, so I have to go by bike for 2.5 hrs to get there

--------

commuting 5 hours back and forth by BIKE???

To be honest that's just too much.

Also the fact that you are working 20hrs is gonna make it even worse.

I tried commuting with a CAR 1.5 hrs back and forth every day and that was tough for me. I found a sublet near campus instead and it was so much better.

Also I did NOT even have to work.

I ended up with a 4.0 but honestly I don't think it's possible to get a 3.8 + with a schedule like yours. Unless of course you are a genius.

--------

So instead of getting a 5 hour/day job to pay for rent for an apartment thats 5 minutes away, you decide to bike 5 hours a day.

join the national guard. They'll pay for your classes so you can use your tuition money for an apartment plus you'll get a stipend every month so maybe you won't have to work 20 hours a week. Either that or the motorcycle idea. If you insist on commuting 5 hours make sure you can tape record lectures and listen to them on your ipod while you're cycling so its not a waste of 5 hours. Or try to organize your classes so that you only have to be on campus 3 days a week. Or make some friends/join a club/frat sorority that will have people who don't mind you sleeping over once or twice a week. My friend did that with me 2 times a week when I was in school so she didn't have to drive back and fourth. I really think there are multiple options here and you just aren't seeing them.

I commute ~3 hours a day 5 days per week (along with ECs and 20hrs/wk of work --not to mention 14-17 credits). It's pretty horrible, and I'm only doing it for one more semester. To answer your question, 5 hours a day would be even worse, and you should try and spare yourself the trouble. I kind of liked the motorcycle idea, as long as you live in a warm area.

--------

Nothing's impossible, but I'd say that's pretty close to it. You have to bike 2.5 hours just to get to school? AND 20-25 hr/week? God Bless you.
I'm not saying you can't do it. My parents had to walk miles back and forth just to go to school when they were young, so I know it's rough, but if it's want you want to do, do it. If there's no way to move closer so that your commute won't be as bad, I'd find a way. But props for wanting to do this. It'll be a great anecdote to write about come med school apps. If you do go on with this plan, it'll be rough, BUT, it'll be worth it. Hopefully it all works out for you. ;)

what about getting a moped or a neo/hipster motorcycle?

what about getting a moped or a neo/hipster motorcycle?

Moped would be a bad choice...those have a pretty low upper limit on speed, which makes them less useful than a motorcycle. They're also not allowed on highways.

Not sure what a neo/hipster motorcycle is, but if you just want a dirt cheap, easy to learn bike, try looking for a used 250cc bike (Rebel or something else small). A lot of training courses sell their used ones for almost nothing, so you could end up paying only $500 or so...those ones would be beat up and ugly, and wouldn't have much juice, but they'd still get you where you want to go. Just test it out...don't get it if the tranny's shot, but most other problems are ignorable.
There's a reason they're used in classes, too...a bike that small is easy to learn, because they're short and if you lose the balance a bit at a stop (which is the only place you WOULD lose balance) even girls have the upper body strength to jerk them upright without even thinking about it.

Brand new Rebels are only ~$4k, so a good quality used one should run you under $1k. All the bikes I've ridden get at least 40-50mpg, and that's for old, preused, 500-650cc models. Even my 1980 got about that for mileage. If you shop around, you can find used bikes for under $1k with very low mileage. If you want a comfortable commute, spend ~$1200-$1500 for a used Vulcan 500...they have the most comfortable stock seat of any of the smaller bikes, and their engine is the same as the 500 Ninja (a sport bike), so they're very comfortable at highway speeds. Suddenly, your commute is 1/3 as long, 3x as comfortable, and if you work as many extra hours as you saved on your commute, you can completely pay off the cost of bike and cover most of the gas in 1 semester, and still use it for future ones (assuming minimum wage, $1500 for bike, $200 for helmet, 40mi commute and $4.50 for gas. Spend less on the bike, and it would be slightly less comfortable, but you might not have to increase your work hours. Plus, you won't be exhausted from riding a bicycle everywhere.

Last edited: