Is This Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh ok.

anyway, him and obviously you were reading like i didnt know what i was talking about.

read correctly and i wouldnt have to type the way that i do.

And here I was thinking maybe, just maybe, you wouldn't devolve into immaturity this time. Clearly I was wrong. :rolleyes:

Here's an idea: since all of your threads turn into you complaining about how mean and stupid everyone on SDN is, how about you just stop posting? That way you'll stop getting advice you refuse to listen to and we can all stop rolling our eyes. Seriously, our faces are going to get stuck this way pretty soon!

Members don't see this ad.

anyway, him and obviously you were reading like i didnt know what i was talking about.

Well.

Point of order: You actually DON'T know what you're talking about.

You have:
1. No idea what working in the forensic science field is like.
2. No idea what working in veterinary medicine is like.
3. No idea what being a vet student is like.
4. No idea what being a vet tech is like.
5. No idea what being a tech tech student is like.

So remind me again how you know all about what you're talking about, and the advice from people who have been there 'n done that is all wrong?

i think you need to read better...

I think you need an English lesson. Here is your post:

i've been doing some reflecting and i think i want to start off as a vet tech first but still want to double major since employers will be looking more at graduates with bio or chem degrees. if my plan makes sense to you?

as ive just told emiloo, i think i want to start of as a vet tech but still want to double major since most employers will be looking more at graduates with bio or chem degrees.

Both of your above sentences indicate that you want to start off as a vet tech but still double major since most employers will be looking more at grads with bio or chem degrees. There is no mention in either sentence of forensic science and there is also no mention as to which employers you are referring to. Simple English grammar would suggest that you are meaning the vet tech job since that is what you were discussing. It is kind of like using a pronoun such as he or she in a sentence... if you are talking about Jane then suddenly switch to she, according to English grammar she is still Jane, not Debbie who has not been mentioned. The pronoun reflects the noun that proceeds it or the noun that has been the subject of the sentence. So when someone would read one of the above sentences (yes, I know these aren't pronouns) they would assume that you are referring to the vet tech job employers as looking at bio/chem degrees NOT the forensic science job that was not mentioned in either of these sentences. So, I don't think anyone here has a problem with reading, I think you have a problem with phrasing what you are trying to say.

Putting that aside, you have posted numerous times asking for advice and when people give you advice you don't like it or ignore it. It is very obvious from your posts that you have no damn idea what you want to do and that is fine. You are allowed to not know exactly what you want to do, there is nothing wrong with that. People are suggesting that you figure it out though. You need to explore those fields and witness what they are actually like. How can you be sure that you want to be a vet if you have never seen vet work? You said you switched to pre-vet in 2011... it is 2013 so it has been almost 2 years.. go get some experience. 2 years is a long time. Go shadow a vet and see what it is like. Experience frustrated clients yelling at you, cats attacking you, dogs pissing on you, saving lives, surgery, blood, crying clients, euthanasia, etc, etc. You don't even know what it is truly like to be a vet, so go check it out. Then decide if you still want to do it. I am going to be brutally honest with you... you won't make it in vet school right now with your grades and wishy-washy attitude. You won't make it when you can't humbly take simple advice from people who have been there and done that. Most of the people on this forum have dedicated many, many years to vet med. I have been working towards this goal for over 10 years and I know others who have been doing so just as long or longer. No, not everyone does that, there are those on here that decided on vet med only a few years ago, but they also worked their asses off to get into vet school.. they got the experience, pushed for the grades and made it. The problem is you aren't that dedicated to the goal of being a vet, you aren't sure what you want to do and that is going to be seen by adcoms. Please get some experience and figure it out. Also, if you still decide that vet med is what you want AFTER you get experience then you are in for some tough work. Your grades suck, sorry but that is the honest truth. You HAVE to do better, no choice allowed. You may even HAVE to do a master's or post-bac just to prove that you can get decent grades in higher level courses. It won't be impossible to get to vet school, but it will be extremely difficult.

The people here are not trying to be mean, they are being honest. If you don't like what they are saying, then don't ask for opinions. We are going to give honest opinions, you don't have to listen to them, but do NOT be a jerk to people when you don't agree with them, that is the quickest way to be sure that no one will take you seriously again. You want an honest opinion of "your plan" (not sure what that is at this point since it varies between vet tech and a double major): I think your plan is not very good. I think you need to get some experience first and decide if this path is right for you or not.

Members don't see this ad :)

read correctly and i wouldnt have to type the way that i do.

So, I don't think anyone here has a problem with reading, I think you have a problem with phrasing what you are trying to say.

What DVMD said. I took it the same way everyone else did - that you thought the double major would look better to employers at clinics. If 1 person misunderstands you, it could be them reading it incorrectly. If many people misunderstand you, the likely scenario is that you said it wrong.

I think you need an English lesson. Here is your post:

Both of your above sentences indicate that you want to start off as a vet tech but still double major since most employers will be looking more at grads with bio or chem degrees. There is no mention in either sentence of forensic science and there is also no mention as to which employers you are referring to. Simple English grammar would suggest that you are meaning the vet tech job since that is what you were discussing. It is kind of like using a pronoun such as he or she in a sentence... if you are talking about Jane then suddenly switch to she, according to English grammar she is still Jane, not Debbie who has not been mentioned. The pronoun reflects the noun that proceeds it or the noun that has been the subject of the sentence. So when someone would read one of the above sentences (yes, I know these aren't pronouns) they would assume that you are referring to the vet tech job employers as looking at bio/chem degrees NOT the forensic science job that was not mentioned in either of these sentences. So, I don't think anyone here has a problem with reading, I think you have a problem with phrasing what you are trying to say.

:thumbup::thumbup:
I would like to point out that in addition to the grades you need to get in, vet medicine (either as a DVM or tech) requires excellent communication skills. You have to accurately, succinctly, and compassionately convey complex medical information, including end of life choices, to clients with little to no medical training, who are often emotional at the time. You have to "sell" your preventative health services to clients who are unaccustomed to paying cash for medical services. You have to work with others in stressful and demanding situations, for long hours. Taking constructive criticisms is a key component of communication as well. You're not going to be good at this, or any of the other skills you'll need, right away. You need to be able to accept the criticism of those who know more than you and be better because if it.
Just to get through vet school you are evaluated on these skills, well at least we are at my school, in simulated client interactions. Plus, good communication skills are essential at not overly angering your classmates despite being stressed, tired, busy, and sometimes dirty.

:thumbup::thumbup:
I would like to point out that in addition to the grades you need to get in, vet medicine (either as a DVM or tech) requires excellent communication skills. You have to accurately, succinctly, and compassionately convey complex medical information, including end of life choices, to clients with little to no medical training, who are often emotional at the time. You have to "sell" your preventative health services to clients who are unaccustomed to paying cash for medical services. You have to work with others in stressful and demanding situations, for long hours. Taking constructive criticisms is a key component of communication as well. You're not going to be good at this, or any of the other skills you'll need, right away. You need to be able to accept the criticism of those who know more than you and be better because if it.
Just to get through vet school you are evaluated on these skills, well at least we are at my school, in simulated client interactions. Plus, good communication skills are essential at not overly angering your classmates despite being stressed, tired, busy, and sometimes dirty.

i understand; i do admit that i need to improve my communication skills. any advice on how to improve communication skills besides taking good constructive criticism?

also, sorry guys for not reading my post before submitting. i forgot to put forensic science in the sentence where employers and bio/chem degrees were being discussed.

i wanted to keep my biology major but double major in forensic science since a forensic major wont be good enough for forensic employers; they are looking at science majors. another reason i want to keep my bio degree is because it will have my pre-vet prereqs if i decide i want to pursue vet school once i work as a vet tech.

Many schools offer communication classes. Chances are you won't find many if any in the college of sciences; look for the speech or communication department in your school. It will be an extra elective, but communication is vital for any job and vet schools recommend communication courses.

I'm not so sure this double major then vet tech degree is the best plan. It seems to me that you just aren't entirely sure you know where you want to go, and at this point you cannot foresee yourself having all the answers anytime soon. Therefore, you want to major in this and that, get degree here, just so that a few years down the road the doors are still open and you can decide then. I've been in this situation before, so I can empathize, but I don't think its the wisest.Look at it this way, one major is two more years of schooling, a second major is probably another year of schooling, maybe more. Then you want two years of Vet-tech school. That's a lot of work and lot of money that might be spent more wisely.

I think you should take one of the those degrees and focus on it for a little while or even take a year off. Get some real world experience to you give you perspective on what you want. Then, you can take all those years of schooling and apply them in a way that will most benefit you. If you go into forensics, you could get a masters and be more competitive and possibly make more money than if you had a degree in everything else you mentioned. Of course you may decide you're in love with animals and veterinarians spend too much time researching diseases or dealing with animals passed out on the table.Then you could focus on becoming a vet tech or even a zoo keeper so you can be more hands on with animals.

The point is I think you need to own up to the fact that you don't know what it is you want. This really isn't that uncommon. It's scary and frustrating, but it's better to admit you need to figure things out than to scare yourself into choosing a path you'll regret later or waste your time and money on several degrees.

i understand; i do admit that i need to improve my communication skills. any advice on how to improve communication skills besides taking good constructive criticism?

also, sorry guys for not reading my post before submitting. i forgot to put forensic science in the sentence where employers and bio/chem degrees were being discussed.

i wanted to keep my biology major but double major in forensic science since a forensic major wont be good enough for forensic employers; they are looking at science majors. another reason i want to keep my bio degree is because it will have my pre-vet prereqs if i decide i want to pursue vet school once i work as a vet tech.

So when exactly are you going to work as a vet tech? Are you going to go to school for this first? Are you going to try to just get a job at a clinic? Are you going to stop your bio degree now and go to vet tech school then work as a tech and go back to your bio degree while working as a tech? Exactly what is going on here. I am not sure even you know what is going on. You are already in school working on a bio degree. Why don't you just get experience with a vet first before deciding vet med is where you want to go? You don't have to be a tech to gain the experience. This will allow you to know if vet med is worth your time at all; you may get vet experience and decide that neither vet school or vet tech school are things that you want to do.

Also, the bio degree... yes, it has the majority of the pre-vet prereqs but it does not have all of them. I am sure you have heard this before but you can major in anything you want and still do the prereqs for vet school. So if you want to major in forensic science and then do the additional prereqs on the side, then do that. You don't HAVE to be a bio major to get the prereqs. I honestly think that adding on a major is going to be very overwhelming for you when it is clear that you are already having a difficult time with courses now.

You NEED to figure out if vet med is even something that you want to do, go shadow a vet for a while, then decide what you want to do. Whatever you do, do NOT waste the time to go through 2 years of vet tech school just to gain experience in vet med.

So when exactly are you going to work as a vet tech? Are you going to go to school for this first? Are you going to try to just get a job at a clinic? Are you going to stop your bio degree now and go to vet tech school then work as a tech and go back to your bio degree while working as a tech? Exactly what is going on here. I am not sure even you know what is going on. You are already in school working on a bio degree. Why don't you just get experience with a vet first before deciding vet med is where you want to go? You don't have to be a tech to gain the experience. This will allow you to know if vet med is worth your time at all; you may get vet experience and decide that neither vet school or vet tech school are things that you want to do.

Also, the bio degree... yes, it has the majority of the pre-vet prereqs but it does not have all of them. I am sure you have heard this before but you can major in anything you want and still do the prereqs for vet school. So if you want to major in forensic science and then do the additional prereqs on the side, then do that. You don't HAVE to be a bio major to get the prereqs. I honestly think that adding on a major is going to be very overwhelming for you when it is clear that you are already having a difficult time with courses now.

You NEED to figure out if vet med is even something that you want to do, go shadow a vet for a while, then decide what you want to do. Whatever you do, do NOT waste the time to go through 2 years of vet tech school just to gain experience in vet med.

i wanted to finish my degree for forensics and apply for vet tech school after; i think i want to take a year off after graduating though. and my i will probably graduate in late 2014 or early 2015; which wouldve been the date even if i wasnt thinking about double majoring. remind you, i have 63 credits already; the bio degree and forensics degree requires 124 credits to graduate. and since those majors will overlap, i dont think it will take forever to graduate.

i wont be overwhelmed by the double major because my bio degree will overlap the forensics (biology track) degree.

as far as vet tech, going this direction will help me figure out if i really want to be in this field as a veterinarian. right along with getting experience.

what am i supposed to do since i'm not going to pursue veterinary school now? thats why i sat to myself and figured out what else i can see myself doing; so i chose to double major in forensic science. my bio degree will help because even though this field is competitive too,forensic employers are looking for sci degrees such as bio or chem.

i reallly feel like i'm repeating myself in this whole thread.

You can experience the veterinary field by shadowing/volunteering. Then you don't need to waste money going through a vet tech program. Use those two years of potential vet tech school to get experience volunteering in multiple vet med fields.

The smartest path to vet school is the cheapest path.

as far as vet tech, going this direction will help me figure out if i really want to be in this field as a veterinarian. right along with getting experience.

The is exactly the point I was trying to make. Do NOT waste your time getting a vet tech degree just to get the experience and find out if vet school is what you want. You CAN get experience with vets WITHOUT having to have a vet tech degree.... I spent 7 years working with vets and never stepped foot into a vet tech program. Do NOT waste the money unless you want to make vet tech a career or unless you absolutely HAVE to go that route to get experience (which you don't).

The is exactly the point I was trying to make. Do NOT waste your time getting a vet tech degree just to get the experience and find out if vet school is what you want. You CAN get experience with vets WITHOUT having to have a vet tech degree.... I spent 7 years working with vets and never stepped foot into a vet tech program. Do NOT waste the money unless you want to make vet tech a career or unless you absolutely HAVE to go that route to get experience (which you don't).

oh yeah, i know that i can go the cheaper route by just volunteering/shadowing. i wish i can do it now but i cant depend on transportation, dont feel safe walking to this bus stop near my home, and i'm not driving.

this summer, i wanted to focus on myself and try to learn how to drive. i'm tired of depending on others even thought there isny any. plus, its been longgg overdue that i learned how to drive.

i was just thinking about expenses with vet school; alot cheaper than vet tech. but i will keep in mind that i can just shadow/volunteer to see if this is what i want as far as the vet field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you can just focus on doing well in your biology and gen ed classes and getting a license through this summer, and then reassess from there. No need to fret too far into the future when everything else rides on getting good grades and being able to get places. Once this semester's over you'll know better whether or not you were able to buckle down and get A's like you said you will. You don't necessarily need to commit to tacking on a forensics major until after you've taken a class or two and deciding if you like it. Don't worry about keeping doors open until you're in the position to even open them in the first place

Just some friendly advice, some clinics will pay for their employees to vet tech school/take classes. Mine sure did, although I only took two classes to get experience. But, as long as you have worked there for a year, they will pay for all your classes.

On another note, make sure you meet with an adviser before you plunge into your double major. At my last school only a small number of credits could count towards the other major. That meant that if you need 16 elective credits (or whatever amount) for biology, only 6 could count towards say biological anthropology. Even if you took all of the courses that would normally count towards both majors, you had to take more electives to meet the requirements. I believe its called double dipping and many schools frown on it; they want double majors to "mean something".

1. Your plan sucks. You obviously don't have a grasp on how professional programs and their prospective careers works.

2. No matter your intentions to bring your grades up, I highly doubt you will be successful in getting all As from here on out, especially if you double major.

3. About the double major, there are certain amount of hours that can't overlap for the 2 majors... Otherwise you'd only have 1 major. I double majored, so I am familiar. There are some classes that will count towards both, usually beginners classes like BIO 101, etc. You WILL be overwhelmed... You WILL be taking additional courses. It's how school works.

4. A forensic science degree, even paired with a bio degree, won't get you much without a masters and most likely a PhD... Otherwise you'll just be a glorified lab technician.

5. You don't drive, you have relationship problems with your parents if I remember right, and you have failed multiple classes in school. You have an overwhelming amount of personal obstacles to overcome. To become a productive, successful member of a profession comes with considerable sacrifice and dedication, which I think won't come easy to you. Perhaps you should really consider what you want to do with you life. Take the career aptitude test at your career center in college, talk to a therapist about your struggles, and get a tutor for every class you aren't averaging Bs on for the tests.

6. Seek career and personal advice from a counselor and advisor from school.... From people that actually know you. Not people on an Internet forum that you continue to shoot down and ignore really good advice from.

I agree with whomever said that a public speaking or other communication course at school is a good place to start. For some vet schools, if you decide to go that route, require a public speaking course, so it's a classic 2 birds with one stone situation:)

Other suggestions:
Get a summer job working with the public, like retail sales or food service. I worked in retail for years before going to college and nothing makes you a better communicator than dealing with the often irrational general public.

Read a lot-newspapers, books, whatever you can get your hands on. (I suggest James Herriott's books for an awesome but unrealistic view of vet med, or Dr. Nick Trout's books for a better view of current vet med-again, 2 birds/1 stone) By reading you'll be observing proper sentence structure and train of thought organization. You'll also passively gain a better vocabulary, actively if when you encounter a word you don't know you look it up.

Take the time to use proper capitalization and punctuation in posts on SDN or elsewhere, even in your personal emails or on Facebook. I'm old fashioned in this way, but your ability to communicate effectively in writing is very important and IMO speaks volumes to your intent and interest in the subject you are writing about.

As for a way to learn how to take constructive criticisms, I suggest taking a non academic class to learn a skill like cooking or knitting or kayaking-something that you have no idea how to do, but that is a no pressure situation. Learn that skill from the instructor humbly. If you can't afford an instructor/class, ask a family member or neighbor to teach you something, but treat them the same way as you would have an instructor. Tell them what you are trying to do and why. Don't be embarrassed, it's never a bad thing to try and better yourself.

I have to say that I really agree with what many have said, FutureVet. I think you're in too much of a hurry to figure out your future. Figure out yourself first. A career is just that, but you have to live with yourself forever. There is nothing wrong with not knowing what you want or failing to get what you want the first time around. I just started vet school this year, at 32 years old. I don't know how old you are, but regardless you have plenty of time to get wherever you are going.

Take the time to use proper capitalization and punctuation in posts on SDN or elsewhere, even in your personal emails or on Facebook. I'm old fashioned in this way, but your ability to communicate effectively in writing is very important and IMO speaks volumes to your intent and interest in the subject you are writing about.

This x500000000000. I know this is just a mostly anonymous internet forum, but I still cringe when I see people type on here with complete disregard to proper grammar usage, including capitalization. I don't say anything about it usually because it is just an internet forum and really is not a big deal if someone does not want to use proper grammar on it, but these forums are not as anonymous as people think and adcoms often frequent these forums. I guarantee that if they do a little bit of digging they could probably figure out who some of us are. I also grew up with both of my grandparents being strict about the proper use of English, my grandfather is a (now retired) college English professor and my grandmother was also a teacher. My grandfather said that over the past 7 years or so of his teaching English courses that students started submitting essays with the abbreviations they would use when texting a friend. He had to start putting in his syllabus at the beginning of the term that "text talk" is not acceptable in written essays and any essay containing it would receive an automatic F. He had students that were actually confused because they were so used to abbreviating words that they didn't seem to realize that "y" is not a real word (this is just an example). I also had some amazing English teachers growing up, including a teacher in eighth grade where "nah" and "yea" were not allowed, it was "yes" or "no" and if you said either "nah" or "yea" three times within a day, you would have to write out the words yes and no 50 times as an assignment. (Although, I have reverted back to saying yea quite a bit. :oops:) That is just my opinion, but perhaps I just inherited my grandparents strictness for proper English grammar.

This x500000000000. I know this is just a mostly anonymous internet forum, but I still cringe when I see people type on here with complete disregard to proper grammar usage, including capitalization.

oops me bad. i only capitalize when i'm on my phone and it automatically does it for me :rolleyes:

oops me bad. i only capitalize when i'm on my phone and it automatically does it for me :rolleyes:

The capitalization doesn't bother me as much as the no apostrophes and obvious misuse of proper grammar that the OP has shown. Some of the OP's posts are difficult to follow because of the lack of proper grammar and that should be addressed, even on an online internet forum. It is hard to give a person opinions on something when they aren't communicating effectively and then they are getting mad at you because you, "aren't reading right." Again, to each their own for how they type on here. Personally, for me, it is just second nature for me to hit the shift key when needing to capitalize something; I know that is not the case for everyone.

ETA: I have never noticed that you don't capitalize words. So kind of surprised me when you said that you don't.

6. Seek career and personal advice from a counselor and advisor from school.... From people that actually know you. Not people on an Internet forum that you continue to shoot down and ignore really good advice from.

:thumbup: Schools have really good people available to you in both the career center and academic advising. They know how to guide you to experiences to help you decided what you want to do, and direct your courses to be appropriate for that decision.

As far as learning to communicate, check out your school's business school. My first degree is in business management, and we had to take several classes on communication. Public speaking is one skill, but writing effective emails and briefs and realizing how wording affects others reactions are other unrelated skills. Business school has this covered!

Naw you guys are so sweet.

But I agree 100% with the idea that your writing affects people's perception of you in a professional setting, and +1000 to DVMDreamer's post about effective email writing. Especially with younger people who have not been in the work force, it's amazing how much of a difference a polite and professional email/cover letter makes when looking for volunteer or work opportunities. When I've been in the position to recruit and evaluate volunteers/coworkers, I've definitely slashed people just because their writing made them seem like they were either not considerate or lacked attention to detail. The people who made the final cut were those who made themselves sound energetic, educated, and were very polite. No one wants to work with people who nag you on email or ask confusing questions. Sounds really obvious, but these are actually pretty complex skills that need to be worked on over time, and not everyone has it.

:thumbup: Schools have really good people available to you in both the career center and academic advising. They know how to guide you to experiences to help you decided what you want to do, and direct your courses to be appropriate for that decision.

As far as learning to communicate, check out your school's business school. My first degree is in business management, and we had to take several classes on communication. Public speaking is one skill, but writing effective emails and briefs and realizing how wording affects others reactions are other unrelated skills. Business school has this covered!

And besides the obvious benefit of the class, I know some schools have some sort of required communication or public speaking prerequisite, so there's really no reason not to take one.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

If you want it badly enough, you'll be able to do it. You just don't seem like you are that fiercely dedicated to vet med. How do you know that you want to do it, if you've never even shadowed? I'm not saying that your passion can't grow, I'm just saying don't jump to conclusions. You really do have to be sure. When I first started volunteering at the CC/ER clinic that I'm at 2x a week, one of the doctors asked me if I "had" to do this. I am a fairly timid person usually, but I didn't (and couldn't) hesitate. Yes. I HAVE to do this. My advice to you is this: figure out if this is what you HAVE to do. Then, do it. Work hard, really, really hard. Get A's and shadow in a variety of practices. If you (truly) need to pursue vet med, that shouldn't seem too terrible.

I think all vet schools require English classes (at least all the ones I looked at), and some require one of those to be a composition class. My advice for learning more effective communication would be to take a rhetoric or English composition class - it will count towards your vet school pre-requsites and will teach you a great deal about communicating well in writing. For example, I took a class at my undergrad called "Writing in the Sciences" in which one of the assignments was to find a published science article and then re-write it to substantially improve clarity and enjoyablility for the reader.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

If you want it badly enough, you'll be able to do it. You just don't seem like you are that fiercely dedicated to vet med. How do you know that you want to do it, if you've never even shadowed? I'm not saying that your passion can't grow, I'm just saying don't jump to conclusions. You really do have to be sure. When I first started volunteering at the CC/ER clinic that I'm at 2x a week, one of the doctors asked me if I "had" to do this. I am a fairly timid person usually, but I didn't (and couldn't) hesitate. Yes. I HAVE to do this. My advice to you is this: figure out if this is what you HAVE to do. Then, do it. Work hard, really, really hard. Get A's and shadow in a variety of practices. If you (truly) need to pursue vet med, that shouldn't seem too terrible.

:thumbup:

i've talked with a professor who has a bachelors in biology and a masters in forensic science; she was also CSI before teaching :) i will plan a meeting with her so she can show me a tour.

she advised me to have one major; the forensic science degree is full of sciences, so i think i'll switch to forensic science when i'm eligible to be in the program. but for fall, i'm going to try to add a survey of forensic science class to my schedule to see if i like it before trying to switch majors.

i'm just worried that with me possibly just having a major in forensic science, that employers wouldnt consider me.

i'm just worried that with me possibly just having a major in forensic science, that employers wouldnt consider me.

You're getting the 'stick with one major' advice from someone who's been in that field. I would trust that, or talk to someone currently in the field if you're still worried.