Is TPRH's solubility rules good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JP2740

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or should I use the more in depth Berkeley rules.

Members don't see this ad.

im using TPR as i was going along with the AAMC and they seemed to be fine. its not so much the rules that are important (you should still know them) but how to apply them which might be a little trickier. solubility questions deal with "experiment" passages often, so knowing the rules only takes you so far. you have to be able to extrapolate on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely they'll give you some confusing passage about different rules and some Ksp's and then ask you to extrapolate information from that. I would know that stuff inside in out ( speaking from experience).

im using TPR as i was going along with the AAMC and they seemed to be fine. its not so much the rules that are important (you should still know them) but how to apply them which might be a little trickier. solubility questions deal with "experiment" passages often, so knowing the rules only takes you so far. you have to be able to extrapolate on your own.

exactly...

Sorry that doesn't really answer my Q. It seems Berkeley's rules are way more in depth than TPR. So is it cool if I just stick with TPR?

TBR does not really offer an in-depth "solubility rules". There is a list of 5 rules on pg. 186. Those are pretty simple to remember. +1 cations, -1 anions, NO3-, and SO42- are soluble. -2/-3 anions are mostly insoluble, oxides and hydroxide anions are usually soluble. The rules are for the most part "in general" and have exceptions, also the priorities are mostly in the above respected orders.

In the end, this can maybe get you a point but I believe it's more important to understand the differences in molar solubility vs. solubility products. Also focus on the experimental stuff like Ion Exchange columns. I did well on the TBR Equilibria passages and I did not remember very much detail from the chapter. The main points at the beginning is what you really want to understand inside and out. Finally, bring your curiosity to the passages, focus, and you'll do well.