Is UConn Really that Good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonicguy20

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a junior and I will be applying to dental schools this summer. I took my DAT in August and got a 23 AA, and have started to think about where I am going to apply. UConn really wasn't on my radar until this past week when I saw multiple posts comparing it to Harvard, Columbia, Penn, UCLA, UCSF, etc. I guess my question is: is UConn really on par with these schools? I understand that it is very affordable, but is it as academically elite as these other programs? What's all the hype about?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is.

I'd pick UConn over my state school (UNC) [personal reasons which I'll not share on SDN]. I also calculated the total COA and UConn would be cheaper than UNC by a small margin. It'd be a win-win but I got rejected there...

Reactions: 1 users
I just put down a deposit at UConn so I might be a little biased, but in my view it's definitely in that upper tier of schools for reasons already stated. Sure, you might be able to go into any specialty you want if you go to Harvard (just as an example argument) but I feel like UConn's clinical program prepares you much, much better for real dentistry and they still maintain an extremely high match rate for specialties. The relatively low COA is just the cherry on top of all the other great things.

Plus, interview aside, I really, really enjoyed the atmosphere there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I weren't HPSP at Columbia, I would really be regretting coming here over UConn

Yes it is for the reasons addressed above. However, their OOS preferance is for New England applicants. Being OOS outside New England is quite competitive.

Reactions: 1 users