Is UCSD nearly impossible to get into? What does it take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergrad at UCSD. Transferred in as a Junior. URM. Reinvented nontrad (late 20s).

I will likely need a year after graduating to build my application (volunteer and clinical hours). I would love to stay here but obviously understand it's a top Medical school...I understand that it is very competitive...and I do have a poor academic past (10 yrs ago).

What might it take to get in? Would my best bet be to work with and impress professors that are involved in the medical school here (research)? (assuming UC GPA and MCAT are good)

In the application, should I focus on how I would contribute to a diverse campus?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an undergrad at UCSD. Transferred in as a Junior. URM. Reinvented nontrad (late 20s).

I will likely need a year after graduating to build my application (volunteer and clinical hours). I would love to stay here but obviously understand it's a top Medical school...I understand that it is very competitive...and I do have a poor academic past (10 yrs ago).

What might it take to get in? Would my best bet be to work with and impress professors that are involved in the medical school here (research)? (assuming UC GPA and MCAT are good)

In the application, should I focus on how I would contribute to a diverse campus?
You should focus on not getting so attached with the idea of attending a particular med school.

Reactions: 5 users

60% of students that apply to medical school every year don't get in anywhere, 20% of those who apply will get into 1 school, and 20% will get into multiple. It's fine to have a preference for a piticular school, but don't get overly attached. With that said, try to make connections, do research at the school, kill the MCAT, have a great GPA, volunteer in a clinical setting, try to write about some difficulties you had to overcome as a URM / how you will contribute to a diverse campus, and then hope for the best.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should focus on not getting so attached with the idea of attending a particular med school.
I've just asked what it takes to get into this school and if it is an unrealistic attempt. I obviously understand that there are no guarantees - as I've written "I understand it's a top medical school...I understand it's very competitive."

Reactions: 1 user
I've just asked what it takes to get into this school and if it is an unrealistic attempt. I obviously understand that there are no guarantees - as I've written "I understand it's a top medical school...I understand it's very competitive."
What I'm trying to say is that there really is no formula to get into a particular school as adcoms are trying to build a diverse class.

If you're interested in what it takes to get into UCSD, you can go on the admissions website or MSAR to see the stats of matriculants and what ECs they've paricipated in prior to matriculating.

Reactions: 1 users
Would it be possible to speak with admissions officers before sending in an early-decision application?

60% of students that apply to medical school every year don't get in anywhere, 20% of those who apply will get into 1 school, and 20% will get into multiple. It's fine to have a preference for a piticular school, but don't get overly attached. With that said, try to make connections, do research at the school, kill the MCAT, have a great GPA, volunteer in a clinical setting, try to write about some difficulties you had to overcome as a URM / how you will contribute to a diverse campus, and then hope for the best.

Is it really that bad? Man....

Reactions: 1 user
Median cGPA for acceptees is: 3.84
Median sGPA for acceptees is: 3.83
Median MCAT for acceptees is: 517
25th %iles for each are: 3.7, 3.65 and 513

As this is a school that everybody wants to go to, I suggest that you have stats that are > their 25th %iles. The higher up the pole one wants to climb, the better you need to be.

This is a similar analogy, but as an undergraduate attending a UC, the only school that put me on hold was my own undergrad, a school notorious for "liking" their own students. Moral of the story: don't get too attached to one school. They may not appreciate/value you like you appreciate/value them.
Oh I'm certain they don't haha.

It's 80 degrees out here as of late... would certainly be nice to stay for several more years!

They love the military

Joining the military to boost your medical school application: a very radical tactic. You had better be very sure you are going to complete your term of service honorably and do your very best if you go down that road.

:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll::troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: